UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

Aquatic Silicon

Go down 
+2
Elrollo
Keelo
6 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Keelo
Major
Major
Keelo

Favorite Fish: : Mollys, BN plec, and Thoracochromis brauschi

Aquatic Silicon  Empty
PostSubject: Aquatic Silicon    Aquatic Silicon  Icon_minitime1/15/2011, 11:43 pm

found this threw a show guppy website they had a top bar link to it.... sounds interesting but there is no way to actually buy it? i guess you have to e-mail or call whick kinda makes me uneasy about it. What do you guys think?

http://www.fullredguppy.com/silicone.html

Back to top Go down
Elrollo
Major
Major
Elrollo

Favorite Fish: : Blue Acaras...first fish I ever breed still have a soft spot for them

Aquatic Silicon  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aquatic Silicon    Aquatic Silicon  Icon_minitime1/15/2011, 11:46 pm

check out dap 100% silicon a little more expensive than GE1 but comes in big tubes and is safe for aquariums...says it right on the label. I called customer service just to make absolutley positive it is good for fish tanks and the answer was yes...they recommend an additional 24-48 hours of curing than that of average household usage. Only place I have found it is at ACE hardware
Back to top Go down
Keelo
Major
Major
Keelo

Aquatic Silicon  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aquatic Silicon    Aquatic Silicon  Icon_minitime1/15/2011, 11:52 pm

Cool! i dont need a big tube though though maybe a big tube would be helpfull for others i have a very small shatter spot in my tank but maybe i will buy a bigger tube and then i wont have to worry about silicon for probably the rest of my life.
Back to top Go down
Elrollo
Major
Major
Elrollo

Favorite Fish: : Blue Acaras...first fish I ever breed still have a soft spot for them

Aquatic Silicon  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aquatic Silicon    Aquatic Silicon  Icon_minitime1/15/2011, 11:53 pm

Silcon tubes go bad in about 1 year after they are opened ...with a cap on they still seem to harden...they also sell the smaller 4oz tubes like you see at the LFS
Back to top Go down
Holey Rock of Texas
Admin
Admin
Holey Rock of Texas

Favorite Fish: : shellys

Aquatic Silicon  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aquatic Silicon    Aquatic Silicon  Icon_minitime1/16/2011, 12:00 am

just use GE1. it is 100% silisone and half the cost. do not get the one with bioseal in it tho.
Back to top Go down

Aquatic Silicon  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aquatic Silicon    Aquatic Silicon  Icon_minitime1/16/2011, 8:07 am

Remember also shatters well spread and they weaken the glass so you can have a blow out ( that side of the aquarium will burst and the whole inside will be all over the floor) I recommend replacing the glass.
Back to top Go down
Holey Rock of Texas
Admin
Admin
Holey Rock of Texas

Aquatic Silicon  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aquatic Silicon    Aquatic Silicon  Icon_minitime1/16/2011, 9:19 am

good catch vixen. i would not even chance it if it has shatter spots!!!
Back to top Go down

Aquatic Silicon  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aquatic Silicon    Aquatic Silicon  Icon_minitime1/16/2011, 9:26 am

Some spots like that are ok..... can you get a good pic of it?

75% of my tanks have dings in the corners, it all depends on placement and severity.

I 2nd the GE I window and door, its what I use.
I put a tight fitting screw in the opening and that makes for an excellent seal and it will last much longer.
Back to top Go down
Keelo
Major
Major
Keelo

Aquatic Silicon  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aquatic Silicon    Aquatic Silicon  Icon_minitime1/16/2011, 10:07 am

yeah the shatter is pretty small in length and about halfway thre the glass on depth its on a corner. I think it will be fine if i cake on the silicon and be gentle with it aka no banging on the glass if i get excited lol!
Back to top Go down

Aquatic Silicon  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aquatic Silicon    Aquatic Silicon  Icon_minitime1/16/2011, 10:12 am

hope it's not a bottom corner. It's the pressure from water that makes the m continue to spread. Just watch it closely take this from some who had a bedroom full of water.
Back to top Go down
Keelo
Major
Major
Keelo

Aquatic Silicon  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aquatic Silicon    Aquatic Silicon  Icon_minitime1/16/2011, 10:47 am

Hey ive had alot of the same advice already:) i think it should be fine and i will watch it close. Its not a bottom corner, what i ment by corner was where teh glass meets its about mid tank i bought it like this but petco told me that they wont take it back if its been "used". I didnt realie the crack at first or i wouldnt have bought it. Even if they would take it back i dont know where i could store my gravel plants and fish so im chancing it and going to cake on that silicon :)
Back to top Go down
MarkM
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
MarkM

Favorite Fish: : If it swims and has fins and gills, I like it.

