UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.

New to the list. Choosing classroom fish

Go down 
+3
KingBichir
Yeti
SarahSadie
7 posters
AuthorMessage
SarahSadie
Private
Private

Favorite Fish: : Haven't decided what my favorite fish are. I like large fish because they are so entertaining.

New to the list. Choosing classroom fish Empty
PostSubject: New to the list. Choosing classroom fish   New to the list. Choosing classroom fish Icon_minitime6/10/2011, 12:22 am

I have a 70 gallon freshwater tank for my classroom. What is the sturdiest, most forgiving fish to raise? I had four Oscars and lost three of them when the power was out for two weeks during a winter ice storm. The one that survived never was strong again, but he lived another two or three years. Three plecostomus survived the storms, and are all between 7 and 12 inches long. The room is always warm (barring another weather disaster), but in the summer I can only get in once a week, and even then I'll be locked out for three weeks. We need easy to care for fish that the students will enjoy. All advice is welcome. noob
Back to top Go down
Yeti
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class

Favorite Fish: : Cichlids, Mbuna & Haps/Peacocks
Bitten by the saltbug

PostSubject: Re: New to the list. Choosing classroom fish   New to the list. Choosing classroom fish Icon_minitime6/10/2011, 12:58 am

Much as I love Cichlids, I would go more for a planted community tank in a classroom where maintenance may be minimal at times. Saying that I would probably look to be having quoted filtration that is double the actual size of tank. You can never have to much filtration, and if during summer you have to be away for 3 weeks it will allow you some peace of mind.

Thinking of fish. Depending upon how you wish to use the tank in your classes, I think I would be tempted to look at the live bearers. Generally small I know, but colourful.
Guppies are more mid to top of tank generally, Swordtails and Mollies all round the tank, both offer you colour, and the ability for easy identification of the sex of the fish.
Once content, they will breed profusely, hence the idea of being planted, so some fry may survive.
Chinese Loach is entertaining as it goes up the glass, how it behaves is very much hit and miss, some are placid, others....not so.
Pictus are wonderfully active, but note they are marked as semi aggresive (that means they gulp down smaller fish during the night as a snack).
The Barbs may be suitable, but I have no experience with keeping them, so someone else may have suggestions regarding them as occupants.
What ever you go for, i think it's a great idea, but I doubt anything is going to survive 2 weeks of no electric during an ice storm, not only the drop in temp, but also the lack of filtration. Hopefully you won't go through that again.
Back to top Go down
KingBichir
Admin
Admin
KingBichir

Favorite Fish: : all of them

PostSubject: Re: New to the list. Choosing classroom fish   New to the list. Choosing classroom fish Icon_minitime6/10/2011, 10:26 am

Barbs are pretty hardy from my experience. The only thing is that they love nipping fins, so I wouldn't put tjem with any fish with long fins
Back to top Go down
Shaysfishys
Captain
Captain
Shaysfishys

Favorite Fish: : Just about all of them!!

PostSubject: Re: New to the list. Choosing classroom fish   New to the list. Choosing classroom fish Icon_minitime6/10/2011, 10:49 am

Here's an idea for those periods of time where you don't have access and its something my neighbor uses with great luck. It's one of those battery powered automatic feeders she's a run-a-muck camping fool and this was a great answer for her.

Planted would be a great way to go with some low light plants, a couple male kribs (they're pretty tough), platys, guppys (the kribs will keep the population way under control), personally would stay away from the tiger barbs but there are others that would be great, couple bushy nose plecs.

My 2 cents
Back to top Go down
Ben
Ben

Favorite Fish: : Venustus and Catfish

PostSubject: Re: New to the list. Choosing classroom fish   New to the list. Choosing classroom fish Icon_minitime6/10/2011, 4:29 pm

New to the list. Choosing classroom fish 858205
Back to top Go down
Elrollo
Major
Major
Elrollo

Favorite Fish: : Blue Acaras...first fish I ever breed still have a soft spot for them

PostSubject: Re: New to the list. Choosing classroom fish   New to the list. Choosing classroom fish Icon_minitime6/10/2011, 11:26 pm

New to the list. Choosing classroom fish 858205

Giant danios are another active species...cory cats they can gulp air if the power goes out plus look great in a planted tank
Back to top Go down
Yeti
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class

Favorite Fish: : Cichlids, Mbuna & Haps/Peacocks
Bitten by the saltbug

PostSubject: Re: New to the list. Choosing classroom fish   New to the list. Choosing classroom fish Icon_minitime6/11/2011, 12:42 am

I agree on the Giant Danio's. I had a couple in a community tank, always active.
Back to top Go down
ornate12
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
ornate12

Favorite Fish: : Ornate Bichirs, Synodontis Angelicus, Filamentosus barb,
Aristochromis Christyi, Ptychochromis Grandidieri and all other Madagascar cichlids.

PostSubject: Re: New to the list. Choosing classroom fish   New to the list. Choosing classroom fish Icon_minitime6/11/2011, 7:16 am

My suggestion would be small barbs!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New to the list. Choosing classroom fish   New to the list. Choosing classroom fish Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New to the list. Choosing classroom fish
Page 1 of 1