UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

Do you "fast" your aquatic friends??

Go down 
+14
mcsnapper1
Ben
KingBichir
wildbeanerz
ornate12
cwhip
lifeisgood
Dabula
Dan W.
Holey Rock of Texas
J*Hawk*83
CajunGator
KMX
flukekiller
18 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Do you "fast" your fish?
1. no never
Do you "fast" your aquatic friends?? Vote_lcap16%Do you "fast" your aquatic friends?? Vote_rcap
 16% [ 3 ]
2. occasionally
Do you "fast" your aquatic friends?? Vote_lcap79%Do you "fast" your aquatic friends?? Vote_rcap
 79% [ 15 ]
3. once a month
Do you "fast" your aquatic friends?? Vote_lcap5%Do you "fast" your aquatic friends?? Vote_rcap
 5% [ 1 ]
4. 2-3 times a year
Do you "fast" your aquatic friends?? Vote_lcap0%Do you "fast" your aquatic friends?? Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 19

AuthorMessage
flukekiller
Private First Class
Private First Class

Favorite Fish: : Discus

Do you "fast" your aquatic friends?? Empty
PostSubject: Do you "fast" your aquatic friends??   Do you "fast" your aquatic friends?? Icon_minitime6/9/2011, 11:09 am

i was just wondering if anyone goes without feeding there fish for a day or 2.
what are your reasons for doing or not doing this?

i usually do it for a day to 2 days max for about every 2-3 weeks

i do this for 3 reasons . one is to let the fish naturally clean themselves out
and also it helps the fish "hunt" for any food that that is left in the tank that has
fallen in between rock crevices and such. plus it helps to get any food that might
be missed during water changes out to less foul up the water...

what are your thoughts?
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

Favorite Fish: : African Cichlids of all kinds.

PostSubject: Re: Do you "fast" your aquatic friends??   Do you "fast" your aquatic friends?? Icon_minitime6/9/2011, 11:16 am

I feed all my fish heavy once a day. The day before I do water changes I fast. No feeding. So one day out of the week I do not feed.

My fry that are about 1" and under I feed 2xs a day.
Back to top Go down
CajunGator
CajunGator

Favorite Fish: : Cichlids, WC Syn Petricola, Shellies, Festae, Mbu Puffers, Koi Angels, ABN, Piranha, Mermaids

PostSubject: Re: Do you "fast" your aquatic friends??   Do you "fast" your aquatic friends?? Icon_minitime6/9/2011, 11:49 am

i feed same way as KMX and fasting that one day before my water changes... if i am able to schedule them and not do WC spur of the minute, lol

but, my fry i power feed my fry.... i feed four time a day and vacuum excess every evening ensuring all fry get fed good each and every day. but it helps to be home most of the day, LOL..

Back to top Go down
J*Hawk*83
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
J*Hawk*83

Favorite Fish: : Venestus
Trigger
Lionfish
Wrasse

PostSubject: Re: Do you "fast" your aquatic friends??   Do you "fast" your aquatic friends?? Icon_minitime6/9/2011, 11:56 am

I feed mine a minimum of 2x's per day, sw and fw, but for a logical reason. I have a heavy stocked and high aggression prone tank mates, so I try to keep them fat and happy.

Last edited by J*Hawk*83 on 6/9/2011, 12:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Holey Rock of Texas
Admin
Admin
Holey Rock of Texas

Favorite Fish: : shellys

PostSubject: Re: Do you "fast" your aquatic friends??   Do you "fast" your aquatic friends?? Icon_minitime6/9/2011, 12:37 pm

i feed my fry 1-2 sometimes 3 times a day when im at home but i do nto worry abotu going on vacation. i just started to cut my adults back and they are now getting fed every other day and only a little bit as i felt its cheaper, cut back on cleanings, and the fish were getting fat. when they get fat they get lazy and sometime stop breeding or have reduced loads.
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

Favorite Fish: : African Cichlids of all kinds.

PostSubject: Re: Do you "fast" your aquatic friends??   Do you "fast" your aquatic friends?? Icon_minitime6/9/2011, 1:00 pm

I agree a heavy amount of feeding IMO slows breeding.
Back to top Go down
Holey Rock of Texas
Admin
Admin
Holey Rock of Texas

Favorite Fish: : shellys

PostSubject: Re: Do you "fast" your aquatic friends??   Do you "fast" your aquatic friends?? Icon_minitime6/9/2011, 1:02 pm

since i cut back my fish have gone crazy breeding. however this could be linked to the time of year as well lol. as i just recently cut back lol.
Back to top Go down
Dan W.
Sergeant
Sergeant

Favorite Fish: : To many to list but mostly Cichlids

PostSubject: Re: Do you "fast" your aquatic friends??   Do you "fast" your aquatic friends?? Icon_minitime6/9/2011, 4:22 pm

