UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

Help with ammonia issue???

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
stunice
Private
Private

Favorite Fish: : African Cichlids

Help with ammonia issue??? Empty
PostSubject: Help with ammonia issue???   Help with ammonia issue??? Icon_minitime9/1/2011, 9:15 am

Any suggestions for lowering the ammonia level in a 75 gal. freshwater tank? I have tried the obvious things, water change, amquel treatment, and dirty filter water from good tank. Not much change in 3 days since. I have 2 aqua tech filters running and sand for substrate. I had bala sharks, various barbs, large angels, guaramis, and a eel in tank doing fine then I added small angels and some danios and within 2 days lost most of the new fish, and realized I had the ammonia issue. Ph is fine. Any suggestions? Thanks, Stu
Back to top Go down
Flippercon
Flippercon

Favorite Fish: : Electric Blue Rocio Octofasciata

PostSubject: Re: Help with ammonia issue???   Help with ammonia issue??? Icon_minitime9/1/2011, 9:35 am

Has the filters been cycled? Are you using tap water? In your water changes are you cleaning the substrate as well? Sorry for all the queations but starting from the basics will help.
Back to top Go down
stunice
Private
Private

PostSubject: Re: Help with ammonia issue???   Help with ammonia issue??? Icon_minitime9/1/2011, 9:44 am

Flippercon wrote:
Has the filters been cycled? Are you using tap water? In your water changes are you cleaning the substrate as well? Sorry for all the queations but starting from the basics will help.

Yes tank had been running before issue was found and filters had cycled. Using local tap water which is high in ammonia, but treat each 5 gal. bucket with amquel. This last time I changed 30 gal. but did not clean the sand, it looks good and local fish store suggested not to.
Back to top Go down
Yeti
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class

Favorite Fish: : Cichlids, Mbuna & Haps/Peacocks
Bitten by the saltbug

PostSubject: Re: Help with ammonia issue???   Help with ammonia issue??? Icon_minitime9/1/2011, 9:52 am

In addition to Flipper's questions.
Do you change both filters at the same time or do them alternately, so you have one "cultured" and one fresh?
Also have you added any new "natural" decorations? A few years ago I struggled with an ammonia issue with a new tank, I cycled and cycled, more frequent and less frequent water changes until I was hitting my head against the wall. Finally I removed a large quartz crystal I'd put in there. Within about 3 days my ammonia problem started to fall and within a week had disappeared. Strange but true.
Also I've heard of a deep sand bed being a problem, sediment gradually settling down deep where the cleaning with syphon doesn't reach and then releasing poisons back into the tank.
Back to top Go down
stunice
Private
Private

PostSubject: Re: Help with ammonia issue???   Help with ammonia issue??? Icon_minitime9/1/2011, 9:59 am

Yeti wrote:
In addition to Flipper's questions.
Do you change both filters at the same time or do them alternately, so you have one "cultured" and one fresh?
Also have you added any new "natural" decorations? A few years ago I struggled with an ammonia issue with a new tank, I cycled and cycled, more frequent and less frequent water changes until I was hitting my head against the wall. Finally I removed a large quartz crystal I'd put in there. Within about 3 days my ammonia problem started to fall and within a week had disappeared. Strange but true.
Also I've heard of a deep sand bed being a problem, sediment gradually settling down deep where the cleaning with syphon doesn't reach and then releasing poisons back into the tank.

Alternate on filters, each filter has two sides with two different cartridges so never change both at any one time. No new decorations and no plants. Sand is thin layer maybe 1-2 inches at most.
Back to top Go down
Flippercon
Flippercon

PostSubject: Re: Help with ammonia issue???   Help with ammonia issue??? Icon_minitime9/1/2011, 10:10 am

What are your ammonia readings out the tap? How often do you feed? Sounds like you are doing everthing right. I would continue with larger water changes . If you are using straight tap I would do a complete 100% wc and take readings on new water before water change and one 24 hours later.
Back to top Go down
stunice
Private
Private

PostSubject: Re: Help with ammonia issue???   Help with ammonia issue??? Icon_minitime9/1/2011, 10:21 am

Flippercon wrote:
What are your ammonia readings out the tap? How often do you feed? Sounds like you are doing everthing right. I would continue with larger water changes . If you are using straight tap I would do a complete 100% wc and take readings on new water before water change and one 24 hours later.

