UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

what is a victorian

Go down 
+2
russ
watermonkey
6 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
watermonkey
Private
Private

what is a victorian Empty
PostSubject: what is a victorian   what is a victorian Icon_minitime8/7/2010, 9:17 am

there is a person on another fourm selling a group of f-1 what ever that means, victorians, what is victorians. they are called a blue pseudonigricans, he says in his add they are rare.
the fish are very pretty and id like to have them but dont know a whole lot. and is 90.00 a fair price?

i dont mean to sound stupid but im kinda new to this.
Back to top Go down
russ
Private First Class
Private First Class
russ

Favorite Fish: : petrochromis!

PostSubject: Re: what is a victorian   what is a victorian Icon_minitime8/7/2010, 9:43 am

just a cichlid from lake victoria.
http://www.google.com/images?rlz=1C1CHNV_enUS363US363&q=blue%20pseudonigricans&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=og&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wi&biw=729&bih=679
how many are in the group and what are their sizes?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: what is a victorian   what is a victorian Icon_minitime8/7/2010, 9:48 am

Lake Victoria is an African rift lake and that's where Victorian cichlids come from.
I highly doubt that they are true F1's. F1 is the offspring of wild caught fish. There hasn't been any new imports from that lake in quite some time, so them having F1 anything from lake Victoria is highly doubtful. That being said I would doubt the purity of his strain. There are some sloppy fish keepers out there that will mix Victorians and get hybrids and sell them as pure, most all Victorians can and will interbreed.
If you are new to Victorian cichlids I recommend you pass on those guys, they have a mean streak and a habit of killing each other. There are more docile vics out there that would be better for you to start out with.

There are no dumb questions what is a victorian 393849
Back to top Go down
russ
Private First Class
Private First Class
russ

Favorite Fish: : petrochromis!

PostSubject: Re: what is a victorian   what is a victorian Icon_minitime8/7/2010, 9:59 am

Fern wrote:
Lake Victoria is an African rift lake and that's where Victorian cichlids come from.
I highly doubt that they are true F1's. F1 is the offspring of wild caught fish. There hasn't been any new imports from that lake in quite some time, so them having F1 anything from lake Victoria is highly doubtful. That being said I would doubt the purity of his strain. There are some sloppy fish keepers out there that will mix Victorians and get hybrids and sell them as pure, most all Victorians can and will interbreed.
If you are new to Victorian cichlids I recommend you pass on those guys, they have a mean streak and a habit of killing each other. There are more docile vics out there that would be better for you to start out with.

There are no dumb questions what is a victorian 393849
good info fern!!! what is a victorian 690297
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: what is a victorian   what is a victorian Icon_minitime8/7/2010, 10:09 am

Well I love my Victorians so I have done quite a bit of research into quite a few of them and a whole lot on the lake itself! The lake is in serious danger and its up to us hobbyists to keep the species alive, There are so many that are now extinct or severely endangered in the lake due to the Nile perch and human interference and disregard of the lakes health.
I believe that every serious fish keeper should have at least one tank with a species of Victorian in it. For most of the fish from there we are their only hope of survival!
Back to top Go down
Ghoulish_chaos
Major
Major
Ghoulish_chaos

PostSubject: Re: what is a victorian   what is a victorian Icon_minitime8/7/2010, 10:47 am

Been trying to get those fish for some time now. Good luck. You will need it.
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

Favorite Fish: : African Cichlids of all kinds.

PostSubject: Re: what is a victorian   what is a victorian Icon_minitime8/7/2010, 10:53 am

Where did u find the sale?
Back to top Go down
khrister
USA Fishbox Sponsor
khrister

Favorite Fish: :
Cyphotilapia
Cyprichromis
Mbunas
Fancy PL*CO

PostSubject: Re: what is a victorian   what is a victorian Icon_minitime8/7/2010, 12:07 pm

Ross aka Deadman is selling them from the other site. He gets his fishes from Germany. They might be F1, but no telling as I know, the Lake is pretty much dead. Google Lake Victoria conservation and read up on the condition/habitat of the lake.

People needs to propagate and keep the strain pure coz it might be the case that someday, the fish in your tanks will be the ones to re-stock the lake.

