UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

ammonia and nitrates

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
lizluck
Private
Private
lizluck

Favorite Fish: : any and all live bearers!

ammonia and nitrates Empty
PostSubject: ammonia and nitrates   ammonia and nitrates Icon_minitime7/24/2011, 11:34 pm

ok so i was at the fish store the other day (which, sadly, is only a petsmart, and their knowledge is very limited!) and the guy was telling me that nitrates turned into ammonia, and that my nitrates in my water were high, therefore killing my new fish and will soon turn into ammonia and kill the rest of them.
now, isn't it the ammonia that turns into nitrates, not the other way around?
i asked him and he assured me i was wrong. now i'm confused, and i'd just like to know which turns into which! just for future reference, in case this happens again!

either way, my tank is doing much better. i did water changes and bought a few more live plants, also returned my remaining new fish (for now!) to the store. no casualties for a few days, plus i have a few guppy fry!
Back to top Go down
Glabe
Private First Class
Private First Class
Glabe

Favorite Fish: : Tiger Barbs, Botias and Loaches

PostSubject: Re: ammonia and nitrates   ammonia and nitrates Icon_minitime7/24/2011, 11:41 pm

ammonia comes out of the fishes' rear end and stuff that is rotting in the tank. bacteria turns ammonia into nitrites. another bacteria turns nitrites into nitrates. the only way to get rid of nitrates is to do routine water changes (or plants will suck them all up if you're tank is uber planted with a very low bioload.) i'd tell a manager that this guy is probably killing customers' fish lol.

here's a great link to a cycling guide that talks all about ammonia, nitrite, nitrates, and the whole process.
cycling guide!

Last edited by Glabe on 7/24/2011, 11:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Glabe
Private First Class
Private First Class
Glabe

Favorite Fish: : Tiger Barbs, Botias and Loaches

PostSubject: Re: ammonia and nitrates   ammonia and nitrates Icon_minitime7/24/2011, 11:44 pm

so if you have high levels of only nitrates, try 2 50% water changes and retest
Back to top Go down
lizluck
Private
Private
lizluck

Favorite Fish: : any and all live bearers!

PostSubject: Re: ammonia and nitrates   ammonia and nitrates Icon_minitime7/24/2011, 11:49 pm

oookay that is what i thought, but since i had gotten my info from the web, i thought maybe i had it wrong. i need to go in there and teach them a thing or two, i guess...
ammonia and nitrates 196631
not going to do much i'm sure.

thanks for the info!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: ammonia and nitrates   ammonia and nitrates Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

ammonia and nitrates
Page 1 of 1