I actually fast mine once a week. Almost all of us have a tendency to over feed so the fasting just helps keep them healthy. Also try to use the 20 - 30 second rule when feeding, not 1 or 2 minutes. What you can feed a fish in 2 minutes is a lot more than they would get in the wild all day. Hey I'am getting hungry time for a snack!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Dabula
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Dabula

Favorite Fish: : Any and All Peacock Cichlids

PostSubject: Re: Do you "fast" your aquatic friends??   Do you "fast" your aquatic friends?? Icon_minitime6/10/2011, 12:47 am

I keep cichlids, peacocks mostly... IMHO you have to look closely at each fish... From top to bottom. I look for a flat clean line from front to back. Any bulging or concaving of the stomach means an adjustment. Some larger fish I feed regularly every other day, happy as clams, smaller/younger fish I feed everyday and cut back or skip a day if they have full semi bulging tummies. I don't have a set schedule, but try to observe and gauge feeding on the fish. My Kenyi always seem to eat mote than the peacocks I keep together and so the kenyis typically have a nice beer belly look, but they do seem less aggressive and less prolific... I only over feed growouts, keeping a full belly under 1" is must if you want the highest survival rate early on. Fasting can't hurt as long as no fish is ever starving. Bottom dwellers and least dominant fish will show the first signs of malnutrition on my experience. As noted above fasting to spawn does seem to work and always a good idea the day before a water change. I have also noticed adding 10% of cooler water at night can spark a spawn, but that may be a superstition. Doesn't always work, but the females have to be prepared regardless. Hope all this helps a little.

Last edited by Dabula on 6/10/2011, 1:59 am; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : Misspelled some shizz)
Back to top Go down
lifeisgood
Captain
Captain
lifeisgood

Favorite Fish: : My Favorites are the Pleco's and Cory Cats . BUT , I have 44 running Tanks at this time . I keep 3 kinds of Shellies , several types of Pleco's ( mostly Ancistrus ), Cichlids , Crays , Angels , LB's , and some local species .

PostSubject: Re: Do you "fast" your aquatic friends??   Do you "fast" your aquatic friends?? Icon_minitime6/10/2011, 5:30 am

My "adult" tanks get light feedings every other day . My Fry and grow out tanks get 1 or 2 times a day feedings , depending on size of said fry and juvies.
Back to top Go down
cwhip
cwhip

Favorite Fish: : Maroon clownfish,Tangs,bluespot jaw fish,Bangaii,Mandarins etc.......I love all fish really.

PostSubject: Re: Do you "fast" your aquatic friends??   Do you "fast" your aquatic friends?? Icon_minitime6/10/2011, 6:28 am

every 7-10 days I fast for a day then blackout the tank for 1-2 days.
Back to top Go down
ornate12
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
ornate12

Favorite Fish: : Ornate Bichirs, Synodontis Angelicus, Filamentosus barb,
Aristochromis Christyi, Ptychochromis Grandidieri and all other Madagascar cichlids.

PostSubject: Re: Do you "fast" your aquatic friends??   Do you "fast" your aquatic friends?? Icon_minitime6/10/2011, 8:23 am

I feed several times daily. If out of town the fish do not eat!

Back to top Go down
flukekiller
Private First Class
Private First Class

Favorite Fish: : Discus

PostSubject: Re: Do you "fast" your aquatic friends??   Do you "fast" your aquatic friends?? Icon_minitime6/10/2011, 8:31 am

why do you "blackout"? i have never heard of this unless introducing new fish?
Back to top Go down
cwhip
cwhip

Favorite Fish: : Maroon clownfish,Tangs,bluespot jaw fish,Bangaii,Mandarins etc.......I love all fish really.

PostSubject: Re: Do you "fast" your aquatic friends??   Do you "fast" your aquatic friends?? Icon_minitime6/10/2011, 9:02 am

flukekiller wrote:
why do you "blackout"? i have never heard of this unless introducing new fish?

I do it when I acclimate too, this all started with an experiment to see what kind of growth I could get, I noticed most of the growth occurs at night so I started letting the tank go black a day or two a couple of times a month and my coral growth especially my SPS is outstanding. basically they absorb the light"energy" during the day and spend the dark hours growing. I even stopped using moon lights a couple of months ago and I have seen the growth rate of all the corals explode. I think that in nature there's cloudy dark days so why would it be any different in my tank. it also helps deter nuisance algae growth.
Back to top Go down
wildbeanerz
Captain
Captain
wildbeanerz

Favorite Fish: : Love my black ocellaris!

PostSubject: Re: Do you "fast" your aquatic friends??   Do you "fast" your aquatic friends?? Icon_minitime6/10/2011, 10:12 am

I feed my fish about every two days. There are only two of them in there. I don't like to overfeed and cause algae growth.

