UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

What to do with 10 gallon tank

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
ClarkeExotics
Sergeant
Sergeant

What to do with 10 gallon tank Empty
PostSubject: What to do with 10 gallon tank   What to do with 10 gallon tank Icon_minitime6/27/2011, 1:11 pm

We are moving into a new apartment in the beginning of August. I am planning on getting a water trough to put together an indoor pond for my goldfish. I will be needing help with that when I get it, but I'll make a new thread for that.

He's currently in a ten gallon tank that I've had up and running for almost a year, he's been in the tank for over 6 months I think. The current residents are the goldfish (about 4 inches long) and 4 red wag platies. I'm running a Top Fin 10 on it. I originally had a incandescent light hood on it, but when we went through our storage unit to begin re-packing our stuff, I found a florescent light hood. (It looks like a whole new tank now) I have a java fern that is sprouting tons of baby plants. I count 6 (three of which have detached.)

I really don't want the red wags. They were kind of dumped on me when I didn't want them and I've never really enjoyed them. I want to put something in this tank that I'm going to enjoy. I'll be finding homes for them soon but I want to have a plan on what to put in the tank when I get it moved over to the new place in August.

So I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on species that would go well in a 10g. I know it is not a whole lot of space, but it is what I have to work with. Hubby won't agree to a larger tank until we own our own home. At least for right now. I kind of want something I could breed. (I have an extra 10g with filter that I could set up for raising fry.)
Back to top Go down
Ben
Ben

Favorite Fish: : Venustus and Catfish

PostSubject: Re: What to do with 10 gallon tank   What to do with 10 gallon tank Icon_minitime6/27/2011, 1:27 pm

You could do some kind of fancy guppy or maybe some Endler's. Both do well and would breed fine for you in a 10g. You could try a group of small tetras but I have no experience with breeding those but I would think 10g would work.
Back to top Go down
ClarkeExotics
Sergeant
Sergeant

PostSubject: Re: What to do with 10 gallon tank   What to do with 10 gallon tank Icon_minitime6/27/2011, 1:55 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. A species that likes a lot of plant cover would be best since I plan on getting into doing a lot of live plants. The java fern is all I have for now but I'll be doing research soon on what species of plants I'd like to keep in the tank.
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

Favorite Fish: : African Cichlids of all kinds.

PostSubject: Re: What to do with 10 gallon tank   What to do with 10 gallon tank Icon_minitime6/27/2011, 1:56 pm

Shell dweller, Some sort of shrimps , small planted tank.
Back to top Go down
BFinley
Admin
Admin
BFinley

Favorite Fish: : Frontosa and Red Tail Catfish and All Africans

PostSubject: Re: What to do with 10 gallon tank   What to do with 10 gallon tank Icon_minitime6/27/2011, 2:00 pm

Small planted tank with abunch of small tetras!I'm doing one right now and will be putting 40 cardinal tetras in there and thats it.Keep us posted on what you decide to do and pics! usafishbox What to do with 10 gallon tank 772341
Back to top Go down
ClarkeExotics
Sergeant
Sergeant

PostSubject: Re: What to do with 10 gallon tank   What to do with 10 gallon tank Icon_minitime6/27/2011, 2:06 pm

Shell dweller? Cardinals are pretty. I'll have to look into those a bit more. With shrimp I'm kind of limited. The only shrimp I have access to is ghost shrimp and I've heard those like brackish conditions.

I'll be doing a test on the water in my tank (I haven't tested in a long time. :( I'm bad) to make sure it hasn't gone through another cycle. (I lost two red wags. One was very old and the other was one I purchased from work and it quickly began to go downhill after bringing it home)
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

Favorite Fish: : African Cichlids of all kinds.

PostSubject: Re: What to do with 10 gallon tank   What to do with 10 gallon tank Icon_minitime6/27/2011, 2:44 pm

I have a bunch of Red Cherry shrimp and James has a ton to choose from. Some of the best I have ever seen. We both ship so your choices are wide open What to do with 10 gallon tank 690297

Shell Dweller is a very small Cichlid. Here are some links to some.

http://www.davesfish.com/images/Lamprologus%20ocellatus%20gold.jpg
http://www.davesfish.com/images/Lamprologus%20brevis%20Katabe.jpg
http://www.davesfish.com/images/Lamprologus%20speciosus.jpg
Back to top Go down
Ben
Ben

Favorite Fish: : Venustus and Catfish

PostSubject: Re: What to do with 10 gallon tank   What to do with 10 gallon tank Icon_minitime6/27/2011, 3:20 pm

Mark sells shell dwellers over at Cichlid Solutions if you go that route as well.
Back to top Go down
ClarkeExotics
Sergeant
Sergeant

PostSubject: Re: What to do with 10 gallon tank   What to do with 10 gallon tank Icon_minitime6/27/2011, 3:28 pm

How many can you put in a 10g? And what kind of set up would they need as far as substrate, hiding places, lighting, temp, pH?
Back to top Go down
plantedtankdude
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
plantedtankdude

Favorite Fish: : all of them along with mermaids and me I'm a Pisces.

PostSubject: Re: What to do with 10 gallon tank   What to do with 10 gallon tank Icon_minitime6/28/2011, 1:06 pm

red crystel shrimp with moss, or a iwaguni style planted tank with some harquin rasboras....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What to do with 10 gallon tank   What to do with 10 gallon tank Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What to do with 10 gallon tank
Page 1 of 1