The tap water is between 2 and 4 on the chart. after I did the 30 gal. change 2 days ago the reading is close to 8. How do you do a 100% water change, thats new to me? Feed once a day.
Back to top Go down
Flippercon
Flippercon

PostSubject: Re: Help with ammonia issue???   Help with ammonia issue??? Icon_minitime9/1/2011, 10:26 am

Buckets my friend. Get 5 gallon buckets. But first take some tap water and place it in a clean bucket. Let it sit for 24 hours and test. Do that for three days. 4ppm out the tap is way too high. I would call your water company and have them do some test. What kit are you using for testing? Is expired? You can also check your local water company readings online. Just google search it. Most water companies I have delt with are very helpful.
Back to top Go down
stunice
Private
Private

PostSubject: Re: Help with ammonia issue???   Help with ammonia issue??? Icon_minitime9/1/2011, 10:42 am

Flippercon wrote:
Buckets my friend. Get 5 gallon buckets. But first take some tap water and place it in a clean bucket. Let it sit for 24 hours and test. Do that for three days. 4ppm out the tap is way too high. I would call your water company and have them do some test. What kit are you using for testing? Is expired? You can also check your local water company readings online. Just google search it. Most water companies I have delt with are very helpful.

Using the API brand new test kit which is compatable with the amquel I use for treatment. My local store suggested to keep trying to add more dirty water from other tanks I have that are good hoping that would break down the high ammonia in my big one. just crazy that my existing fish adjusted to it so well, none of them have died. I will check into the water co. levels for this area, that's a good idea, thanks.
Back to top Go down
Flippercon
Flippercon

PostSubject: Re: Help with ammonia issue???   Help with ammonia issue??? Icon_minitime9/1/2011, 2:03 pm

Well adding dirty water is just adding more ammonia. If you were to take tank water out of anyone's established tank and let it sit unfiltered the organics will breakdown into ammonia. This is why new water is best when shipping/transporting fish. Always use new water when changing. Get the ammonia reading straight from the tap. Do a complete 100% water change,this way you know what the starting point is. If your filters are established enough you should have a 0ppm ammoina in 24 hours. If your water out the tap is higher then 2ppm it may take longer. I have done fishless cycles dosing 2ppm of ammonia daily and fully stocked the tank when 0ppm was acheived in 24 hours with nitrate present . What are your nitrite and nitrate readings?? It just makes sense. Hope this helps.
Back to top Go down
stunice
Private
Private

PostSubject: Re: Help with ammonia issue???   Help with ammonia issue??? Icon_minitime9/1/2011, 2:32 pm

Flippercon wrote:
Well adding dirty water is just adding more ammonia. If you were to take tank water out of anyone's established tank and let it sit unfiltered the organics will breakdown into ammonia. This is why new water is best when shipping/transporting fish. Always use new water when changing. Get the ammonia reading straight from the tap. Do a complete 100% water change,this way you know what the starting point is. If your filters are established enough you should have a 0ppm ammoina in 24 hours. If your water out the tap is higher then 2ppm it may take longer. I have done fishless cycles dosing 2ppm of ammonia daily and fully stocked the tank when 0ppm was acheived in 24 hours with nitrate present . What are your nitrite and nitrate readings?? It just makes sense. Hope this helps.

Forgive my ignorance but to do the full change do you mean to put existing fish in buckets, drain the tank, refill with treated water and wait 24 hours or more for the ammonia to get low enough, then put fish back in. Can my fish make it in buckets for a day or two? Just curious, is there any other way to drop the level of ammonia in the water in the tank now?
Back to top Go down
Flippercon
Flippercon

PostSubject: Re: Help with ammonia issue???   Help with ammonia issue??? Icon_minitime9/1/2011, 2:42 pm

No just put them back in after the change.
Back to top Go down
stunice
Private
Private

PostSubject: Re: Help with ammonia issue???   Help with ammonia issue??? Icon_minitime9/1/2011, 2:57 pm

Flippercon wrote:
No just put them back in after the change.

cool, thanks for the idea, Flippercon. I guess I have plans for my day off tomorrow now, lol. Stu-Nice
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Help with ammonia issue???   Help with ammonia issue??? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Help with ammonia issue???
Page 1 of 1