UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

EVERY ONE!!! I NEED YOUR OPINIONS

Go down 
+2
Holey Rock of Texas
alkomist
6 posters
AuthorMessage
alkomist
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
alkomist

Favorite Fish: :

┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘
┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘

EVERY ONE!!! I NEED YOUR OPINIONS Empty
PostSubject: EVERY ONE!!! I NEED YOUR OPINIONS   EVERY ONE!!! I NEED YOUR OPINIONS Icon_minitime12/10/2010, 4:23 pm

ok iv posted this question on another forum!
i really want to know if i can do this without any problems!
im tired of same shaped tanks
i want a wider foot print on my tank and dont want to buy another (aint got the $$)
so im thinkin this..........
(heres my Q i copied and posted from another forum)

ok...ive been looking at a bunch of tanks to get ideas for a build
iv seen a Sh!t load of tanks that are wide and i like the look...
now i was thinking, so i wont have to waist monies on building another tank
i have a 110g tank (fresh water) Dims are 5w'x24"tx18"d and 1/2" thick glass i was wondering that if i were to put the tank on its face(front) take the back glass off and salvage the piece and cut it to 18" to close it off. my tank would be 5'wx24"dx18t would it be safe? it would be the same amount of gallons just wider and shallower...
would be able to keep it rimless? i dont mind a rim.... would i have to brace it from the top? with all the pressure going outwards will the tank burst? i know that the breaking point of 1/2" glass is 24" high! the tank would only be 18". im eve thinking about cutting it all down to 14" to stress the tank less!!!!
if i can do this itll be a fun build/dismantle of a FW tank

plz LMK what yall think bout my idear! does any know anyone whos done this b4
iv seen this don on a 75 tall!! came out pretty koo!!!

THANX in advance:)

PLZ CHIME IN AND GIVE YOUR THOUGHTS! IV BEEN THINKING ABOUT THIS FOR A WHILE AND WANT TO KNOW IF IT WOULD BE OK!!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: EVERY ONE!!! I NEED YOUR OPINIONS   EVERY ONE!!! I NEED YOUR OPINIONS Icon_minitime12/10/2010, 4:34 pm

In theory it should be okay. Just a lot of work for the same amount of gals.
Back to top Go down
alkomist
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
alkomist

┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘
┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘

PostSubject: Re: EVERY ONE!!! I NEED YOUR OPINIONS   EVERY ONE!!! I NEED YOUR OPINIONS Icon_minitime12/10/2010, 4:39 pm

yea but i want the foot print!
iv been wanting a SHallow Reef tank for 2 years! im thinkin ill just house all my cichlids in another tank and convert my 100g to th shallow reef!
i know im not going to find a tank on craigslist or anywere with the Dims that i want!
and even if i do!!!! it would cost me WELL OVER the $$ i would spent to mod my 100g!
iv seen a tank! 48x30x20 all it had braced were the corners!
it looked pretty nifty!
i was also thinking about euro bracing the tank! (one solid piece of glass but the top cut out)

what do you guys honestly think bout it!
besides the Spending and the work on it! ill have the time! and it would take time so i can save some $$ up for it
Back to top Go down
Holey Rock of Texas
Admin
Admin
Holey Rock of Texas

Favorite Fish: : shellys

PostSubject: Re: EVERY ONE!!! I NEED YOUR OPINIONS   EVERY ONE!!! I NEED YOUR OPINIONS Icon_minitime12/10/2010, 4:45 pm

the bottom of the tank of that size is normally tempered glass. also you are going to need some kind of center brace. plus the bottom im sure will be extremely scratched from the substrate. other than that yeah sure lol.

Last edited by Holey Rock of Texas on 12/10/2010, 4:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
alkomist
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
alkomist

┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘
┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘

PostSubject: Re: EVERY ONE!!! I NEED YOUR OPINIONS   EVERY ONE!!! I NEED YOUR OPINIONS Icon_minitime12/10/2010, 4:56 pm

Holey Rock of Texas wrote:
the bottom of the tank of that size is normally tempered glass. also you are going to need some kind or center brace. plus the bottom im sure will be extremely scratched from the substrate. other than that yeah sure lol.

the bottom panel will be removed and the back panel will be cut down to 18"(or 14" im still deciding on the hieght of the aquarium) and will replace it and close off the tank!
i dont want a center brace! it will throw off the whole look of the tank!
i want it "open top"! i doubt theirs a 5' long x 2' wide hood lol
thats why im thinkin euro bracing.google it its much cleaner looking than a center brace.
im thinking if i can support each corner with like wood or metal?

io know pet world has a MEAN A$$ 10' by 4' 12" live rock tank!
its made out of 1/2" thick glass!!!! IDK HOW THEY DID IT
plz throw me some idears!
Back to top Go down
Holey Rock of Texas
Admin
Admin
Holey Rock of Texas

PostSubject: Re: EVERY ONE!!! I NEED YOUR OPINIONS   EVERY ONE!!! I NEED YOUR OPINIONS Icon_minitime12/10/2010, 4:58 pm

they either did it with acrylic or tempered glass.
Back to top Go down
Holey Rock of Texas
Admin
Admin
Holey Rock of Texas