Aquatic Silicon  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aquatic Silicon    Aquatic Silicon  Icon_minitime1/16/2011, 12:51 pm

What size tank is it? I myself wouldn't chance it if it is indeed shattered. I have alot of tanks that are chipped with no issues. Better to be safe than sorry.
Back to top Go down
wblueus
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Favorite Fish: : cichlids

Aquatic Silicon  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aquatic Silicon    Aquatic Silicon  Icon_minitime1/16/2011, 1:36 pm

one word solves all this> Acrylic <
Back to top Go down
Keelo
Major
Major
Keelo

Aquatic Silicon  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aquatic Silicon    Aquatic Silicon  Icon_minitime1/16/2011, 2:10 pm

acrylic is safe? i wasnt sure i can get some free from my husbands work.

Edit: husbands not home to talk to him about it but just wandering will i need to remove the fish and water before filling it in with acrylic?
Back to top Go down

Aquatic Silicon  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aquatic Silicon    Aquatic Silicon  Icon_minitime1/16/2011, 2:33 pm

be careful with acrylic be sure they is no additives. You're going to have to lower your water level at least 4" below where you are going to seal and not get any product in the water.
Back to top Go down
Holey Rock of Texas
Admin
Admin
Holey Rock of Texas

Aquatic Silicon  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aquatic Silicon    Aquatic Silicon  Icon_minitime1/16/2011, 2:47 pm

acrylic will not bond with the use of silicone tho.
Back to top Go down
wblueus
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Favorite Fish: : cichlids

Aquatic Silicon  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aquatic Silicon    Aquatic Silicon  Icon_minitime1/16/2011, 4:17 pm

LOL no no people lol i meant forget glass aquariums and go with acrylic aquariums LOL
Back to top Go down

Aquatic Silicon  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aquatic Silicon    Aquatic Silicon  Icon_minitime1/16/2011, 5:00 pm

Again, can you take a pic of it? A pic is worth a thousand words.
Heck both of my 90g have a chip but there is a limit on what is usable and what is not.
I also have a cracked 10g in use but it is the very top corner so I just don't fill it all the way. But we wont know if yours is usable or not without a pic of it.
Back to top Go down
Keelo
Major
Major
Keelo

Aquatic Silicon  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aquatic Silicon    Aquatic Silicon  Icon_minitime1/16/2011, 5:07 pm

Ill take pics after the baby goes to sleep. Shes 15 months and thinks she should have the rights to play with everything and if she cant she throws a fit :P would rather just avoid the fit today and just wait till shes in bed. you can kinda see it in my other pics ive posted on the show and tell its on the left corner side a little below mid tank you can kinda see the indention. Ill take a close up for sure though!
Back to top Go down

Aquatic Silicon  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aquatic Silicon    Aquatic Silicon  Icon_minitime1/16/2011, 5:15 pm

Oh yes then defiantly wait!!!

But ya a close up of it from both sides would help a bunch. If it is a minor one just globing some silicone on it is what I have done with many of mine, adds some structure and covers the sharp edge.
Back to top Go down
Keelo
Major
Major
Keelo

Aquatic Silicon  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aquatic Silicon    Aquatic Silicon  Icon_minitime1/16/2011, 5:25 pm

I think it looks worst than what it is becuase the shattered glass is stuck to the silicon and it jsut looks bad but you can see its only half way threw the thickness of where the glass meets and its not very big maybe as long as the tip of your finger to the first joint :) im pretty confident its fine unless i feel liek it would have shattered already becuase when i first set it up and before i realized it was like this my daughter was banging stuff against it like her sippy cup and her small blocks.
Back to top Go down
Keelo
Major
Major
Keelo

Aquatic Silicon  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aquatic Silicon    Aquatic Silicon  Icon_minitime1/16/2011, 7:20 pm

so heres a pic i couldnt get a good angle becuase my dad bought me a 1600 camera that i cant figure out how to use so i cant turn the flash off. This pic makes it look horribly bad and the lighting i think makes it look longer than it really is but here you go this iwas the best i could get out of liek 50 lmao!

Aquatic Silicon  163196_479024327819_674482819_6489383_3653245_n

The lighting even made my table look worst than it is! lmao
Back to top Go down

Aquatic Silicon  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aquatic Silicon    Aquatic Silicon  Icon_minitime1/17/2011, 7:57 am

Just glob some silicone on it, you are fine!
Back to top Go down

Aquatic Silicon  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aquatic Silicon    Aquatic Silicon  Icon_minitime1/17/2011, 8:21 am

okay a chip not a shatter. Silicone will be fine.
Back to top Go down
istrober
istrober

Favorite Fish: : Africans, Peacocks, Catfish.. pertty much everything that has fins and tail...

Aquatic Silicon  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aquatic Silicon    Aquatic Silicon  Icon_minitime1/17/2011, 8:39 am

GE water proof silcone from Walmart!! <====Fern's idea lol! Aquatic Silicon  393849
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Aquatic Silicon  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aquatic Silicon    Aquatic Silicon  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Aquatic Silicon
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next