UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

Choosing Dwarf Cichlids

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Kasshan
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Kasshan

Favorite Fish: : Kribensis

Choosing Dwarf Cichlids Empty
PostSubject: Choosing Dwarf Cichlids   Choosing Dwarf Cichlids Icon_minitime4/16/2011, 4:23 pm

Im torn between several of the harem/pair breeding dwarves. Cockatoo Apistogramma, Rams, Neolamprologus Brichardi, Julidochromis Marlieri, shell dwellers.

i want to put these in with my already breeding pair of Kribs in my 40gal.im worried the SA might get stomped so im leaning towards getting N.Brichardi because i knw a trio can handle themselves against the kribs from past experience.

which of these will breed in tap water(like my kribs) and have the toughness to defend against my kribs, but yet be docile to keep the peace in my community(cardinal tetras, corys, livebearers)

obviously 1st hand exp is preferred, ive done mountains of reading of the subject so far.
Back to top Go down
williemcd
Major
Major
williemcd

Favorite Fish: : Angels and hopefully soon Discus

PostSubject: Re: Choosing Dwarf Cichlids   Choosing Dwarf Cichlids Icon_minitime4/16/2011, 7:32 pm

Kass... I've a clutch of Rams (German) in a community tank and a solo Apistogamma Agassizi.. The apisto is, by far, the more dominate critter even though the Rams are twice it's size. That's the extent of my experience. It may just be a super Dom Male that has a personality issue!... <grin> If ya come up with some Cockatoo's let me know cuz that's my next pursuit!... Awesome looking fish..
The Neolamprologus on the other hand is, as you know, a Lake Tang fish... hard water, higher ph than the other tank mates you referenced... So personally I'd not consider them for your community tank.
Back to top Go down
Kasshan
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Kasshan

PostSubject: Re: Choosing Dwarf Cichlids   Choosing Dwarf Cichlids Icon_minitime4/16/2011, 7:40 pm

ive actually had a tank setup with 3Neolamps and 2Kribs together with various community fish; tetras, livebearers, corys, etc in a 20gal long live in perfect harmony. it was a bit stand-offish but no deaths(setup lasted almost 2yrs before i had to give it up). and i was thinking of getting Neolamps as a last resort if all my other ventures failed just ive have personal experience. although juliis are my back up
Back to top Go down
Kasshan
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Kasshan

PostSubject: Re: Choosing Dwarf Cichlids   Choosing Dwarf Cichlids Icon_minitime4/16/2011, 7:42 pm

your info on the apistos behavior makes me optimistic tho in trying to get em. satisfies my requirements it looks like. but will they breed in tap water, hard, and 6.8ph?
Back to top Go down
williemcd
Major
Major
williemcd

PostSubject: Re: Choosing Dwarf Cichlids   Choosing Dwarf Cichlids Icon_minitime4/16/2011, 8:04 pm

Hey.. I'm no expert.. but my ph is around 6.8 and the water is hard!.. I collect dried oak leaves and put them in my filter to try an soften the water. Two of the Rams are "doing the dance".. and they look awesome in coloration.
Back to top Go down
Kasshan
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Kasshan

PostSubject: Re: Choosing Dwarf Cichlids   Choosing Dwarf Cichlids Icon_minitime4/16/2011, 8:22 pm

wow looks like your water chemistry is pretty similar to mine. next time i get it tested at Petsmart, ill give you the complete water conditions. if thats the case then perhaps when we exchange fish itll work out well. ^_^ and oak eh? ill have to try tht out.
Back to top Go down
williemcd
Major
Major
williemcd

PostSubject: Re: Choosing Dwarf Cichlids   Choosing Dwarf Cichlids Icon_minitime4/16/2011, 10:01 pm

Not to demean the big box stores.. BUT there is nothing more accurate than doing your own testing... keeping a log .. kinda puts ya really in touch with what's happening with your tanks... (you do have more than one right?)...<grin> Bill
Back to top Go down
Kasshan
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Kasshan

PostSubject: Re: Choosing Dwarf Cichlids   Choosing Dwarf Cichlids Icon_minitime4/16/2011, 10:30 pm

i only have 1 tank 40gBreeder! and i guess i should invest in my own test kit. the girl at petsmart left the ammonia strip in waaay too long. said my NH3 levels were way high. which is wrong, or else all my new fry would be dead and they arent.
Back to top Go down
williemcd
Major
Major
williemcd

PostSubject: Re: Choosing Dwarf Cichlids   Choosing Dwarf Cichlids Icon_minitime4/16/2011, 11:13 pm

It is amazing how in touch you get when you do your own testing... I'm the laziest guy you'll meet but .. I do log my results on each tank for the first few weeks.. then weekly...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Choosing Dwarf Cichlids   Choosing Dwarf Cichlids Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Choosing Dwarf Cichlids
Page 1 of 1