UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

Thinking of starting a Saltwater Setup for the 1st time.

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
DaMenace
Private First Class
Private First Class

Favorite Fish: : Frontosas, Discus and Peacocks

Thinking of starting a Saltwater Setup for the 1st time. Empty
PostSubject: Thinking of starting a Saltwater Setup for the 1st time.   Thinking of starting a Saltwater Setup for the 1st time. Icon_minitime10/12/2011, 5:38 pm

So I have a 110 gallon 60x18x24. I'm thinking I want to do a FOWLR setup. I plan on getting live sand since they say it helps with the filtration process. And by they I mean from what I have read. I want to make it a predator big fish setup. I want to start it with a puffer and lion fish. I plan on starting off very slow since I know it will be an expensive project and I don't want to mess anything up. I have a wet dry filter system. It is a ProClear 125 with an overflow prefilter box. I plan on using it. Now will that be enough or could I add either a Rena XP3 or an HOB filter? Will I need any type of special lighting for this setup? So all I think I'll be needing now is a skimmer for the sump part and some powerheads. One other question I have is. Can I use tap water and put prime in? I was thinking of getting a 30-50 gallon container (trash can) and adding water to it with prime. And then adding the salt for saltwater and mixing it with a powerhead. Am I in the right track so far?
Back to top Go down
plantedtankdude
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
plantedtankdude

Favorite Fish: : all of them along with mermaids and me I'm a Pisces.

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of starting a Saltwater Setup for the 1st time.   Thinking of starting a Saltwater Setup for the 1st time. Icon_minitime10/12/2011, 8:49 pm

yes that sump will work. make sure to get a return pump that will turn the tank over 10-12 times. get a good skimmer, do not go cheap on your skimmer. also get some good live rock... you can get dead sand that was live and just seed it with a cup or two of live sand out of some ones tank. tap, to many problems best to get ro or already made ro water.
Back to top Go down
DaMenace
Private First Class
Private First Class

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of starting a Saltwater Setup for the 1st time.   Thinking of starting a Saltwater Setup for the 1st time. Icon_minitime10/17/2011, 9:48 pm

Here is my setup...
Thinking of starting a Saltwater Setup for the 1st time. 13458832

Thinking of starting a Saltwater Setup for the 1st time. E1a30adc
Back to top Go down
strikingthematch
Captain
Captain
strikingthematch

Favorite Fish: : Discus, Stingrays, Arowana, Rams, and Angels

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of starting a Saltwater Setup for the 1st time.   Thinking of starting a Saltwater Setup for the 1st time. Icon_minitime10/17/2011, 9:59 pm

Can't give much input on saltwater setup but that tank looks like it has tons of potential! I can see it now... (fast forward a year) pictures posted of a thriving tank with coral and all sorts of craziness popping out haha.
Back to top Go down
DaMenace
Private First Class
Private First Class

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of starting a Saltwater Setup for the 1st time.   Thinking of starting a Saltwater Setup for the 1st time. Icon_minitime10/17/2011, 10:09 pm

Lol thanks... A year from now I will have upgraded to something bigger lol...
Back to top Go down
strikingthematch
Captain
Captain
strikingthematch

Favorite Fish: : Discus, Stingrays, Arowana, Rams, and Angels

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of starting a Saltwater Setup for the 1st time.   Thinking of starting a Saltwater Setup for the 1st time. Icon_minitime10/17/2011, 10:20 pm

DaMenace wrote:
Lol thanks... A year from now I will have upgraded to something bigger lol...

Even better! Thinking of starting a Saltwater Setup for the 1st time. 690297 lol!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of starting a Saltwater Setup for the 1st time.   Thinking of starting a Saltwater Setup for the 1st time. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Thinking of starting a Saltwater Setup for the 1st time.
Page 1 of 1