UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

Fred the flowerhorn

Go down 
+19
alan j t
CSnyder00
BFinley
fishhomie
iron
joey
alkomist
ricardorocks
Raschael
Holey Rock of Texas
Rachael0805
hydrodmg
KMX
fabfish
CajunGator
JACK D
R2 Ranch
SLAYERR34
philuponthepho
23 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage

Fred the flowerhorn - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Fred the flowerhorn   Fred the flowerhorn - Page 3 Icon_minitime12/15/2009, 2:38 pm

First topic message reminder :

I managed to get a few good pics of Fred today and thought I would share them
Fred the flowerhorn - Page 3 DSCN1520Fred the flowerhorn - Page 3 DSCN1522Fred the flowerhorn - Page 3 DSCN1502Fred the flowerhorn - Page 3 DSCN1506Fred the flowerhorn - Page 3 DSCN1525
I was holding the bloodworms with my fingers to get him still enough to get a decent pic of him. He only nipped me once and was quite careful of my fingers after that.

Can any one tell me if Fred is a boy or a girl?
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
ricardorocks
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

PostSubject: Re: Fred the flowerhorn   Fred the flowerhorn - Page 3 Icon_minitime2/23/2010, 1:41 pm

alkomist wrote:
lol how can a mean a$$ fish have such a nice name??

FlowerHorn???........
haha Fred the flowerhorn - Page 3 858205 good
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Fred the flowerhorn   Fred the flowerhorn - Page 3 Icon_minitime2/23/2010, 2:28 pm

They are a man made hybrid. The flower comes from the outlined spots they get and horn comes from their big kok (head hump) They are supposedly a lucky fish, there was a craze on them a few years back when some Chinese guy (or some country like that) bought one and won the major lottery there, some of these guys can cost $10k each. Sometimes they will develop Chinese lettering in their spots and that makes them worth more. There is also some places that say having one in your house makes your life move on the upward path to success..... There's a whole lot of myths running around the flowerhorn.
Tim you need to be constantly doing something in your flowerhorns tank, get him used to you being in there. Feed him by hand. These fish have a whole lot of personality and if you work with them they will be a very loving fish instead of a fish that tries to take chunks out of your hand.
Fred will gently pluck snails off my fingers to eat them. He has only bit me one time, when he did I was hand feeding him bloodworms, he backed up looked at my finger and looked at the food, then ever so gently took a small bit of blood worm. He has never bit me again. The first time yours bites you do not jerk your hand back. Let him figure out that you are friend not food.
Fred now 'helps' me with all maintenance I do in his tank, anything I do he is right there trying to 'help' even when I am scraping his glass with a razorblade he swims right along with my hand.
Back to top Go down
alkomist
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
alkomist

Favorite Fish: :

┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘
┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘

PostSubject: Re: Fred the flowerhorn   Fred the flowerhorn - Page 3 Icon_minitime2/23/2010, 3:23 pm

FISH, like ppl!!! Have different personalities!!!!!
i had a convict that ma mom went crazy on!!!! lol she used to tlk to it and it would rub up ahainst the glass and follow her finger!! it would nip at me and every 1 else exept her!!!! JERK!!! lol
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Fred the flowerhorn   Fred the flowerhorn - Page 3 Icon_minitime2/23/2010, 3:49 pm

do flowerhorns have super sharp teeth or a powerfull bite? ive heard about them taking kids fingers off
Back to top Go down
alkomist
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
alkomist

┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘
┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘

PostSubject: Re: Fred the flowerhorn   Fred the flowerhorn - Page 3 Icon_minitime2/23/2010, 3:56 pm

Fred the flowerhorn - Page 3 Affraid WHAT??? thats krazy!!! i wanna know if this is true also!!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Fred the flowerhorn   Fred the flowerhorn - Page 3 Icon_minitime2/23/2010, 3:58 pm

i believe it was fabfish's son. i could be wrong tho
Back to top Go down
alkomist
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
alkomist

┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘
┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘

PostSubject: Re: Fred the flowerhorn   Fred the flowerhorn - Page 3 Icon_minitime2/23/2010, 4:00 pm

lol dam that sux!!!
Back to top Go down
CajunGator
CajunGator

Favorite Fish: : Cichlids, WC Syn Petricola, Shellies, Festae, Mbu Puffers, Koi Angels, ABN, Piranha, Mermaids

PostSubject: Re: Fred the flowerhorn   Fred the flowerhorn - Page 3 Icon_minitime2/23/2010, 4:24 pm

i dont think flowerhorns have teeth..
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Fred the flowerhorn   Fred the flowerhorn - Page 3 Icon_minitime2/24/2010, 7:32 am

Oh yes they do! When they get big they can bite chunks out of you. Fred is getting a nice set of chompers on him already.
He bit a net the other day and it took me a while to get it off his teeth.

