UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.

40 gal tank that im trying to plant ???

Go down 
AuthorMessage
myrnag
Private
Private

Favorite Fish: : Platty and my platty fry!

40 gal tank that im trying to plant ??? Empty
PostSubject: 40 gal tank that im trying to plant ???   40 gal tank that im trying to plant ??? Icon_minitime2/3/2011, 7:03 pm

Ok his is my first time posting, so be easy on me j/k but I do have a lot of questions. I've been googling and searching forums but still unsure if what I think is right.
I have a 40 gallon tank that we bought for my son in October it was packaged with the filter heater and light. I really want it to be a planned tank I have some crypts 1 annubia and 1 amazon sword 3 spike looking plants they are about 2 inches tall, and 1 that is red and green with round leaves about 4 inches tall I don't know there names.
I'm thinking about getting the black Eco green that this really cool fish store suggested but since I want my plants to be really well I'm not sure if that line is ok or if I need sand/clay/potting soil under that.
We went into this blindly so my husband put Mexican river rock at the bottom and that has been great for all my platty fry to survive but I have way to much brown algae and when you look down into the tank you can see all the gross stuff through the rocks.
So my ? are do I need to or should I put something under the Eco green gravel I'm going to buy, and my light which is a single tube that says aqueon 8,000k aquarium lamp 17W T8 24 inch on the bulb and the hood says all glass aquarium 36" fluorescent aquarium reflector 120 volt 20 watt 60 Hz. Oh and is DIY CO2 ok to start with. I want to get this going with minimal start up $ and then slowly invest more into it.
There are 7 platties 6 neon tetras 4 ghost shrimp and 3 bigger fish my husband bought that I don't know what they are they look like platties but have silver bodies with orange tails oh... and about 30 platty fry.
Thank you in advance for any help and my apologies if this was to long of a post!
Back to top Go down
myrnag
Private
Private

PostSubject: Re: 40 gal tank that im trying to plant ???   40 gal tank that im trying to plant ??? Icon_minitime2/3/2011, 7:14 pm

I'm attaching some pics the 3 plants on far right are fake

40 gal tank that im trying to plant ??? Imag0414

[quote]
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 40 gal tank that im trying to plant ???   40 gal tank that im trying to plant ??? Icon_minitime2/3/2011, 7:28 pm

First let me say welcome to the box. Okay to start your light is way too low. You need to get at least 40W (watts of lighting) any over 6500K will work. Seperate some of those rocks so you can get that "gross stuff" out during water changes. Eco-complete works well for plants or try to start with plant tabs in any gravel (I use pea gravel from Lowes)
Back to top Go down
myrnag
Private
Private

PostSubject: Re: 40 gal tank that im trying to plant ???   40 gal tank that im trying to plant ??? Icon_minitime2/3/2011, 7:34 pm

40 gal tank that im trying to plant ??? Imag0418

Oops this wi the one that shows the whole tank...
Back to top Go down
myrnag
Private
Private

PostSubject: Re: 40 gal tank that im trying to plant ???   40 gal tank that im trying to plant ??? Icon_minitime2/3/2011, 7:37 pm

Thanks, now do I have to buy on of those fancy ones from the fish store. I've read that I could just ge t one from a hardware store. And would I need any fertilizer under the pea gravel?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 40 gal tank that im trying to plant ???   40 gal tank that im trying to plant ??? Icon_minitime2/3/2011, 7:44 pm

Yes you can get shop lights from the hardware store, get the 2 bulb fixture and some phillips plant/aquarium bulbs to go with it.
Yes you will want laterite or florite or eco-complete to go under the gravel.

Start slowly pulling out those larger rocks with each water change. You will want to siphon out the gunk as you go.

You can add the new substrate with the fish in the tank just turn the filter off while you do it.
Back to top Go down
myrnag
Private
Private

PostSubject: Re: 40 gal tank that im trying to plant ???   40 gal tank that im trying to plant ??? Icon_minitime2/3/2011, 7:57 pm

I thought that the Eco complete went on top I just want to be sure because I would prefer a white sand on top. So I can put the black Eco complete on the bottom and use that as the "fertilizer" and which ever white sand on top. And of coarse getting better lighting. What about the DIY Co2 any thoughts on that?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 40 gal tank that im trying to plant ???   40 gal tank that im trying to plant ??? Icon_minitime2/3/2011, 8:01 pm

go with the laterite or florite on the bottom, they are cheaper. Top it with the sand and you are good to go!

I don't use co2 on any of my tanks. I use flourish excel from time to time but that is it. A planted tank does not 'need' co2. That is mainly for the higher light and fancier plants
Back to top Go down
myrnag
Private
Private

PostSubject: Re: 40 gal tank that im trying to plant ???   40 gal tank that im trying to plant ??? Icon_minitime2/3/2011, 8:05 pm

Ok one last question if I buy the literate or florite then would I need to take everything out of the tank or what would you suggest. And thanks for all the info you guys are great!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 40 gal tank that im trying to plant ???   40 gal tank that im trying to plant ??? Icon_minitime2/3/2011, 8:10 pm

yes removing all of the decor would be easiest. you will want a good inch of sand over it.
So take out all of the decor and take your water level down a bit. Put in your well rinsed laterite and/or florite and top it with well rinsed sand, all while your filter is off. Put the decor back in the tank and turn the filter back on.
Your tank will be cloudy for a day or 2.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 40 gal tank that im trying to plant ???   40 gal tank that im trying to plant ??? Icon_minitime2/3/2011, 8:12 pm

before turning on the filter i would let it settle for at least 45 min after putting in the decorations.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 40 gal tank that im trying to plant ???   40 gal tank that im trying to plant ??? Icon_minitime2/3/2011, 8:20 pm

Welcome to the BOX and the tank looks great, getting great info as well!
Back to top Go down
myrnag
Private
Private

PostSubject: Re: 40 gal tank that im trying to plant ???   40 gal tank that im trying to plant ??? Icon_minitime2/4/2011, 10:28 am

Ok great for the extra tip Fish Vixen and thank you BornofFire. there's a lit it great info and helpful people on here. And of course thanks again Fern.
Back to top Go down
myrnag
Private
Private

PostSubject: Re: 40 gal tank that im trying to plant ???   40 gal tank that im trying to plant ??? Icon_minitime2/4/2011, 10:42 am

BTW I'm going to go get a new light and I'm going to go for what was suggested and sounds to be what will save me some $ by getting some of the larite or florite and put some white sand on top which is what I wanted, I really didn't want a black substrate I want the sand to make the plants stand out more. Can't wait to get this project started at least by doing this I will feel like I'm going in the right direction.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 40 gal tank that im trying to plant ???   40 gal tank that im trying to plant ??? Icon_minitime2/5/2011, 8:39 am

See if your home depot or lowes carry's 'crystal sands' it is a silica pool filter sand. It is white, larger grained and very very cheap! I use it in all of my tanks. It comes in the 50lb bag for along $5 here. Just rinse it very well to get the fine dust out.
Back to top Go down
myrnag
Private
Private

PostSubject: Re: 40 gal tank that im trying to plant ???   40 gal tank that im trying to plant ??? Icon_minitime2/5/2011, 8:03 pm

Went to OSH today its like a smaller home depot and saw the GE brand aquarium light. I would have to get a hood that can hold 2 bulbs but my question is if that's a good enough one to go with?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 40 gal tank that im trying to plant ???   40 gal tank that im trying to plant ??? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

40 gal tank that im trying to plant ???
Page 1 of 1