UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLog inRegisterFAQ
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.

Odd Ammonia Levels

Go down 
AuthorMessage
sama98
Private First Class
Private First Class
sama98

Favorite Fish: : Red Tailed Shark and Snowflake Pleco.

Odd Ammonia Levels Empty
PostSubject: Odd Ammonia Levels   Odd Ammonia Levels Icon_minitime12/4/2012, 4:58 pm

Hello, my tank has been doing really great so far and I just begun tetsing for ammonia levels and when I tested it showed me that the levels were at 4.0 to 8.0ppm. I did some reasearch and it said that all fish would be dead. I have only had one casualty since I have started the tank. I am using the API Ammonia Tester; some of the websites say that my conditioner might be giving me a false positive, or it might only remove chloramine from tap water instead of chloramine and ammonia. I use API Stress Coat as my water conditioner. I have tested multiple times and gotten the same results. I also tested my tap water after I tested the tank and it gave me 0ppm ammonia levels, which websites say is very unlikely. I am using an undergravel filter, a power filter, and a 12 inch airstone. My pH levels are also good. I just need a second opinion on this.

Thanks!!!

Back to top Go down
sama98
Private First Class
Private First Class
sama98

Odd Ammonia Levels Empty
PostSubject: Re: Odd Ammonia Levels   Odd Ammonia Levels Icon_minitime12/4/2012, 9:04 pm

Someone please help me I am very confused about this
Back to top Go down
BFinley
Admin
Admin
BFinley

Favorite Fish: : Frontosa and Red Tail Catfish and All Africans

Odd Ammonia Levels Empty
PostSubject: Re: Odd Ammonia Levels   Odd Ammonia Levels Icon_minitime12/4/2012, 10:24 pm

I would stop using stress coat and use prime! Best on the market! I have African cichlids and never have any problems! Been using prime for years! Everyone I know uses prime! usafishbox

**********USAfishbox.com*************

Odd Ammonia Levels CMSIG

Odd Ammonia Levels CAST-Sig

Say hello to my little friend

usafishbox usafishbox usafishbox usafishbox
Back to top Go down
sschult
Sergeant
Sergeant
sschult

Odd Ammonia Levels Empty
PostSubject: Re: Odd Ammonia Levels   Odd Ammonia Levels Icon_minitime12/5/2012, 5:43 pm

Good evening Sama98, as I read your info I had to go back and check a couple of items I might haved missed, but if you follow your info and am going to aproach this from a new tank set up point of view, you said: under gravel filter, power head, and 12" air stone, let back up a little so we here can help you.

Tank Size =
Power Head Volume =
How long have you had the tank set up =
number of fish and size in the tank =

I would say the third question should have been the first since its the most important, remember just trying to help you, what's a little odd is you have only have had on fish death, with your levels of amonia, those are probably the levels of amonia in a cat litter box. Give us the information I requested and your going to get lots and lots of help here. Have a great evening Odd Ammonia Levels 772341
Back to top Go down
sama98
Private First Class
Private First Class
sama98

Odd Ammonia Levels Empty
PostSubject: Re: Odd Ammonia Levels   Odd Ammonia Levels Icon_minitime12/5/2012, 6:32 pm

Ok the tank is 20g (24L, 12W, 16T)
I do not know the volume of the power filter it is a topfin 20 if that helps
About a month
11 Cardinal Tetras, 11 Long Fin Zebra Danios, 3 Phantom Tetras, 3 Hatchet Fish, 3 Glass Cat Fish, 2 Cory Cat Fish, 1 Blue Gourami, 1 Red Dwarf Gourami, and 1 Pleco.
Back to top Go down
sama98
Private First Class
Private First Class
sama98

Odd Ammonia Levels Empty
PostSubject: Re: Odd Ammonia Levels   Odd Ammonia Levels Icon_minitime12/5/2012, 6:45 pm

36 fish total
Back to top Go down
sama98
Private First Class
Private First Class
sama98

Odd Ammonia Levels Empty
PostSubject: Re: Odd Ammonia Levels   Odd Ammonia Levels Icon_minitime12/6/2012, 4:21 pm

Please tell me if you need anymore info, I will be happy to give it.
Back to top Go down
sama98
Private First Class
Private First Class
sama98

Odd Ammonia Levels Empty
PostSubject: Re: Odd Ammonia Levels   Odd Ammonia Levels Icon_minitime12/6/2012, 4:23 pm

Every thing is still the same no deaths but I am still getting these readings. I forgot to mention that there is about a half inch thick layer of bubbles forming on the water line but the fish do not mind
Back to top Go down
sschult
Sergeant
Sergeant
sschult

Odd Ammonia Levels Empty
PostSubject: Re: Odd Ammonia Levels   Odd Ammonia Levels Icon_minitime12/6/2012, 6:30 pm

Just got of the Golf Course, what a day!!!!!!!!! AWESOME, can't hit that little ball a hoot but who cares, what a AWESOME day!!!!!!, ok back to your tank, did not have the info on your power head so I looked it up and saw that's rated for 100 gals per hr. that's ok for that one, the one thing I have seen is to be closer to the thruth I always minus about 20% and that gives me a closer number, first you have to get some charcoal filtration in that tank till it cycles, because you have to remove all that waste those fish are discharging, water changes wont do you any good because your tank has not cycled, by that I mean you have to have beneficial bacteria in the system so it can stabilize it self, just think you have a small little lake in your house how do you help it, BUT FIRST, your are way over the limit in fish per gal ration, am going to give you my numbers and that will help you, am going to list the tanks I have w/numbers of fish in them.