PostSubject: Re: EVERY ONE!!! I NEED YOUR OPINIONS   EVERY ONE!!! I NEED YOUR OPINIONS Icon_minitime12/10/2010, 5:02 pm

eurobracing would require more glass than a center brace but i think it would look better.
Back to top Go down
alkomist
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
alkomist

┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘
┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘

PostSubject: Re: EVERY ONE!!! I NEED YOUR OPINIONS   EVERY ONE!!! I NEED YOUR OPINIONS Icon_minitime12/10/2010, 5:03 pm

nope
clean glass!

and yes it would look better!!!!!!
but do you think bracing the corners about 4-5" in would be koo?
Back to top Go down
08can-am
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3

Favorite Fish: : Any thing reef friendl

PostSubject: Re: EVERY ONE!!! I NEED YOUR OPINIONS   EVERY ONE!!! I NEED YOUR OPINIONS Icon_minitime12/10/2010, 8:10 pm

Go for it.Worse case scenario... youre out a 100 g tank. Then what. youd have to buy one to start back where you were. Why not find a cheap tank on craigslist to practice with first before jacking your good tank up?
Back to top Go down
bcijoe
Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1
bcijoe

Favorite Fish: : Betta, Pacu, Clown Loach, Alfbn Pleco, Yellow Fin Barb (Lemon Barb), White Fin Rosy Tetra, Congo Tetra, more

PostSubject: Re: EVERY ONE!!! I NEED YOUR OPINIONS   EVERY ONE!!! I NEED YOUR OPINIONS Icon_minitime12/10/2010, 9:42 pm

no, for a reason already mentioned. bottoms of large tanks are tempered. in this case it would not be tempered.

also, the bottom would probably need to be thicker tempered glass since it is wider now

but considering that was not an issue, i think no brace would be fine since it will not be high and the sides are already 1/2"
Back to top Go down
lgsasquatch
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
lgsasquatch

Favorite Fish: : All i can afford

PostSubject: Re: EVERY ONE!!! I NEED YOUR OPINIONS   EVERY ONE!!! I NEED YOUR OPINIONS Icon_minitime12/10/2010, 10:49 pm

I would try it. Just be carefull on how much extra wieght you put on the new bottom so it will not crack and brake. I think the easiest way to do so would be turn the tank on its side were the bottom is now the back, take the top off cut it down to 18" and reattach to the front. When you are done and do a leak test check to see how far the glass is bowing when full. That would tell you if you needed a brace and how bad it was needed. I would also try it on a smaller cheap tank for the practice.
Back to top Go down
Jeepluv77
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
Jeepluv77

Favorite Fish: : Species I've kept: Freshwater- Dwarf puffers and clown loaches. Saltwater- Volitans and Snowflake Moray

Species I'd love to keep one day- Freshwater- Rays. Saltwater- Bamboo/Cat Sharks

PostSubject: Re: EVERY ONE!!! I NEED YOUR OPINIONS   EVERY ONE!!! I NEED YOUR OPINIONS Icon_minitime12/11/2010, 12:01 am

Eh, if you own your home, rip out the carpet in the den, seal the floor, and put in a pond. You can get the curved border bricks, mortar, etc and tons of advice at Home Depot. :)
Back to top Go down
Holey Rock of Texas
Admin
Admin
Holey Rock of Texas

PostSubject: Re: EVERY ONE!!! I NEED YOUR OPINIONS   EVERY ONE!!! I NEED YOUR OPINIONS Icon_minitime12/11/2010, 12:11 am

yeah make a house pond in the basement if you have one.
Back to top Go down
bcijoe
Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1
bcijoe

Favorite Fish: : Betta, Pacu, Clown Loach, Alfbn Pleco, Yellow Fin Barb (Lemon Barb), White Fin Rosy Tetra, Congo Tetra, more

PostSubject: Re: EVERY ONE!!! I NEED YOUR OPINIONS   EVERY ONE!!! I NEED YOUR OPINIONS Icon_minitime12/11/2010, 12:13 am

I like Jeepluv77's idea yes

btw Jeepluv77, just got 22 baby boas in today! fun day :)
Back to top Go down
alkomist
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
alkomist

┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘
┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘

PostSubject: Re: EVERY ONE!!! I NEED YOUR OPINIONS   EVERY ONE!!! I NEED YOUR OPINIONS Icon_minitime12/11/2010, 7:28 am

lol thanx every one!
sasquatch buddy! thats exactly what i wanna do lol
ive seen this done on Numerouse(spelling) 20g Tall tanks!
and they look AWSOME!!!! ive seen it done on a 75g tank aswell. this tank had just the corners braced bout 4" in looked pretty nice.
im also thiking,,that i cut it down to 14" and with the left over from that and the slavaged back pice ill have enough glass to brace the entire tank from every side.(the rim)
i also would like to mention that i have a 55g tank that i completely D-rimmed and it holds like a champ. NO BOWING and thats only with 1/4" glass! but the tanks not modded like i want to mod my 100g

ill see if i can find a 20t and practice on that
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: EVERY ONE!!! I NEED YOUR OPINIONS   EVERY ONE!!! I NEED YOUR OPINIONS Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

EVERY ONE!!! I NEED YOUR OPINIONS
Page 1 of 1