If you work with them you wont ever have to worry about them biting you, Unless you end up with one that is just plain old mean.
Back to top Go down
alkomist
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
alkomist

┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘
┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘

PostSubject: Re: Fred the flowerhorn   Fred the flowerhorn - Page 3 Icon_minitime2/24/2010, 9:11 am

Dam................i used to have a 10" red devil that would open feezer pops for me:)
he didnt do it cuz he was nice he did it cuz he was mean!!!!! lol
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Fred the flowerhorn   Fred the flowerhorn - Page 3 Icon_minitime2/24/2010, 9:40 am

lol!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Fred the flowerhorn   Fred the flowerhorn - Page 3 Icon_minitime2/27/2010, 3:46 pm

Ok Fred and Martha are now in a divided 55g. I put Martha in first because she is the smaller one and I just put in Fred, within an hour both have their breeding tubes down! Pics and video to come!
Martha is acting submissive and Fred keeps biting the divider.... Still dont know who is boy or girl.. I got pics of Freds vent though when I moved him.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Fred the flowerhorn   Fred the flowerhorn - Page 3 Icon_minitime2/27/2010, 5:12 pm

Ok here's pics of Fred's vent... What is Fred boy or girl?Fred the flowerhorn - Page 3 DSCN2172Fred the flowerhorn - Page 3 DSCN2171

Here is the meet and greet video of them... Sorry about the water spots..
Fred the flowerhorn - Page 3 Th_DSCN2191
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Fred the flowerhorn   Fred the flowerhorn - Page 3 Icon_minitime2/27/2010, 5:21 pm

i dunno what fred is but im excited about the possibility of baby flowerhorns

Fred the flowerhorn - Page 3 393849
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Fred the flowerhorn   Fred the flowerhorn - Page 3 Icon_minitime2/27/2010, 5:23 pm

ps fred is huge compared to martha
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Fred the flowerhorn   Fred the flowerhorn - Page 3 Icon_minitime2/27/2010, 5:26 pm

When I got them Martha was the bigger one, then she went on a food strike. She is eating again so she gets a few pellets every time I walk by.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Fred the flowerhorn   Fred the flowerhorn - Page 3 Icon_minitime2/27/2010, 6:17 pm

i hope everything goes good, someone needs to chime in allready. we need to know!!!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Fred the flowerhorn   Fred the flowerhorn - Page 3 Icon_minitime2/27/2010, 6:49 pm

No eggs on either side of the tank yet... but the divider is holding i q u fighting lol!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Fred the flowerhorn   Fred the flowerhorn - Page 3 Icon_minitime2/27/2010, 6:50 pm

lol!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Fred the flowerhorn   Fred the flowerhorn - Page 3 Icon_minitime3/15/2010, 10:35 am

Fred the flowerhorn - Page 3 DSCN2180
Back to top Go down
ricardorocks
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
ricardorocks

Favorite Fish: : halfmoon bettas and any nice looking cichlids

PostSubject: Re: Fred the flowerhorn   Fred the flowerhorn - Page 3 Icon_minitime3/15/2010, 12:22 pm

fern man he looks good i love his colors do you know what kind bof flowerhorn fred is
Back to top Go down
ricardorocks
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
ricardorocks

PostSubject: Re: Fred the flowerhorn   Fred the flowerhorn - Page 3 Icon_minitime3/15/2010, 12:25 pm

freds has nice colors hes body says girl but he acts like a boy with those colors good luck
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Fred the flowerhorn   Fred the flowerhorn - Page 3 Icon_minitime3/15/2010, 2:14 pm

Red dragon. I know what your saying! That belly says female but everything else says male..... I was hoping someone could sex him from the vent pics I took......
Back to top Go down
ricardorocks
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
ricardorocks

PostSubject: Re: Fred the flowerhorn   Fred the flowerhorn - Page 3 Icon_minitime3/15/2010, 2:19 pm

exacly what i meant lol!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Fred the flowerhorn   Fred the flowerhorn - Page 3 Icon_minitime4/10/2010, 10:50 am

Here are some bad pics.....
From aboveFred the flowerhorn - Page 3 DSCN2316Fred the flowerhorn - Page 3 DSCN2282Fred the flowerhorn - Page 3 DSCN2273
And both Fred and MarthaFred the flowerhorn - Page 3 DSCN2317
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Fred the flowerhorn   Fred the flowerhorn - Page 3 Icon_minitime4/10/2010, 10:58 am

Oops missed a cute one!Fred the flowerhorn - Page 3 DSCN2232
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fred the flowerhorn   Fred the flowerhorn - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Fred the flowerhorn
Page 3 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next