UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

75g Cichlid

Go down 
+14
ssteelhead
alkomist
ladia
dano
Raschael
JACK D
TanyaQ2000
micahsutton
R2 Ranch
h0ngkn0t2
philuponthepho
Holey Rock of Texas
KMX
cichlid mania
18 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
AuthorMessage
cichlid mania
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4

75g Cichlid - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: 75g Cichlid   75g Cichlid - Page 6 Icon_minitime12/2/2009, 9:45 am

First topic message reminder :

75 is on its way to be up and running and ready for the moori to arrive....will post pics as i progress.....Holey rock is currently basking in the sun

Last edited by cichlid mania on 12/2/2009, 9:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
cichlid mania
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4

PostSubject: Re: 75g Cichlid   75g Cichlid - Page 6 Icon_minitime12/12/2009, 10:43 am

KMX wrote:
I thought you used water from you other tank to help start it?

No....Just the media....I just moved here and am setting this tank up from scratch
Back to top Go down
philuponthepho
Captain
Captain
philuponthepho

Favorite Fish: : Anything I can afford (which is $0)

PostSubject: Re: 75g Cichlid   75g Cichlid - Page 6 Icon_minitime12/12/2009, 10:43 am

You could just add your fish now and do daily water changes of 25% for two weeks for it to be cycled.
Back to top Go down
cichlid mania
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4

PostSubject: Re: 75g Cichlid   75g Cichlid - Page 6 Icon_minitime12/12/2009, 10:56 am

philuponthepho wrote:
You could just add your fish now and do daily water changes of 25% for two weeks for it to be cycled.

I am waiting on the order with KMX to come in....I want to have it cycled and ready to go before they get here
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

Favorite Fish: : African Cichlids of all kinds.

PostSubject: Re: 75g Cichlid   75g Cichlid - Page 6 Icon_minitime12/12/2009, 10:58 am

ahhhh ok.
Back to top Go down
cichlid mania
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4

PostSubject: Re: 75g Cichlid   75g Cichlid - Page 6 Icon_minitime12/12/2009, 11:07 am

Just added some flake food
Back to top Go down
cichlid mania
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4

PostSubject: Re: 75g Cichlid   75g Cichlid - Page 6 Icon_minitime12/13/2009, 8:17 am

Did a water change and add some flake food this morning
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 75g Cichlid   75g Cichlid - Page 6 Icon_minitime12/13/2009, 8:40 am

Ok, if you on a short time line do this (I wouldn't recommend it normally)
Go get 2 dozen or so feeder guppy's or the like and put them in there today. If the fish you are getting wont eat them you could always take them back when you are done with them. Do 5-10% water changes every other day or every 3 days. Small amounts will help with the speed of the cycle. You will lose some of the guppy's doing it this way though. If you don't have a liquid test kit go get the tetra laborett kit ($20-25) Test your water before every water change. If you can get some used media from someone it would shorten the cycle by at least 50%. Once your ammonia is at 0 and you have a reading of 15-20 on the nitrite (I think that's the one I always get them confused) Then you tank is cycled and ready for fish after a 50% water change. Leave the guppy's in there till the last minute to keep the bacteria alive and well. Oh and overfeed the guppy's by quite a bit, it will help get the ammonia high and help speed the cycle.

Disclaimer: If you have time for a proper cycle DO NOT do it this way!!!!!! It is not good to use fish to cycle with, its a death sentience for them.
Back to top Go down
cichlid mania
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4

PostSubject: Re: 75g Cichlid   75g Cichlid - Page 6 Icon_minitime12/14/2009, 7:48 pm

Went to the LFS and got 40 minnows(out of feeder guppies) and added them to the tank....Lets hope for the best
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 75g Cichlid   75g Cichlid - Page 6 Icon_minitime12/15/2009, 7:57 am

Do you have a liquid test kit? If not go get the tetra laborett, you will need it
Back to top Go down
cichlid mania
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4

PostSubject: Re: 75g Cichlid   75g Cichlid - Page 6 Icon_minitime12/15/2009, 7:08 pm

Fern wrote:
Do you have a liquid test kit? If not go get the tetra laborett, you will need it
Of course not....They were out...Go figure
Back to top Go down
cichlid mania
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4

PostSubject: Re: 75g Cichlid   75g Cichlid - Page 6 Icon_minitime12/15/2009, 7:09 pm

Woke up this morning to a tank with 40 dead minnows and a tank that smelled like straight poop
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 75g Cichlid   75g Cichlid - Page 6 Icon_minitime12/15/2009, 7:27 pm

Um, well its safe to say you had no living bacteria in the tank.

Try it again with a dozen...... I had a feeling 40 would be too much.

How soon are you getting your fish? Do you have another tank you could put them in or someone that could hold them for you?

We may have to do this the old fashioned way..... Don't change any of the water in the tank yet.
Back to top Go down
cichlid mania
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4

PostSubject: Re: 75g Cichlid   75g Cichlid - Page 6 Icon_minitime12/16/2009, 5:37 am

My fist fish will be the moori GB that is going on with Kory....Right now I dont have any other tanks to put them in.....I can talk to Kory and see how long he can hold them I guess.....

I will hold out on the water change as long as I can.....I have an unhappy wife right now cause it smells so bad
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 75g Cichlid   75g Cichlid - Page 6 Icon_minitime12/16/2009, 7:34 am

I think Kory can hold them for you till your tank is ready for them.

