UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.

sell me on fresh water

Go down 
+4
KMX
JACK D
Holey Rock of Texas
John C.
8 posters
AuthorMessage
John C.
Private
Private
John C.

Favorite Fish: : salmon tast soo good with butter and lemon.

sell me on fresh water Empty
PostSubject: sell me on fresh water   sell me on fresh water Icon_minitime11/27/2009, 11:02 pm

ok I'm a salty for the last 6 months. I love it and I'm not bad at it. I really like coral but I'm way better at the raising the fish but I'm working at it. I have never had fresh water other than gold fish and grommies one time I had an up side down catfish. But honestly want understand why fresh water is so good. put up some pics and tell me why you think fresh is better. I had a friend when I was yunger who loved chclids he had a trailer full of them he even breeded some kind of new one. Back then I was a drug addict and just didn't care about the fish but he had some good speed. I'm not a dope fiend any more and I'm deffinently really getting into the whole fish scene. If it not one addiction it's another!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: sell me on fresh water   sell me on fresh water Icon_minitime11/28/2009, 6:47 am

Congrats on the sobriety! sell me on fresh water 265353 I'm 3 years sober myself. Glad to see I'm not the only one who swapped to the fish addiction!
Hmmmm sell you on fresh.... Well SW vs FW is basically up to the tank keepers.... The pros on fresh, less chemicals to buy, fish are cheaper, you can have plants..... I'm not the best person for this funny I've only has fresh myself, I could never afford to do salt unless I stocked it with whatever I could catch locally. Fresh is just a different world of fish all together.
Back to top Go down
Holey Rock of Texas
Admin
Admin
Holey Rock of Texas

Favorite Fish: : shellys

PostSubject: Re: sell me on fresh water   sell me on fresh water Icon_minitime11/28/2009, 6:48 am

for me it is all about the cichlids. there are so many to choose from and most can he housed in normal aquariums 4ft long. i love the vivid colors and the personality of the fish. the ones from lake Malawi are extremely easy to keep and provide the color of fish similar to salt water but at a fraction of the cost. i have recently gotten into the tangs and love their different body shapes and unusual behaviors. for great picks check out my site. www.holeyrockoftexas.com there is also some more info on cichlids there. also these videos are great!!!

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=jewel+of+the+rift&search_type=&aq=f

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/9nrPdnzW6eo&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/9nrPdnzW6eo&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Back to top Go down
JACK D
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
JACK D

Favorite Fish: : My fish, your fish, red fish, blue fish...

PostSubject: Re: sell me on fresh water   sell me on fresh water Icon_minitime11/28/2009, 8:21 am

sell me on fresh water 858205 Cichlids are key!!! They are good looking, easy to keep, & dont forget smart. And if I am not mistaken the largest animal group on the planet Earth. If you have an addicitive personality (like I do!!!) fish are it. Salt is cool dont get me wrong, just not my thing. I like seeing fish breed & do their thing & thats not to hard with alot of cichlids. I could go on for a while, so for now welcome!!!
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

Favorite Fish: : African Cichlids of all kinds.

PostSubject: Re: sell me on fresh water   sell me on fresh water Icon_minitime11/28/2009, 9:29 am

Fern wrote:
Congrats on the sobriety! sell me on fresh water 265353 I'm 3 years sober myself. Glad to see I'm not the only one who swapped to the fish addiction!
Hmmmm sell you on fresh.... Well SW vs FW is basically up to the tank keepers.... The pros on fresh, less chemicals to buy, fish are cheaper, you can have plants..... I'm not the best person for this funny I've only has fresh myself, I could never afford to do salt unless I stocked it with whatever I could catch locally. Fresh is just a different world of fish all together.

Holey Rock of Texas wrote:
for me it is all about the cichlids. there are so many to choose from and most can he housed in normal aquariums 4ft long. i love the vivid colors and the personality of the fish. the ones from lake Malawi are extremely easy to keep and provide the color of fish similar to salt water but at a fraction of the cost. i have recently gotten into the tangs and love their different body shapes and unusual behaviors. for great picks check out my site. www.holeyrockoftexas.com there is also some more info on cichlids there. also these videos are great!!!