29 Gal 2fish
55 gal 4 fish
120 gal 2 fish
180 gal 6 fish
At this point all you can do is be reactive, because the bubles or foam your getting on top of the water is the lack of exchange between the good and bad bacteria, am trying to keep it simple for you or others of what am trying to help you to understand, when I first mentioned, charcoal is because at this point if you do water changes, yes it will bring the amonia levels down but the water changes wont allow your tank to cycle in the proper time or as fast as possible, if you have a friend with a fish tank that you can ask him/or her to take half of your fishes for a while it would help you inmensly, sencond you need, sorry I recomend a sencond power head on the other side of the undergravel, at this point if the second tubing for the undergravel is in place, just take out the air stone, witch is the reason I think you have not have more fish dye, and insert it in the under ground tubbing, if you don't get the charcoal filtration, whats called chemical filtration, you are going to start having some negative issues soon. The other side of the undergravel has to also be in operation or other wise half of your system is not working properlly. The stress coat you are using is ok I use it all the time also, the issue you are having is a not cycled tank with way to many fish in it, man I wish you the best and be patient, work on a hang on filter as soon as you can, or find a home for half of those fish for a couple of weeks, but at this point you are asking a Volkswagen to pull a Semi loaded with cargo up the from Florida to Maine. Others here might be able to help you and shed a little more light on the issue
Back to top Go down
sschult
Sergeant
Sergeant
sschult

Odd Ammonia Levels Empty
PostSubject: Re: Odd Ammonia Levels   Odd Ammonia Levels Icon_minitime12/6/2012, 6:46 pm

I did forgot to ask about what type of substrate you have over your undergravel and or decorations you have in the tank, I started from the premise you have Items purchased for aquarium use and no items in the tank other than those have been put into the tank, I new a person that called me a while back and told me his fish were dying, I went over to his house and saw they had had oysters over the weekend and he thought the oyster shells would look cool in the tank. So see any small piece of info could help you in the long run, here to help, best wishes, Odd Ammonia Levels 772341
Back to top Go down
BFinley
Admin
Admin
BFinley

Favorite Fish: : Frontosa and Red Tail Catfish and All Africans

Odd Ammonia Levels Empty
PostSubject: Re: Odd Ammonia Levels   Odd Ammonia Levels Icon_minitime12/7/2012, 5:54 pm

It's best to over filter your tank or tanks no matter how many fish you have! If you have a 20g tank get a filter that will do a 40g tank!

**********USAfishbox.com*************

Odd Ammonia Levels CMSIG

Odd Ammonia Levels CAST-Sig

Say hello to my little friend

usafishbox usafishbox usafishbox usafishbox
Back to top Go down
D.Gray
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
D.Gray

Favorite Fish: : live ones.. And shrimp.

Odd Ammonia Levels Empty
PostSubject: Re: Odd Ammonia Levels   Odd Ammonia Levels Icon_minitime12/8/2012, 12:49 pm

BFinley wrote:
It's best to over filter your tank or tanks no matter how many fish you have! If you have a 20g tank get a filter that will do a 40g tank!

While I agree with BFinley on the over filtration I am going to give you a second method that works as well.

I too have a 20 gallon regular tank like yours with under gravel filters, however I power mine with two 180 gallon per hour power heads running in reverse flow. Reverse flow means the intake of the power head is attached to a sponge filter (I use the Hydrosponge for a 40 gallon tank on each power head) and then the output of the power head is on a 90 degree elbow that connects to the filter riser tube on each of my two back corners of the tank.

The air, water flow goes from the tank and down under the filter plate taking the debris down under the filter plate and blows the debris through your substrate (this is better for planted tanks). I use one inch round gravel on top of the filter plate, plant substrate, and then regular pea gravel on top of that.

So in effect my flow in the tank is 360 gallon per hour with little to no current.

Also I use filtered water to do my water changes (the drinking water filter for the house which is a solid carbon block filter) that I have tested for chlorine and chloramine (zero present). If I find either chlorine or chloramine I crush 25mg of unflavored vitamin C into 25 gallons and put an air stone into the mix and the asorbic acid in the vitamin C will bind to the chlorine/chloramine causing a harmless element which will off gas from your water. By using this method your tests for amonia, nitrite, and nitrate aren't skewed by the water conditioner you are using. The water conditioners depending on the brand tend to skew nitrate and amonia tests.

As to the bubbles that can be a good thing, and you can remove them with a small protein skimmer as they are very similar to the 'bubbles' on a marine set up.

Yes aquarium water is like a lab experiment, but it sure is fun.

Dave
Back to top Go down
WiscoMurk
Private
Private

Favorite Fish: : Raymond the Stingray and Jack the Ghostknife.

Odd Ammonia Levels Empty
PostSubject: Re: Odd Ammonia Levels   Odd Ammonia Levels Icon_minitime12/11/2012, 10:41 am

I am curious as to whether or not your tank recovered. Keep us posted.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Odd Ammonia Levels Empty
PostSubject: Re: Odd Ammonia Levels   Odd Ammonia Levels Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Odd Ammonia Levels
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
UsaFishBox :: :: Freshwater Aquaria :: General Freshwater Fish Discussion-
Jump to: