UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

55 gallon tank help?

Go down 
+3
wblueus
istrober
dcninja757
7 posters
AuthorMessage
dcninja757
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class

Favorite Fish: : Fish

55 gallon tank help? Empty
PostSubject: 55 gallon tank help?   55 gallon tank help? Icon_minitime11/26/2010, 11:32 am

**new pic posted on this thread as one of my replies**

I just got a 55 gallon (seems small compared to the 90 I had) but I guess this will work for some good cichlids...i'm looking at red devil (love them) jack dempsey, firemouth, and maybe 1 other cichlid and a catfish or some kind of oddball... a little overstocked I know, but I have quadruple the filtering needed. lol

it's got a black background, and black gravel with a tiny tiny bit of light blue gravel mixed in... looks really good but I dunno how to decorate it, i've only done natural tanks before... I got it off craigslist. It has a few decorations but I dunno if I like them or if i should go buy new stuff to decorate with.

55 gallon tank help? Imag0010

Last edited by dcninja757 on 12/3/2010, 5:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
istrober
istrober

Favorite Fish: : Africans, Peacocks, Catfish.. pertty much everything that has fins and tail...

PostSubject: Re: 55 gallon tank help?   55 gallon tank help? Icon_minitime11/26/2010, 11:37 am

Im a little more into natural decorations, you have a good size tank for that, those look good but everybody has different taste, i will buy some river rocks, plants and maybe some driftwood and i'll bet your fish will be even more happier.. good luck!!
Back to top Go down
dcninja757
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class

PostSubject: Re: 55 gallon tank help?   55 gallon tank help? Icon_minitime11/26/2010, 11:41 am

im thinking when iget paid again i'm going to go with some dark colored wood or rock formations and some good looking fake plants to breakup the dark colors and call it a day... im gonna get rid of everything in there except the house, cuz i like it... lol
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 55 gallon tank help?   55 gallon tank help? Icon_minitime11/26/2010, 12:05 pm

The fake plants will be floating so use some GE silicone I (not II) and glue them to heavy rocks. You can use rocks you find just be sure to boil them first. The decor will be rearranged by your fish so I wouldn't put alot of effort into it.
Back to top Go down
dcninja757
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class

PostSubject: Re: 55 gallon tank help?   55 gallon tank help? Icon_minitime11/26/2010, 12:19 pm

yea my red devil loved to dig and build... lol driftwood and some plants would be better than the random assortment of stuff i got with the tank... should i also add some rock with the driftwood and plants or just keep it simple, piece of driftwood in the middle and some fake plants climbing around the back of the tank?
Back to top Go down
dcninja757
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class

PostSubject: Re: 55 gallon tank help?   55 gallon tank help? Icon_minitime11/26/2010, 12:26 pm

i'm also thinking about just getting rock, like the long flat rocks and stacking them to make tons of hiding spots for the fish so smaller cichlids will have tons of places to hide. I could see just getting a bunch of rock and making it really nice that way, but where would I get the rock so it'll look decent?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 55 gallon tank help?   55 gallon tank help? Icon_minitime11/26/2010, 12:34 pm

look at garden centers much cheaper than LFS, even Lowes or Home Depot.
Back to top Go down
dcninja757
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class

PostSubject: Re: 55 gallon tank help?   55 gallon tank help? Icon_minitime11/26/2010, 12:37 pm

what do i look for when i go there?
Back to top Go down
wblueus
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Favorite Fish: : cichlids

PostSubject: Re: 55 gallon tank help?   55 gallon tank help? Icon_minitime11/26/2010, 1:37 pm

I have firemouths in my 55 gal but i would not recommend having a firemouth in there with those other cichlids you mentioned cause they are a weak cichlid and might get bullied to death. I like colored gravel but the paint will start coming off sooner or later thats been my case anyhow.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 55 gallon tank help?   55 gallon tank help? Icon_minitime11/26/2010, 1:57 pm

Look for any natural rock no limestone rocks it will effect the PH
Back to top Go down
dcninja757
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class

PostSubject: Re: 55 gallon tank help?   55 gallon tank help? Icon_minitime11/26/2010, 3:19 pm

I forgot Firemouth is smaller than the others thanks for heads up
Back to top Go down
dano
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
dano

PostSubject: Re: 55 gallon tank help?   55 gallon tank help? Icon_minitime11/26/2010, 3:54 pm

Dcninja....Look in your local yellow pages for landscapers or landscaping supply......many of these people have a selection of rock that is reasonably cheap that they sell by the pound........There is a place here that I have used for years and they have almost any type of rock you could want.
Back to top Go down
dcninja757
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class

PostSubject: Re: 55 gallon tank help?   55 gallon tank help? Icon_minitime11/26/2010, 4:41 pm

how many pounds would I need to covet the back wall and curve around the sides of my 55?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 55 gallon tank help?   55 gallon tank help? Icon_minitime11/26/2010, 6:02 pm

If those 2 filters are the whisper 30-60 and the emperor 400 your not really over filtered at all but just about at what you need.