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=jewel+of+the+rift&search_type=&aq=f

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/9nrPdnzW6eo&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/9nrPdnzW6eo&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

JACK D wrote:
sell me on fresh water 858205 Cichlids are key!!! They are good looking, easy to keep, & dont forget smart. And if I am not mistaken the largest animal group on the planet Earth. If you have an addicitive personality (like I do!!!) fish are it. Salt is cool dont get me wrong, just not my thing. I like seeing fish breed & do their thing & thats not to hard with alot of cichlids. I could go on for a while, so for now welcome!!!

sell me on fresh water 858205 sell me on fresh water 858205 sell me on fresh water 858205

Very vivid colors. Very active and most are fairly easy to keep. Don't get me wrong I like SW colors but the African Cichlids are not far behind. I have about 300 LBS of holey rock in my show tank with pool filter sand...when people come over they always tell me "nice saltwater tank" LOL But it's not.

sell me on fresh water Showtank1
sell me on fresh water Neochromis-Rufocadualis1
sell me on fresh water Mall-Island-NICE-SHOT
sell me on fresh water Wc-cou10
sell me on fresh water Mall-i13

sell me on fresh water Mall-i14

sell me on fresh water Mall-i16

sell me on fresh water Lemon-25

sell me on fresh water Lemon-26
sell me on fresh water Leleup11

All these pics are actual pics of my fish besides this one below....It is a pic o stole from Deadman. I LOVE THIS PIC!! sell me on fresh water 393849
sell me on fresh water Yssichromispiceatus
Back to top Go down
bimmertech
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4
bimmertech

Favorite Fish: : PEACOCKS OF ALL COLORS!!!!!!

PostSubject: Re: sell me on fresh water   sell me on fresh water Icon_minitime11/28/2009, 10:11 am

what kind of fish is that????? i was one of those at pet land only thing is it had yellow instead of red.
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

PostSubject: Re: sell me on fresh water   sell me on fresh water Icon_minitime11/28/2009, 10:25 am

LOL im just letting you know right now they dont have this at petland. If they do im getting in my car now. Yssichromis Piceata from lake Victoria...very rare. The only person I know that has them is Deadman.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: sell me on fresh water   sell me on fresh water Icon_minitime11/28/2009, 10:36 am

For me, it's all about the money.
I HAVE NONE!!!
Therefor I don't do salt.

And there is a lot of cichs that rival the colors of saltwater fish.

Here's a few of mine.
sell me on fresh water RedPeacock
sell me on fresh water SREmale
sell me on fresh water YellowBlazeHap
sell me on fresh water OB_male
sell me on fresh water 05_OBpeacock-1
sell me on fresh water 07_StrawberryParents
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

PostSubject: Re: sell me on fresh water   sell me on fresh water Icon_minitime11/28/2009, 11:23 am

Nice red emp coloring up. Where did he come from? sell me on fresh water 690297
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: sell me on fresh water   sell me on fresh water Icon_minitime11/28/2009, 11:56 am

KMX wrote:
Nice red emp coloring up. Where did he come from?

I got him from Jay prob about six months ago.
I didn't know what a Red Empress was when I got it.
He told me it would color up real good and I was like well it's pretty drab
look'n right now but whatever, I'll take it.
Now I'm glad I did.
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

PostSubject: Re: sell me on fresh water   sell me on fresh water Icon_minitime11/28/2009, 11:57 am

Very nice red emp.
Back to top Go down
JACK D
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
JACK D

PostSubject: Re: sell me on fresh water   sell me on fresh water Icon_minitime11/28/2009, 4:22 pm

African cichlids are the poormans saltwater... lol!
Back to top Go down
khrister
USA Fishbox Sponsor
khrister

Favorite Fish: :
Cyphotilapia
Cyprichromis
Mbunas
Fancy PL*CO

PostSubject: Re: sell me on fresh water   sell me on fresh water Icon_minitime11/28/2009, 5:22 pm

JACK D wrote:

Try Buying a Wild Caught Zaire Frontosa or better yet Petrochromis Bulu Point and you'll never call them a poorman's salt water sell me on fresh water 690297
Back to top Go down
snowflake311
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
snowflake311

Favorite Fish: : South American Ciclids and plecos. I will always love my bettas but have moved on.

PostSubject: Re: sell me on fresh water   sell me on fresh water Icon_minitime11/28/2009, 8:05 pm

I love the green lush green planted tanks with a dash of color. I love south American cichlids not so much the africans.

