UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.

Blue Crayfish

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
2SciCrazed
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
2SciCrazed

Favorite Fish: : Anything that's not belly up!

Blue Crayfish Empty
PostSubject: Blue Crayfish   Blue Crayfish Icon_minitime12/31/2010, 5:46 am

Been looking at these for a while, but haven't found them for under $18 each. Until yesterday that is! Ended up going by Aquatic Critter (Nashville) in my quest for black sand. Figured I'd get some more brine shrimp for the class research and ghost shrimp as well. Lo-and-behold what did I spy in two of their tanks - 'Blue lobsters'!

Never seen this store carry crayfish. Intrigued, I walked over. Sure enough, one tank was $20 - but the other said 'small blue lobster $5.99.... My price range!

Now I have two crayfish in the 29T planted tank at work. The Bichars investigated them but wisely decided they were too big and well armed to mess with. Crayfish relaxed fast when they realized there were plants and rocks all around - and quickly found the spot where all the shrimp pellets and gel week feeders fall. Began to eat right next to the cories and Bichars.

Students are going to trip out on them next week! They're already hooked on the Bichars, and now that there's no big mid/upper swimming level fish in the tank those are very VERY active during the day.

Here's a stock pic of them:[img]Blue Crayfish Blue_c11[/img]
Back to top Go down
istrober
istrober

Favorite Fish: : Africans, Peacocks, Catfish.. pertty much everything that has fins and tail...

Blue Crayfish Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blue Crayfish   Blue Crayfish Icon_minitime12/31/2010, 7:07 am

wow i wish i can have some of those!, good find... Blue Crayfish 393849
Back to top Go down

Blue Crayfish Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blue Crayfish   Blue Crayfish Icon_minitime12/31/2010, 7:14 am

Be careful if fish go missing you know who's to blame.
Back to top Go down
istrober
istrober

Favorite Fish: : Africans, Peacocks, Catfish.. pertty much everything that has fins and tail...

Blue Crayfish Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blue Crayfish   Blue Crayfish Icon_minitime12/31/2010, 7:16 am

lol thats true, i would just keep it in a big tank with a lot of rocks...
Back to top Go down
2SciCrazed
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
2SciCrazed

Blue Crayfish Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blue Crayfish   Blue Crayfish Icon_minitime12/31/2010, 8:02 am

Have much bigger native crayfish in the Brim tank. So far no minnows have dissappeared. Many crayfish are primarily herbivores/detritivores, only going after dead/injured fish. They're more apt to BE fish food (native fish prey heavily on them) So as long as they've got plenty of shrimp pellets/algae waifers/bottom weekend gel feeders - they don't mess with healthy fish.

However I am going to add a ton of feeder guppies to that tank since it's home to predatory Bichars. So if the crayfish can catch the little feeders - more power to them.
Back to top Go down
istrober
istrober

Blue Crayfish Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blue Crayfish   Blue Crayfish Icon_minitime12/31/2010, 8:05 am

man i'll love to watch that.. take some video if you can please!!
Back to top Go down
2SciCrazed
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
2SciCrazed

Blue Crayfish Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blue Crayfish   Blue Crayfish Icon_minitime12/31/2010, 8:09 am

Think the husband threw out the charger to the video camera.... grrrrrr.... Looked everwhere for it on the 24th!
Back to top Go down
istrober
istrober

Blue Crayfish Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blue Crayfish   Blue Crayfish Icon_minitime12/31/2010, 8:21 am

lol! time to buy a new one!!
Back to top Go down
2SciCrazed
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
2SciCrazed

Blue Crayfish Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blue Crayfish   Blue Crayfish Icon_minitime1/1/2011, 1:21 pm

Nah, BestBuy hooked me up yesterday with a 'travel charger' - and then I decided to finally buy the photo card for the thing so that I can take still digitals...

I'll get pics on Monday of them. Did check on them yesterday and added some rosy minnow to the tank. Everyone was doing well and getting along fine. Both crayfish have found their own 'spots' at opposite corners.
Back to top Go down
2SciCrazed
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
2SciCrazed

Blue Crayfish Empty
PostSubject: Pics   Blue Crayfish Icon_minitime1/9/2011, 12:11 pm

Doing very well. They pinch the predatory Bichirs everytime the bigger fish come to investigate their shrimp pellets - Have no problem with the cories as long as the cories find their OWN pellets! These crayfish prefer the shrimp pellets over the algea pellets - unlike the native crayfish I have in another tank.

Minnows and feeder guppies dissappear regularly - and everyone's fat and happy!

Here's the best shot I could get of the sneaky blue crayfish:

[img]Blue Crayfish Blue_c10[/img]
Back to top Go down
CSnyder00
CSnyder00

Favorite Fish: : Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba, Ocellatus, Any bright-colored freshwater cichlid

Blue Crayfish Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blue Crayfish   Blue Crayfish Icon_minitime1/9/2011, 12:31 pm

Nice! I really want one, but couldn't afford to lose any fish! lol
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Blue Crayfish Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blue Crayfish   Blue Crayfish Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Blue Crayfish
Page 1 of 1