You need a liquid test kit before you even think of changing any water. That nasty smell means that there is plenty of gunk in the water to help the cycle along, trust me its a good thing.
If she has an issue with the smell go get one of those cinnamon brooms from the store and put it by the tank UNopened, it will cut the smell. I have one in my fish room..... My BF had an issue with the aquatic aroma so many tanks produce. The cinnamon smell masks it nicely.
Back to top Go down
h0ngkn0t2
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
h0ngkn0t2

Favorite Fish: : African cichlids, Bristlenose Plecos and Koi

PostSubject: Re: 75g Cichlid   75g Cichlid - Page 6 Icon_minitime12/16/2009, 12:02 pm

Better minnows than moori. :) Good luck!
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

PostSubject: Re: 75g Cichlid   75g Cichlid - Page 6 Icon_minitime12/16/2009, 12:04 pm

cichlid mania wrote:
My fist fish will be the moori GB that is going on with Kory....Right now I dont have any other tanks to put them in.....I can talk to Kory and see how long he can hold them I guess.....

I will hold out on the water change as long as I can.....I have an unhappy wife right now cause it smells so bad

I can hold them how ever long you need.

h0ngkn0t2 wrote:
Better minnows than moori. :) Good luck!

75g Cichlid - Page 6 858205
Back to top Go down
cichlid mania
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4

PostSubject: Re: 75g Cichlid   75g Cichlid - Page 6 Icon_minitime12/16/2009, 5:49 pm

[quote="KMX"]
cichlid mania wrote:

I can hold them how ever long you need.

Thanks Kory....Let me know when they come in and we will see how far the tank has progressed.....
Back to top Go down
cichlid mania
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4

PostSubject: Re: 75g Cichlid   75g Cichlid - Page 6 Icon_minitime12/16/2009, 5:50 pm

Fern wrote:
I think Kory can hold them for you till your tank is ready for them.

You need a liquid test kit before you even think of changing any water. That nasty smell means that there is plenty of gunk in the water to help the cycle along, trust me its a good thing.
If she has an issue with the smell go get one of those cinnamon brooms from the store and put it by the tank UNopened, it will cut the smell. I have one in my fish room..... My BF had an issue with the aquatic aroma so many tanks produce. The cinnamon smell masks it nicely.

LFS is out of test kits until the truck comes in tomorrow. cursing
Back to top Go down
cichlid mania
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4

PostSubject: Re: 75g Cichlid   75g Cichlid - Page 6 Icon_minitime12/17/2009, 6:32 pm

Just picked up a Master freshwater test kit from API....Gonna run the test....will post results shortly
Back to top Go down
cichlid mania
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4

PostSubject: Re: 75g Cichlid   75g Cichlid - Page 6 Icon_minitime12/17/2009, 7:20 pm

Okay, here are the results:

Water temp is 70- gonna need another heater
PH=7.6
Nitrite=0
Nitrate=0
Ammonia=1.0
Back to top Go down
cichlid mania
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4

PostSubject: Re: 75g Cichlid   75g Cichlid - Page 6 Icon_minitime12/17/2009, 7:23 pm

Also got a bottle of special blend from this company http://www.microbelift.com/
click on bacterial products, then click on special blend.
Gonna give this stuff a shot to boost the bacteria levels
Back to top Go down
philuponthepho
Captain
Captain
philuponthepho

Favorite Fish: : Anything I can afford (which is $0)

PostSubject: Re: 75g Cichlid   75g Cichlid - Page 6 Icon_minitime12/17/2009, 7:26 pm

cichlid mania wrote:
Also got a bottle of special blend from this company http://www.microbelift.com/
click on bacterial products, then click on special blend.
Gonna give this stuff a shot to boost the bacteria levels

I dont believe in bottled bacteria. It's basically another way to make more money.
Back to top Go down
cichlid mania
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4

PostSubject: Re: 75g Cichlid   75g Cichlid - Page 6 Icon_minitime12/18/2009, 3:15 am

I normally dont either....but right now i will try almost anything
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 75g Cichlid   75g Cichlid - Page 6 Icon_minitime12/18/2009, 8:10 am

If you haven't been feeding the tank with flake food you need to start doing so. I would like to see that ammonia jump to 2-3. So dump in about a weeks worth of flake and pellet food, You may want to get some really cheep food for this. Then feed a large pinch of food daily. Do not change the water at all during this, you will just lengthen the cycling time.
You do have your filters running?

Can anyone in his area donate some used filter media???? Or even just a bucket of water that some media was cleaned in. It would help him out a whole bunch!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

PostSubject: Re: 75g Cichlid   75g Cichlid - Page 6 Icon_minitime12/18/2009, 9:28 am

I have never herd of dumping in a bunch of fish food to get your tank going. I find something out new each day.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 75g Cichlid   75g Cichlid - Page 6 Icon_minitime12/18/2009, 9:38 am

Its a very safe way to get the ammonia going. Some people buy bottled ammonia, I really don't trust that method though, You never know what else is in it other than ammonia. But the safest ways are either feeding the tank with fish food or throwing some frozen shrimp in there. I prefer the fish food method though.
Those methods are the only ways to start a tank from scratch w/o losing fish.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 75g Cichlid   75g Cichlid - Page 6 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

75g Cichlid
Page 6 of 10Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next