Fresh water is cheaper. Can be easy compared to SW. For me I really like plants. I would some day like a SW tank. But I don't have the money or time.
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

PostSubject: Re: sell me on fresh water   sell me on fresh water Icon_minitime11/29/2009, 12:11 am

khrister wrote:
JACK D wrote:

Try Buying a Wild Caught Zaire Frontosa or better yet Petrochromis Bulu Point and you'll never call them a poorman's salt water sell me on fresh water 690297

Agreed!
Back to top Go down
JACK D
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
JACK D

PostSubject: Re: sell me on fresh water   sell me on fresh water Icon_minitime11/29/2009, 7:51 am

OK for the most part setting up an african tank is not that bad price wise. Unless you are talking crazy wild caught fish. Most common africans are easy to get. Is that better???
Back to top Go down
h0ngkn0t2
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
h0ngkn0t2

Favorite Fish: : African cichlids, Bristlenose Plecos and Koi

PostSubject: Re: sell me on fresh water   sell me on fresh water Icon_minitime11/29/2009, 8:38 am

JACK D wrote:

LoL Jack.

SW and FW are very different and require different equipment.

For me, I personally like to breed my fish, get fry, move them to another tank, switch fish around. Most FW fish are hardy and can stand different water environments. So to a select few that only dab in common africans (like red zebras and yellow labs) you are right, salt may be a financial deterrent; but for the majority of us on the forums who are avid collectors of rare breeds of africans at different collections points across the globe, pl*cos, and other exotics... it's a choice of preference, not economics.

On a side, note...you never knew a little joking comment could get so much attention eh? lol
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: sell me on fresh water   sell me on fresh water Icon_minitime11/29/2009, 8:43 am

cant help you here, i went from freshwater to saltwater and i have never looked back. some try to say that there are some freshwater fish out there that rival salt for color IMHO this is false information (there are however saltwater fish as drab as freshies though). plants are another thing that gets drug into the equation, while it is true there are more plants fro freshwater ( i say this becasue most saltwater plantlife ia a macro algae and most fish will mow it down) there are however a few plants for salt so fresh winds this round. breeding fresh wins this round also because i personally have not heard of anyone breeding anything but clowns. now, lets delve on the cost thing, if one could breed salwater fish easily to sell then cost of fish would drop also so IMHO 1 reason for the cheapness of freshwater fish is beign able to breed them easier, the second reason is wal-mart LOL. basically it is preference as far as i am concerned if i were to keep another freshwater tank it would consiste of fancy tailed guppies, angel fish, neon tetras, and painted glass fish no other freshwater fish seem to tickle my fancy.
Back to top Go down
John C.
Private
Private
John C.

Favorite Fish: : salmon tast soo good with butter and lemon.

PostSubject: Re: sell me on fresh water   sell me on fresh water Icon_minitime11/29/2009, 3:56 pm

WOW!!!! guys I never knew that fresh water fish could be so colorful. what do I need for a small set up and how do I find fish like that? I thought that salt water fish were nice but thanks for opening my eyes!! yes
Back to top Go down
snowflake311
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
snowflake311

Favorite Fish: : South American Ciclids and plecos. I will always love my bettas but have moved on.

PostSubject: Re: sell me on fresh water   sell me on fresh water Icon_minitime11/29/2009, 4:42 pm

I can set up a fresh water tank for under $300 with a used tank. But still setting up and keeping it running is way cheaper not even talking about the cost of live stock.
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

PostSubject: Re: sell me on fresh water   sell me on fresh water Icon_minitime11/29/2009, 4:54 pm

John C. wrote:
WOW!!!! guys I never knew that fresh water fish could be so colorful. what do I need for a small set up and how do I find fish like that? I thought that salt water fish were nice but thanks for opening my eyes!! yes

Craigslist is a good place to start to look for a setup. I would do your research 1st and see what you would like to keep. There are soooooo many to choose from but It is not always best to just start mixing them all together. I would start with choosing what type of Cichlid I wanted...for example. South American, Central American or African.
Back to top Go down
h0ngkn0t2
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
h0ngkn0t2

Favorite Fish: : African cichlids, Bristlenose Plecos and Koi

PostSubject: Re: sell me on fresh water   sell me on fresh water Icon_minitime11/29/2009, 11:21 pm

Here are a few of my fish.

sell me on fresh water IMG_7015-1

sell me on fresh water IMG_6763

sell me on fresh water IMG_1224

sell me on fresh water Chipokae

sell me on fresh water DSC_0136

sell me on fresh water IMG_0619

sell me on fresh water IMG_7009-1

sell me on fresh water IMG_6784

sell me on fresh water IMG_7079
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content