Cindy...when you blackout are you talking just lights out or do you cover the glass?
Back to top Go down
cwhip
cwhip

PostSubject: Re: Do you "fast" your aquatic friends??   Do you "fast" your aquatic friends?? Icon_minitime6/10/2011, 10:58 am

wildbeanerz wrote:
I feed my fish about every two days. There are only two of them in there. I don't like to overfeed and cause algae growth.

Cindy...when you blackout are you talking just lights out or do you cover the glass?

just shut the lights off no MH, T5, Led or moon lights. I don't cover the tank because I still want good gas exchange.
Back to top Go down
KingBichir
Admin
Admin
KingBichir

Favorite Fish: : all of them

PostSubject: Re: Do you "fast" your aquatic friends??   Do you "fast" your aquatic friends?? Icon_minitime6/10/2011, 11:31 am

I usually feed my fish 3 times a day, I fast them one day out of the weekend.
Back to top Go down
Ben
Ben

Favorite Fish: : Venustus and Catfish

PostSubject: Re: Do you "fast" your aquatic friends??   Do you "fast" your aquatic friends?? Icon_minitime6/10/2011, 4:34 pm

I fast them on days I end up out of town or days I don't make it back home from work.
Back to top Go down
mcsnapper1
Private
Private
mcsnapper1

Favorite Fish: : New world American cichlids

PostSubject: Re: Do you "fast" your aquatic friends??   Do you "fast" your aquatic friends?? Icon_minitime7/7/2011, 11:03 pm

I feed every other day. I used to feed daily, but since I cut back, my Nitrates have dropped significantly. I didn't think I was overfeeding, but I guess I was. I do fast my fish when the power goes out to lighten the bio load when the filters can't run.
Back to top Go down
Flippercon
Flippercon

Favorite Fish: : Electric Blue Rocio Octofasciata

PostSubject: Re: Do you "fast" your aquatic friends??   Do you "fast" your aquatic friends?? Icon_minitime7/8/2011, 6:25 am

I fast my mature fish and juvies get fed daily three times a day in very small amounts (growth). I do fast fish when having to move tanks or upgrading. every so often I do fast just watch the diffrence in activity. Cichlids go 3 weeks wuth out eating in the wild so fasting is a natural part of thier lives (not by choice).
Back to top Go down
CSnyder00
CSnyder00

Favorite Fish: : Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba, Ocellatus, Any bright-colored freshwater cichlid

PostSubject: Re: Do you "fast" your aquatic friends??   Do you "fast" your aquatic friends?? Icon_minitime7/10/2011, 7:24 am

Feed once a day. Will fast for 1-2 days twice a month. Sometimes I will fast for longer and then hit them with a high protein diet and a water change. This will usually spark breeding for me.
Back to top Go down
tbarnwell
Sergeant
Sergeant
tbarnwell

Favorite Fish: : Angels, Show guppies, Red Zebra Mbunas
Jack Dempsey's

PostSubject: Re: Do you "fast" your aquatic friends??   Do you "fast" your aquatic friends?? Icon_minitime7/10/2011, 8:56 am

Wow I learn something new everyday. Question for those that have freshwater I have red zebras angels and jack dempseys right now do you recommend that I do that with my tanks. I feed them twice most days and once other days. I forbid anyone else from feeding any of them because they keep feeding to much. The small fry I feed 3 times a day.
Back to top Go down
Flippercon
Flippercon

Favorite Fish: : Electric Blue Rocio Octofasciata

PostSubject: Re: Do you "fast" your aquatic friends??   Do you "fast" your aquatic friends?? Icon_minitime7/10/2011, 9:40 am

Your fry need to be fed as much as possible but in tiny bits. If you feed them smaller amount more frequently they will be much happier. I have heard of people fasting mature fish and they claim the colors come out a whole lot more when feeding every other day. I have not tried this but I should.
Back to top Go down
Shaysfishys
Captain
Captain
Shaysfishys

Favorite Fish: : Just about all of them!!

PostSubject: Re: Do you "fast" your aquatic friends??   Do you "fast" your aquatic friends?? Icon_minitime7/10/2011, 10:52 am

Everyone gets fed most days 3 times fry more, when I'm swamped with stuff to do sometimes the adults only get fed twice a day.

Now they do get fasted on occassion when I've got fish to ship and they are in various tanks, feel bad feeding neighboring tanks so they all just get fasted for 18 hours or so exception the nursery tanks
Back to top Go down
CSnyder00
CSnyder00

Favorite Fish: : Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba, Ocellatus, Any bright-colored freshwater cichlid

PostSubject: Re: Do you "fast" your aquatic friends??   Do you "fast" your aquatic friends?? Icon_minitime7/10/2011, 11:43 am

tbarnwell, your answer is yes. Bigger fish especially I feel need that fast once and a while. It aids in digestion and gives them more of a natural feel. They weren't hand fed food in the wild everyday twice a day, so why do that forever? Give them a day or two break once and a while.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Do you "fast" your aquatic friends??   Do you "fast" your aquatic friends?? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Do you "fast" your aquatic friends??
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next