UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

Cichlid 101

Go down 
+2
Shaysfishys
Rachael0805
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Rachael0805
Captain
Captain
Rachael0805

Favorite Fish: : Red Devil, Red Terror, Green Terror...

Cichlid 101 Empty
PostSubject: Cichlid 101   Cichlid 101 Icon_minitime1/14/2011, 9:12 pm

Hey all I need a favor. I need to put together a kind of Cichlid 101 for my in laws. They just got a new tank and they are learning some things the hard way. What tips, tricks, dos, donts, info can you think of that first time fish owners need to know?
Back to top Go down

Cichlid 101 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cichlid 101   Cichlid 101 Icon_minitime1/14/2011, 9:14 pm

What type of Cichlid?
Back to top Go down
Shaysfishys
Captain
Captain
Shaysfishys

Favorite Fish: : Just about all of them!!

Cichlid 101 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cichlid 101   Cichlid 101 Icon_minitime1/14/2011, 9:15 pm

What kind of cichlids? That will help for answering since they come from a wide variety of waters, temperments, etc.....
Back to top Go down
Rachael0805
Captain
Captain
Rachael0805

Cichlid 101 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cichlid 101   Cichlid 101 Icon_minitime1/14/2011, 9:15 pm

American cichlids
Back to top Go down
CSnyder00
CSnyder00

Favorite Fish: : Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba, Ocellatus, Any bright-colored freshwater cichlid

Cichlid 101 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cichlid 101   Cichlid 101 Icon_minitime1/14/2011, 9:18 pm

Plan for them to be MORE aggressive than they state. African cichlids should have a veggie rich diet. American cichlids should have a more meaty diet. ph of Africans is generally more basic (7.0-8.2), where Americans are more neutral (6.5-7.5). Males only with Africans unless you do a species tank. 1 Male per tank with Americans. They all get big and like to arrange the tank the way they want it. I'm sure more will come, but some of the basics.
Back to top Go down

Cichlid 101 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cichlid 101   Cichlid 101 Icon_minitime1/14/2011, 9:19 pm

Most american cichlids like lower PH and usually do well in a planted tank. Most like higher temps also. They do not like to be overstocked. This is just a few basics on SA cichlids. Now if your talking oscars and jacks no plants and just throw the tank together as it will be redecorated.

Last edited by FishVixen on 1/14/2011, 9:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
CSnyder00
CSnyder00

Favorite Fish: : Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba, Ocellatus, Any bright-colored freshwater cichlid

Cichlid 101 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cichlid 101   Cichlid 101 Icon_minitime1/14/2011, 9:20 pm

Temps for Africans 78-82. Americans 74-80.
Back to top Go down

Cichlid 101 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cichlid 101   Cichlid 101 Icon_minitime1/14/2011, 9:25 pm

Angels ,discus like 80 up to 86 for discus
Back to top Go down
Rachael0805
Captain
Captain
Rachael0805

Cichlid 101 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cichlid 101   Cichlid 101 Icon_minitime1/14/2011, 9:28 pm

They have 6 cichlids in an 18g some oscars, a red devil and some other ones that they dont remember the name of lol, if they lived closer I would go check out what they have but some are attacking others and the size of the tank and # of fish is obviously an issue.
Back to top Go down
CSnyder00
CSnyder00

Cichlid 101 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cichlid 101   Cichlid 101 Icon_minitime1/14/2011, 9:29 pm

A single Oscar needs a 55-75 gallon tank. Red Devils are much the same. They really need to cut the number of fish in the tank FAST! or they will all die but 1.
Back to top Go down
CSnyder00
CSnyder00

Cichlid 101 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cichlid 101   Cichlid 101 Icon_minitime1/14/2011, 9:29 pm

The Red Devil will most likely kill everything.
Back to top Go down

Cichlid 101 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cichlid 101   Cichlid 101 Icon_minitime1/14/2011, 9:38 pm

1 oscar will get the size of the tank and not be able to turn around. lol! CS is correct they need to be moved quick.
Back to top Go down
keeperofkillers
Private
Private
keeperofkillers

Favorite Fish: : trimac,dovii,and jags

Cichlid 101 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cichlid 101   Cichlid 101 Icon_minitime1/16/2011, 7:24 pm

the bigger they all get them more they will fight....i tried to keep my dovii with other fish....all i ended with was very exspensive yummys for him
Back to top Go down
Elrollo
Major
Major
Elrollo

Favorite Fish: : Blue Acaras...first fish I ever breed still have a soft spot for them

Cichlid 101 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cichlid 101   Cichlid 101 Icon_minitime1/17/2011, 2:22 am

Unfortunatley this is what happens to many larger fish...they look so cute and the fit into a 10 gallon aquarium...well 3 months later they are all but dead and the face touches the front and their butts brush the back of the tanks.

Try to talk them into Rams or Blue Acaras both can go in that size tank both can pair up show the cichlid characteristics that make them so loved by many of us, and they stay relatively small.

If they absolutley want the larger fish take them to see some adults and what they look like and what they are housed in.

That being said many fish stores push feeders for larger cichlids...I would avoid feeders besides really make the tank dirty they also are carriers for fish disease. Try to get the fish on pellets most inexpensive way to feed big fish. Good luck
Back to top Go down
CSnyder00
CSnyder00

Cichlid 101 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cichlid 101   Cichlid 101 Icon_minitime1/17/2011, 5:18 am

Also, feeders do not give a ton of nutrition needed for the bigger cichlids, which will sometimes result in Hole in the Head. Not good.
Back to top Go down
keeperofkillers
Private
Private
keeperofkillers

Favorite Fish: : trimac,dovii,and jags

Cichlid 101 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cichlid 101   Cichlid 101 Icon_minitime1/17/2011, 8:44 pm

depends on the breed of fish for hole in the head......my male downs 80 feeders a week
Back to top Go down
steeleman1114
Private
Private
steeleman1114

Favorite Fish: : Convicts, Leopard Ctenopoma, African Butterflies.

Cichlid 101 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cichlid 101   Cichlid 101 Icon_minitime1/17/2011, 10:05 pm

You also have to watch what kind of feeders you use. Feeding goldfish to tropical cichlids will often result in fatty liver disease. Goldfish are coldwater fish and because of this tropical fish like cichlids can't digest the fat in goldfish which builds up in the liver. I would also avoid using feeders unless you breed them yourself and they are tropical. Platies make great cichlid feeders. Breeding them yourself insures that they are healthy/not carrying any diseases.
Back to top Go down

Cichlid 101 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cichlid 101   Cichlid 101 Icon_minitime1/17/2011, 10:17 pm

and you can feed the feeder to the specifics of what your feeding feeder to. Boy that don't sound right! hope you understand. IE: feeding platies high protein because your oscar (which will eat the platies) needs more protein.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Cichlid 101 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cichlid 101   Cichlid 101 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Cichlid 101
Page 1 of 1