UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.

saltwater setup questions

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Russ722
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Favorite Fish: : Anything with fins

saltwater setup questions Empty
PostSubject: saltwater setup questions   saltwater setup questions Icon_minitime1/1/2012, 11:31 pm

im still toying with the idea of using my 75 gallon tank for salt atr but have a few questions.thanks in advance.

1.i dont want to have my tank drilled but want to go the sump route what are my options?

2. i have a marineland magum pro 350 canister filter with the bio wheels can i use this at all?

3. would a 10 or 20 gallon tank be ok for a sump?
Back to top Go down
Flippercon
Flippercon

Favorite Fish: : Electric Blue Rocio Octofasciata

PostSubject: Re: saltwater setup questions   saltwater setup questions Icon_minitime1/2/2012, 12:36 am

Her we go Sump time saltwater setup questions 265353 !! lol!
1.PVC overflows or acrylic overflow
2.I think you can use it for flow, no media??(Im no expert)
3. I would go bigger like a 29 but i have seen 20 longs used as sumps

Check this out
https://usafishbox.forumotion.com/t7727-strikingthematch-diy-sump?highlight=sump

Back to top Go down
Russ722
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

PostSubject: Re: saltwater setup questions   saltwater setup questions Icon_minitime1/2/2012, 7:27 am

thanks ill check it out
Back to top Go down
WildWiley
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
WildWiley

Favorite Fish: : clown I do love my nems and inverts

PostSubject: Re: saltwater setup questions   saltwater setup questions Icon_minitime1/2/2012, 7:47 am

Really the bigger the sump you can realistically use the better
Back to top Go down
WildWiley
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
WildWiley

PostSubject: Re: saltwater setup questions   saltwater setup questions Icon_minitime1/2/2012, 7:56 am

There are are several company's that make hang on back over flows here is http://www.cpraquatic.com/index2.html on company I have never used one personally so you might want to look up some reviews on them
Back to top Go down
WildWiley
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
WildWiley

PostSubject: Re: saltwater setup questions   saltwater setup questions Icon_minitime1/2/2012, 8:01 am

You can use the canister filter if you want but I would not use it as the only filter and if your going the sump route seems unecessary http://www.aquaristsonline.com/blog/aquarium-equipment/aquarium-filter/the-canister-filter-any-use-in-the-marine-aquarium/
Back to top Go down
08can-am
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3

Favorite Fish: : Any thing reef friendl

PostSubject: Re: saltwater setup questions   saltwater setup questions Icon_minitime1/2/2012, 8:50 am

heres my opinion on your questions and what i would do.

!- I would search craigslist. You can find cheap deals all the time on used drilled tanks. The overflow boxes are accidents waiting to happen. When they lose siphon you could be in for a mess. Id search find a good deal on a used 75 or 90 that is already drilled. Sell your tank to offset the cost. You will be happier with a drilled tank anyways. I picked up my 75 with a beatiful cherry stand and canopy for $200 bucks.

2-Canister filters are Nitrate factories. If you do have to use it ditch the bio balls. But like i said above if you search craigslist you can find a deal on a skimmer even better you may be able to find a package deal.

3- as for a sump. The bigger is better because you have more water volume. But sometimes you dont have the space. I have a 20 long under my 75 and its perfect. I baffled it into three sections. One is where the tank drains down, i have a thick sand bed there, some live rock, and chaeto. Then there is my first glass baffle. It over flows into a small section where i have live rock. Then it goes under the second glass baffle into my equipment section. This is where i have my skimmer and return pump.

With salt waterif you arent patient and wait til you can get the right stuff before starting you are just going to throw a bunch of stuff together and not be happy with it and spend more money in the long run. Trust me i know this for a fact. I am on my 4th tank in one year. I now have the tank i wanted to start with and after i get my new powerheads this month i will have all nice equipment. You want it to be as easy and stress/worry free as possible. That way you enjoy it instead of feeling like its a chore.
Back to top Go down
Flippercon
Flippercon

PostSubject: Re: saltwater setup questions   saltwater setup questions Icon_minitime1/2/2012, 11:06 am

08can-am wrote:

The overflow boxes are accidents waiting to happen. When they lose siphon you could be in for a mess. .

You should run two just like filters. One to back the other up just in case one gets clogged. Always test in real time before jumping right in and installing. I run two PVC overflows that can handle double the gph. In other words if one fails the other can handle the full load of the pump. I have never owned a drilled tank so I can't say much on that. There are fail safe methods to stop overflowing of sump or tank out there(floats).
Back to top Go down
Russ722
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

PostSubject: Re: saltwater setup questions   saltwater setup questions Icon_minitime1/2/2012, 1:29 pm

thanks guys for the suggestions and ideas ill look into it more
Back to top Go down
cwhip
cwhip

Favorite Fish: : Maroon clownfish,Tangs,bluespot jaw fish,Bangaii,Mandarins etc.......I love all fish really.

PostSubject: Re: saltwater setup questions   saltwater setup questions Icon_minitime1/3/2012, 7:14 am

if you really want the benefit's of a tank with a sump/fuge you really should
wait till you can get a reef ready tank simply because the potential of floods are likely. you can get a HOB fuge that will add beneficial critters, chaeto etc to your tank without the worry of flooding your house. check valves do fail..
Back to top Go down
Russ722
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

PostSubject: Re: saltwater setup questions   saltwater setup questions Icon_minitime1/11/2012, 8:51 pm

well after more research and watching some videos ive decided im gonna make my 75 gallon tank a saltwater tank with a diy overflow & make a 20g long tank for a sump .

i got a killer deal on approx. 100lbs of live rock and a coralife 125 protien skimmer for under $80.00 for both so thats gonna jump start this process. im still going to need the return pump , and some water circulators and sand but im off to a good start .

i have a few questions on the sump and overflow though .

1. what is the best setup to use and how many chambers? i was thinking skimmer/refugium with live rock and sand /return but how much space for each?

2. after i fill the tank ,when setting u the sump with the tank do i fill the sump to a certain level then turn the motor on ? how do i determin how much water to put in the sump?

3.whats the recommended pvc diameter for a 75 gallon tank and what return motor GPH do i need ? i think i read 600GPH but wanna check for sure.

thank you everyone for your help . im open to suggestions on canges on anything i posted .

Back to top Go down
Flippercon
Flippercon

PostSubject: Re: saltwater setup questions   saltwater setup questions Icon_minitime1/11/2012, 9:29 pm

Start off here and then use the search bar at the top and type in Sump. There are tons of links to your questions.
https://usafishbox.forumotion.com/t9243-sump-question?highlight=sump
https://usafishbox.forumotion.com/search?mode=searchbox&search_keywords=sump&show_results=topics
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: saltwater setup questions   saltwater setup questions Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

saltwater setup questions
Page 1 of 1