Your really going to have to eyeball it on how much rock you will need depending on size and shape and whatnot.
Back to top Go down
mike205
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
mike205

Favorite Fish: : peacocks and koi

PostSubject: Re: 55 gallon tank help?   55 gallon tank help? Icon_minitime11/26/2010, 9:07 pm

it looks ok how it is maybe just needs some fake plants
Back to top Go down
bcijoe
Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1
bcijoe

Favorite Fish: : Betta, Pacu, Clown Loach, Alfbn Pleco, Yellow Fin Barb (Lemon Barb), White Fin Rosy Tetra, Congo Tetra, more

PostSubject: Re: 55 gallon tank help?   55 gallon tank help? Icon_minitime11/26/2010, 10:28 pm

dcninja757 wrote:
how many pounds would I need to covet the back wall and curve around the sides of my 55?

I wouldn't go crazy with rock, considering it's not a huge tank and you will have a few cichlids that will be growing fairly large in the near future. The more rock, the less water capacity for the fish to actually use.

I would probably make a cave for each fish starting out, aside from maybe some plastic plants, but leave as much open room as possible.

If you're putting a red devil, firemouth, jack dempsey and something else together, chances are you might end up with just the red devil... they can get pretty nasty. affraid

Back to top Go down
dcninja757
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class

PostSubject: Re: 55 gallon tank help?   55 gallon tank help? Icon_minitime11/27/2010, 9:37 am

my parents have some clay pots and a big quartz stone my mom had in her aquarium before... I might use teh bubble house thing in the pic and go with the stone and the pots...can't beat free! opinions?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 55 gallon tank help?   55 gallon tank help? Icon_minitime11/27/2010, 9:56 am

That sounds like a good plan!
Back to top Go down
istrober
istrober

Favorite Fish: : Africans, Peacocks, Catfish.. pertty much everything that has fins and tail...

PostSubject: Re: 55 gallon tank help?   55 gallon tank help? Icon_minitime11/27/2010, 10:24 am

Yeap, you dont wanna mess around with a Red Devil, i've seen them fight before they are not easy fish...
Back to top Go down
dcninja757
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class

PostSubject: Re: 55 gallon tank help?   55 gallon tank help? Icon_minitime11/27/2010, 2:06 pm

yea i had a big red devil and abig jack dempsey and some smaller cichlids, it worked well though, he was aggressive but never killed... just chased a lot... i kept them well fed so maybe that helped.
Back to top Go down
dcninja757
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class

PostSubject: Re: 55 gallon tank help?   55 gallon tank help? Icon_minitime12/3/2010, 5:08 pm

so here's the evolution... and the plan...

currently: 55 gallon tank help? Imag0113

the plan is to add a snail or two or something different to the tank just for variety, add 1 more colorful cichlid, remove the two white rocks from the tank, add live plants.

how's it coming along so far? opinions? advice?
Back to top Go down
mike205
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
mike205

Favorite Fish: : peacocks and koi

PostSubject: Re: 55 gallon tank help?   55 gallon tank help? Icon_minitime12/3/2010, 6:48 pm

it looks good is that a real piece of wood
Back to top Go down
dcninja757
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class

PostSubject: Re: 55 gallon tank help?   55 gallon tank help? Icon_minitime12/3/2010, 7:13 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bJZNWZ9x3I

link to vid above... nope! it's fake! but it looks reaaaal good and won't stain the water! Looks even better in person!
Back to top Go down
Petersmonkey
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
Petersmonkey

Favorite Fish: : Angels

PostSubject: Re: 55 gallon tank help?   55 gallon tank help? Icon_minitime12/6/2010, 12:08 am

I love the back ground and the lights.... I saw ur youtube page and the pictus cat was standing out like a BMW in a Honda Dealership..

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 55 gallon tank help?   55 gallon tank help? Icon_minitime12/6/2010, 12:30 am

wow what a difference very nice.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 55 gallon tank help?   55 gallon tank help? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

55 gallon tank help?
Page 1 of 1