UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

help me choose a plant

Go down 
+3
williemcd
Keelo
hello2196
7 posters
AuthorMessage
hello2196
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class
hello2196

help me choose a plant Empty
PostSubject: help me choose a plant   help me choose a plant Icon_minitime3/6/2011, 8:03 pm

hey, I'm wanting some sort of live plants to put in my 55g with Low light (46 or 48 watt bulb), I would like something that grows quick and that I can split off into multiple pieces so i can have a lot of it. any suggestions would be good, thank you in advance
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: help me choose a plant   help me choose a plant Icon_minitime3/6/2011, 8:51 pm

Java fern, and Java moss both grow fast, and do ok in low light and reproduce fast!
Back to top Go down
Keelo
Major
Major
Keelo

Favorite Fish: : Mollys, BN plec, and Thoracochromis brauschi

PostSubject: Re: help me choose a plant   help me choose a plant Icon_minitime3/6/2011, 9:02 pm

Make sure you still have the right lights for low light plants. I found this article for you. My "lowlight" plants dont grow well in my normal tank lights and i didnt know why because i thought they could grow with normal lights. So check this out:

"When people talk about the levels of light it's the power and not the duration. All lights should be on for about 10-12 hours a day. 1-2 watts per gallon are normally considered low light condition, 2-3 w/g are medium lights, and above that are high lights. This assumes that the lights are "full spectrum" ones - the ones, which imitate the sun light the closest and are consumed by the plants the best (I believe this type of lights is the most appropriate both for terrestrial and aquatic plants). If your lights are not full-spectrum (light temperature in the range 5000-6500K) then you usually need more powerful bulbs than described above."

If you can get something like that theres sooooo many options for "low light" plants. hornwort, java moss, java fern, anubias, Wendtii (red and green), duckweed, baby tears, ect ect
Back to top Go down
williemcd
Major
Major
williemcd

Favorite Fish: : Angels and hopefully soon Discus

PostSubject: Re: help me choose a plant   help me choose a plant Icon_minitime3/6/2011, 9:08 pm

I've got some water wisteria that booms under low light conditions.. Beautiful plant..
Back to top Go down
James0816
Captain
Captain
James0816

Favorite Fish: : Stingrays
Otocinclus Catfish
Kuhli Loaches

PostSubject: Re: help me choose a plant   help me choose a plant Icon_minitime3/7/2011, 8:01 am

Ceratopteris Thalictroides (Water Sprite).

Back to top Go down
tomany
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Favorite Fish: : abn plecos right now. But it changes so much, I see a new fish and want to keep it, too. That's how I got so many tanks. I really want some rams and loaches now.

PostSubject: Re: help me choose a plant   help me choose a plant Icon_minitime3/7/2011, 8:46 am

Wendtii red/green (cryptocoryne)
Vals (vallisneria)
Amazon sword (Echinodorus bleheri)

The swords when they get to big, I just split them into.
Back to top Go down
Holey Rock of Texas
Admin
Admin
Holey Rock of Texas

Favorite Fish: : shellys

PostSubject: Re: help me choose a plant   help me choose a plant Icon_minitime3/7/2011, 1:17 pm

only plants i have really ever had are java fern or java moss lol.
Back to top Go down
williemcd
Major
Major
williemcd

PostSubject: Re: help me choose a plant   help me choose a plant Icon_minitime3/7/2011, 9:42 pm

Amazon Swords.. I'm fairly new at aquaculture so take my advice with a grain of salt... but its working for me.. One tank that is lowlight and course gravel substrate I took my Amazon swords and potted them in potting soil (sterilized in the oven for 30 min @ 190 degrees) then cut a piece of fiberglass screening just a tad larger than the top of the pot.. then cut a key-hole in the screen to facilitate the stem of the plant.... covered it with about 1/2 inch of gravel and had to stand back after only a few days.. .Did throw in a Flourish tab.. Harvesting 3 babies that are sprouting 2 inch roots from one of the leaves after only about 3 weeks.

Tank 2, (50g) I again sterilized about 25 lbs of potting soil and covered with about 30 lbs of swimming pool filter sand.. planted red wendtii crypts, pygmy sag chains, Pontediriifolia and some balansae.. and again a flourish tab.. all showing vigorous growth in the week and a half..
I could be all wrong about my techniques...
Back to top Go down
williemcd
Major
Major
williemcd

PostSubject: Re: help me choose a plant   help me choose a plant Icon_minitime3/7/2011, 9:43 pm

Oh.. the pots are clay pots that I sterilized too..
Back to top Go down
MarkM
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
MarkM

Favorite Fish: : If it swims and has fins and gills, I like it.

PostSubject: Re: help me choose a plant   help me choose a plant Icon_minitime3/7/2011, 10:01 pm

Sunset Hygrophila
Back to top Go down
James0816
Captain
Captain
James0816

Favorite Fish: : Stingrays
Otocinclus Catfish
Kuhli Loaches

PostSubject: Re: help me choose a plant   help me choose a plant Icon_minitime3/8/2011, 7:36 am

MarkM wrote:
Sunset Hygrophila

Nice plant as well. Just be sure to check out your state's banned list first though.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: help me choose a plant   help me choose a plant Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

help me choose a plant
Page 1 of 1