UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.

light for 29 gallon

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
strawman1985
strawman1985

Favorite Fish: : Jack Dempsey...Red Tail Shark... Severum... Raphael Cat...Cardinals...Cory's... Hy511's There are many more as well

light for 29 gallon Empty
PostSubject: light for 29 gallon   light for 29 gallon Icon_minitime1/8/2011, 4:22 pm

My 29 gallon light fixture has just about bit the dust. Im wanting to something neat but not too expensive and have considered going with something other than the normal aquarium light but ive always been afraid of fish jumping out. Any thoughts or ideas?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: light for 29 gallon   light for 29 gallon Icon_minitime1/8/2011, 6:55 pm

You can use glass, acrylic or light grating to cover the tank and be creative with your lighting. I use clip on lamps and track lighting ($2 at the thrift store) and use screw in CFB from Wal Mart.
Back to top Go down
Elrollo
Major
Major
Elrollo

Favorite Fish: : Blue Acaras...first fish I ever breed still have a soft spot for them

PostSubject: Re: light for 29 gallon   light for 29 gallon Icon_minitime1/9/2011, 1:14 am

Do you want just light to show fish off or do you want light to grow plants?
I have seen some very nice pendant lights at home depot that you can put screw in flouro into and do both. With flouro now a days almost any lighting will work...if you are worried about fish jumping try growing some floating plants..I have danios in an open topped 55 have not lost one...duck weed is usually free and grows very quickly(too quickly sometimes) and will help filter your water .
Back to top Go down
lifeisgood
Captain
Captain
lifeisgood

Favorite Fish: : My Favorites are the Pleco's and Cory Cats . BUT , I have 44 running Tanks at this time . I keep 3 kinds of Shellies , several types of Pleco's ( mostly Ancistrus ), Cichlids , Crays , Angels , LB's , and some local species .

PostSubject: Re: light for 29 gallon   light for 29 gallon Icon_minitime1/9/2011, 6:21 am

I agree with Elrollo , Duck weed usually is free at a LFS and grows quickly. It is a great Nitrate filter , and small Fry Love it !
Back to top Go down
Elrollo
Major
Major
Elrollo

Favorite Fish: : Blue Acaras...first fish I ever breed still have a soft spot for them

PostSubject: Re: light for 29 gallon   light for 29 gallon Icon_minitime1/9/2011, 8:32 am

actually depending where Thomasville is at you could run up to Va and get plenty of top water plants I have enough salvinia to do ...o maybe 5-29 gallon tanks lol
Back to top Go down
2SciCrazed
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
2SciCrazed

Favorite Fish: : Anything that's not belly up!

PostSubject: Re: light for 29 gallon   light for 29 gallon Icon_minitime1/9/2011, 10:37 am

I use plexiglass over all of my school tanks. Cheap and easily cleaned. Even keeps crayfish and bichirs in - not to mention bass and minnows. Just cut a slit in one corner or a hole - for feed time.

Over the top - I purchase these portable kitchen/bath fluorescent light strips from Walmart. They're $7 each. You can replace bulb with any 24" aquarium bulb of your liking. They also have grow light strips of the same length. The nice things about these is that you can lay them right on top of the plexiglass because they are designed not to get hot - or - you can install them above the tank. (If you lay them down on the plexiglass - they help hold it down against jumpers/climbers)

For my 29T planted tank - I actually use the top light strip unit from the original hood with a 'daylight' bulb + a walmart growlight strip right behind it. The duckweed and other plants have gone NUTS in just the last 10 days since I moved them in there!
Back to top Go down
strawman1985
strawman1985

Favorite Fish: : Jack Dempsey...Red Tail Shark... Severum... Raphael Cat...Cardinals...Cory's... Hy511's There are many more as well

PostSubject: Re: light for 29 gallon   light for 29 gallon Icon_minitime1/9/2011, 4:12 pm

thanlks for all the advice everyone
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: light for 29 gallon   light for 29 gallon Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

light for 29 gallon
Page 1 of 1