UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

any ideas what these might be?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
bcijoe
Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1
bcijoe

Favorite Fish: : Betta, Pacu, Clown Loach, Alfbn Pleco, Yellow Fin Barb (Lemon Barb), White Fin Rosy Tetra, Congo Tetra, more

any ideas what these might be? Empty
PostSubject: any ideas what these might be?   any ideas what these might be? Icon_minitime10/27/2010, 9:59 pm

Caught these in local canals in swfl...

first this loach looking think...
any ideas what these might be? IMG_0068

then these, probably baby tilapia...
any ideas what these might be? IMG_1244

then these which almost look like white clouds, or even small pink tailed/golden sharks, but they seem to max out at about 1 1/2"...
any ideas what these might be? IMG_9853
any ideas what these might be? IMG_9850

then there's a bunch of wild fish in these... probably 5 different kinds... wild mollies, gambusia/mosquito fish, some type of killi, tilapia I think, and what else? almost looks like a tiger platy or something... ???
any ideas what these might be? IMG_0927
any ideas what these might be? IMG_0930
any ideas what these might be? IMG_0941
any ideas what these might be? IMG_0944

I've also caught and raised Mayan Cichlid fry plenty of times... fun, very hardy, and tasty too!

Back to top Go down
bcijoe
Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1
bcijoe

Favorite Fish: : Betta, Pacu, Clown Loach, Alfbn Pleco, Yellow Fin Barb (Lemon Barb), White Fin Rosy Tetra, Congo Tetra, more

PostSubject: Re: any ideas what these might be?   any ideas what these might be? Icon_minitime10/27/2010, 10:02 pm

actually those last few pics show atleast 7-8 different fish, besides the store bought gouramie and buenos aires tetra

gambusia, spotted gambusia, wild mollie, seminole killifish (i think, or barred), florida flagfish, tilapia, and... there's something that looks like a barred platy maybe
Back to top Go down
alan j t
Major
Major
alan j t

Favorite Fish: : discus

PostSubject: Re: any ideas what these might be?   any ideas what these might be? Icon_minitime10/27/2010, 10:08 pm

idk, but i like em
Back to top Go down
jaiko1975
jaiko1975

PostSubject: Re: any ideas what these might be?   any ideas what these might be? Icon_minitime10/28/2010, 5:34 am

i have a Mayan with several south American cichilds hybrids with no problems i will watch out for the platys and the cichilds they tend to be aggressive and Territorial sometimes.

Been netdipping i see..lol
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: any ideas what these might be?   any ideas what these might be? Icon_minitime10/28/2010, 10:08 am

http://myfwc.com/WILDLIFEHABITATS/Nonnative_FW_Fish.htm
That's the place to start looking, if its a non native it will be there!
Yes mayans are very tasty with garlic and butter lol!

Are the flag fish as good at eating hair algae as most people say they are? If they are you may need to show me where you got yours!!!!
Back to top Go down
bcijoe
Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1
bcijoe

PostSubject: Re: any ideas what these might be?   any ideas what these might be? Icon_minitime10/28/2010, 10:20 am

With the Mayans, I would either fish for large ones to eat, or I would net batches of fry to raise and ship off to my friend in NY that keep cichlids.

He would never release anything, and there isn't any patches of freshwater around where he is anyway. He actually still has his 2' long snakeheads and some pacus close to that size in his deep freezer from when they passed long ago!!!

But like you had said, just as good as tilapia... couldn't tell the difference... and easy to catch!

The flag fish I caught in the flats and channels off beaches here like bunch beach in Ft Myers.

I never kept them long because I quickly discovered how aggressive they are towards other fish. They have a round mouth/jaw with sharp teeth and are known to leave 'cookie cutter wholes' in fish... lol!

They were definitely the most aggressive of anything I caught initially.

The large killifish I ended up using as bait because I didn't have tanks large enough to keep them happy at the time. Same with the smallish Tilapia.
Back to top Go down
dano
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
dano

PostSubject: Re: any ideas what these might be?   any ideas what these might be? Icon_minitime10/28/2010, 10:39 am

When I was a kid in Tennesse we cought these in the creeks and stock ponds.....We called them Chubs............Google blunt nosed minnows and look thru the pics...There is one article that shows a pic of one similar to what you have.
Back to top Go down
proyect01
Captain
Captain
proyect01

Favorite Fish: : Aulonocara species

PostSubject: Re: any ideas what these might be?   any ideas what these might be? Icon_minitime10/30/2010, 3:05 pm

good catch !!! any ideas what these might be? 393849
any shrimp ?
Back to top Go down
bcijoe
Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1
bcijoe

PostSubject: Re: any ideas what these might be?   any ideas what these might be? Icon_minitime10/30/2010, 3:26 pm

they do look quite a bit like the blunt nosed minnows, but a little different too.

and yes, plenty of shrimp!

those fish were mostly caught in brackish bays or in canals, but when I would catch the mosquito fish and the black and white spotted gambusia that would typically hide along the grass lines, I would also get loads of ghost/grass shrimp too...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: any ideas what these might be?   any ideas what these might be? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

any ideas what these might be?
Page 1 of 1