UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

choosing the right fish.? opinions? facts?

Go down 
+2
08can-am
cesparza92
6 posters
AuthorMessage
cesparza92
Private
Private
cesparza92

Favorite Fish: : Gold Dojo Loach (Weather Loach) and Blood Parrot Cichlid.

choosing the right fish.? opinions? facts? Empty
PostSubject: choosing the right fish.? opinions? facts?   choosing the right fish.? opinions? facts? Icon_minitime12/15/2010, 4:27 am

i was thinking of getting a stripped peacock eel, an angel and a discus, clown loaches, and some panda corys.black ghost knife?. would these guys do good together? any of them im just throwing out some fishes that i like
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: choosing the right fish.? opinions? facts?   choosing the right fish.? opinions? facts? Icon_minitime12/15/2010, 7:35 am

No, eels and knives get big and aggressive. Discus are tricky fish to keep.

You could do 6 small angels, a few clown loaches and 6 panda corys in a 55g tank.
You would need to sell off 4 of the angels after they pair, they really only work well with one pair in a tank.
Back to top Go down
cesparza92
Private
Private
cesparza92

PostSubject: Re: choosing the right fish.? opinions? facts?   choosing the right fish.? opinions? facts? Icon_minitime12/15/2010, 4:01 pm

i have an 80 gal. yea discus are im not planning on doin any of these fish anytime soon. i just wanna get a goal set
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: choosing the right fish.? opinions? facts?   choosing the right fish.? opinions? facts? Icon_minitime12/15/2010, 4:45 pm

Discus need at least 5 in a group to lessen stress related illness. So you need to start out by buying at least 5 at one time. If you have never had SA cichlids I suggest starting with angels in a planted tank. Eels and knives are more for like arrowanas or larger top dwelling fish. (That is only my opinion of what I like)
Back to top Go down
cesparza92
Private
Private
cesparza92

PostSubject: Re: choosing the right fish.? opinions? facts?   choosing the right fish.? opinions? facts? Icon_minitime12/15/2010, 9:14 pm

yea cause i want something that well balance it out. something at top bottom middle. colorful and all around same size. between the ghost or the eel its one or the other. i just love the long fishes. and with the discus would it be better to get one first learn how take care of it den add the rest?
Back to top Go down
08can-am
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3

Favorite Fish: : Any thing reef friendl

PostSubject: Re: choosing the right fish.? opinions? facts?   choosing the right fish.? opinions? facts? Icon_minitime12/15/2010, 9:45 pm

Discus are a bit of money to just try to figure out. In my opinion I'd find a good local fish store and just go in there and look at all the fish. Talk to the owner and try to get an idea of the ones you like, ask questions ect. My two cents. I started a long time ago with tiger barbs, tetras, and bala sharks(go petsmart!) they all did good and were entertaining. Not expensive. And tough fish. It's all in what you like.
Back to top Go down
cesparza92
Private
Private
cesparza92

PostSubject: Re: choosing the right fish.? opinions? facts?   choosing the right fish.? opinions? facts? Icon_minitime12/15/2010, 10:48 pm

im actually giving away my tetras with my platys and i had some bala sharks but gave them away already. i wanna start it all over again with some different fish
Back to top Go down
wblueus
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Favorite Fish: : cichlids

PostSubject: Re: choosing the right fish.? opinions? facts?   choosing the right fish.? opinions? facts? Icon_minitime12/15/2010, 10:57 pm

Since i live in a small town with no petshop i have to order my fish online threw live aquaria , pet solutions, or a few others..Pretty good luck with them.......i have had fair luck with wal mart fish
Back to top Go down
08can-am
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3

Favorite Fish: : Any thing reef friendl

PostSubject: Re: choosing the right fish.? opinions? facts?   choosing the right fish.? opinions? facts? Icon_minitime12/16/2010, 5:45 am

do africans or some peacocks. They offer plenty of color.
Back to top Go down
Elrollo
Major
Major
Elrollo

Favorite Fish: : Blue Acaras...first fish I ever breed still have a soft spot for them

PostSubject: Re: choosing the right fish.? opinions? facts?   choosing the right fish.? opinions? facts? Icon_minitime12/16/2010, 7:14 am

I would not recommend the EEL besides the fact the get a real good size the hide. You can usually see them in the store due to lack of hiding places, but in a set-up aquarium they disappear. The knife fish get hugh. The lfs has 2 knife fish in a 75 that cannot turn around in the tank.

Everything else would probably be fine Angels can be a bit finnicky, Discus are real finnicy.
Panda cory's get along pretty well with everyone. Clown loaches get a decent size but are managable and the might nip some fins (just something to keep an eye on).

All the fish you have listed are warm tropicals they can do alright at 72 deg but really perfer it around 78-80 (discus might be a little warmer). Angels and discus also perfer lower pH 6-6.5 (not sure about the loach and cories)
Best of luck on your endevor and keep us posted on how it goes surfing
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

Favorite Fish: : African Cichlids of all kinds.

PostSubject: Re: choosing the right fish.? opinions? facts?   choosing the right fish.? opinions? facts? Icon_minitime12/16/2010, 7:54 am

wblueus (Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:57 pm) wrote:
i have had fair luck with wal mart fish

Wall -mart sells hybrids... I would stay away from there. usafishbox
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: choosing the right fish.? opinions? facts?   choosing the right fish.? opinions? facts? Icon_minitime12/16/2010, 10:35 am

Look up kuhli loaches, they have the eel like body but stay nice and small, if you did a group of 6 you will see them.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: choosing the right fish.? opinions? facts?   choosing the right fish.? opinions? facts? Icon_minitime12/16/2010, 11:10 am

Be sure if you have eels or kuhlis to cover your tank as they are jumpers. I used netting over my eel tanks when I had them as they can get out of the smallest of holes.
Back to top Go down
cesparza92
Private
Private
cesparza92

PostSubject: Re: choosing the right fish.? opinions? facts?   choosing the right fish.? opinions? facts? Icon_minitime12/16/2010, 7:47 pm

yea i like having the kuhlis' their fun to watch i have 2. my temperture now 76 im puttin up lil by lil until it gets to 80. this is gona be hard. but least im takin my time this time. before i get anyfish im gona get plants and get those well established an nice and green.
Back to top Go down
2SciCrazed
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
2SciCrazed

Favorite Fish: : Anything that's not belly up!

PostSubject: Re: choosing the right fish.? opinions? facts?   choosing the right fish.? opinions? facts? Icon_minitime12/16/2010, 8:08 pm

Black Ghost knifes need a tank size of 75G when full grown I've read. That's why I've never gotten one.

Have also read and been told that Kulu's need temps under 80F. So I gave some I got for free to a friend who's tank stays at 76. (My tank stays at 80)

Angels can be very temperamental. The friend I gave the Kulu's to used to keep a bunch of them. (Living room full of tanks when she was younger). Had some Angels that lived harmoniously with others - had others that would kill everything else in the tank. I also stay away from these. Prefer cichlids that are relatively predictable in their expected behavior.

Discus? Don't know anything about them. That'd be a cool looking fish for sure though!
Back to top Go down
cesparza92
Private
Private
cesparza92

PostSubject: Re: choosing the right fish.? opinions? facts?   choosing the right fish.? opinions? facts? Icon_minitime12/16/2010, 8:31 pm

yea my tank is an 80 gal. thats why im kinda lookin into 6inch+ fishes. i dont want it really ful i want it lookin nice and peacefull.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: choosing the right fish.? opinions? facts?   choosing the right fish.? opinions? facts? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

choosing the right fish.? opinions? facts?
Page 1 of 1