UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

Water changes

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
sunrisor
Private
Private

Water changes Empty
PostSubject: Water changes   Water changes Icon_minitime4/14/2014, 9:02 pm

I have a (currently empty) 55 gal planted tank with T5 6700K in 2 24" standard hoods. Lights are on for 9 hours. I had 2-3" of gravel, and used only distilled water. Had mostly Java ferns (only thing that seemed to survive). Marineland canister filter 350 with double bio-wheel.

I had a very bad algae problem, a thick spider web type that (I think) came in when I purchased some live plants. Never had an issue before that. Initially used some fertilizer pellets, but nothing after that.

Water testing always showed everything normal, even PH. I never had a large number of fish at any one time. I've had this setup for more than 10 years and never had an algae issue til I brought in live plants.

I completely emptied my 55 gal., flushed it, then added 6-8 oz of bleach, let it soak overnight then flushed again. I trashed all the ornaments, gravel and all the plants (still have 3 fish, lost several during the winter power failure!)This is not something I wish to do again.

Here is my question (finally): I would add water when the level went down, I would remove about 10% during filter changes, but never vacuumed the gravel. Can someone define a proper water change? Or do I have light/nutrient imbalance. Or should I go back to plastic plants?

I read some stuff about people putting sand, top soil, etc. Don't think I would mind sand, top soil?....Can someone help?

Back to top Go down
Dr. Who
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Water changes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Water changes   Water changes Icon_minitime6/20/2014, 9:31 pm

The key to growing plants is light. Your 55 gal. tank is a little tall for the light to be strong enough to get to the bottom.

Why are you using distilled water?

When you say other plants what are you talking about. What types of plants?

Crypts and hygropholia should grow in a 55 gal. Amazon Swords will require more light.

You should also have some fish in your aquarium to produce fertilizer for plant.

Plants eat the final process of your cycle. Nitrites.

Water changes should be 25 percent every week.

Algae is coming from phosphorus and not enough plants to out compete the algae.
Back to top Go down

Water changes
Page 1 of 1