Last edited by khrister on 8/7/2010, 12:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: what is a victorian   what is a victorian Icon_minitime8/7/2010, 12:16 pm

This is great information. Hey guys and gals get your Lake Victoria tanks going. Anyone have a good research site about the lakes evolution?
Back to top Go down
watermonkey
Private
Private

PostSubject: Re: what is a victorian   what is a victorian Icon_minitime8/7/2010, 12:41 pm

you all made me think i was going to scammed, i called the guy, his name is ross, he explained that they were offspring from a very small w/c shipment in 2007 that came from a place called old world. he said he got them froma guy allen who had the w/c parents from 2007.

he also said that he also has a fish called mbipia mbipi f-1 that originated from same shipment.
and that this shipment could be verified by a place called the hccc, a guy called gas and a guy i think his name is allen fom a place called cichlids of victoria.
he explained that they are almost two years old and that he has about 200 growing out .

he said they di not come from germany and that i also could see the two species he has from there.

im going to go look at them this afternoon.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: what is a victorian   what is a victorian Icon_minitime8/7/2010, 12:47 pm

The German fish are not F1 they are quite a few generations from the lake, they have no F# to go with them that I am aware of.

Heres a few links about the lake
http://www.eawag.ch/organisation/abteilungen/fishec/publikationen/press%20coverage/2004_new_scientist
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfNmzMhMGgkhttp://www.wetwebmedia.com/ca/volume_6/volume_6_3/vic_chichlids.html
Back to top Go down
khrister
USA Fishbox Sponsor
khrister

Favorite Fish: :
Cyphotilapia
Cyprichromis
Mbunas
Fancy PL*CO

PostSubject: Re: what is a victorian   what is a victorian Icon_minitime8/7/2010, 12:49 pm

Most of OLDWORLD's Victorians are coming from Germany. Kory was suppose to do this with Leif but too expensive for a 1" fish. Ross is legit if that is what you want to know. I've bought fish from him before.
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

PostSubject: Re: what is a victorian   what is a victorian Icon_minitime8/7/2010, 12:52 pm

deadman is not worth dealing with. He has been banned from this site and HCCC b/c he acts 14. His fish might be what he says but in the end it's not worth dealing with him. Many people would say the same. I would not recomend doing business with Ross.

Did I mention he is good at enhancing the color in his photos. fish

Last edited by KMX on 8/7/2010, 3:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
watermonkey
Private
Private

PostSubject: Re: what is a victorian   what is a victorian Icon_minitime8/7/2010, 1:14 pm

you all have me freaked out about this guy, but im going to go look at them. ill take a friend.
Back to top Go down
Ghoulish_chaos
Major
Major
Ghoulish_chaos

PostSubject: Re: what is a victorian   what is a victorian Icon_minitime8/7/2010, 1:30 pm

Good luck man. I have some and they are really nice.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: what is a victorian   what is a victorian Icon_minitime8/7/2010, 1:56 pm

Don't be freaked out. Were just trying to help we're not saying everyone is bad just be aware thats all. Sounds like others have dealt with Ross and it was a good experience. WOW a F1 Lake Victorian what a find.
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

PostSubject: Re: what is a victorian   what is a victorian Icon_minitime8/7/2010, 2:36 pm

Good experiance and good fish are 2 diffrent things. lol!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: what is a victorian   what is a victorian Icon_minitime8/7/2010, 2:44 pm

you got that right! lol!
Back to top Go down
watermonkey
Private
Private

PostSubject: Re: what is a victorian   what is a victorian Icon_minitime8/7/2010, 3:38 pm

i just got home witha bag of fish. heehee. thoes lithocromis were absoultly beatuiful. he showed me verification on his claim of being from wild caught parents. its true they are f-1. he showed me doucmentation of a shipment in 2007. and pms from the man he bought them from.

i dint get the lithochromis because he was concerned about my inexpierance in the hobby and because they were so rare he wasnt comfortable selling them to me. but he did give me about 10 two inch haplochromis ruby greens. FOR FREE! he showed me web pages about the ruby greens and also a video about the lake. he explained to me that the bad history about these victorian fish is slowly turning around.

at first i thought omg, they were right, the guy is bald and tatooed and scary to me, but i found him to be very helpfull and knowledgeable. i hope you all dont mind i shared the stories i had heard about him, he and his stepson laughed, appearently his son was upset at him and said some things on a fourm that got him banned.

any way the blue fish are beautiful. he said if i do well with the ruby greens he would save back some blue ones for me.
i thought my neons and head and tail lights were cool, and kinda still do but the story behind the lake victoria fish is interesting to me, i forget what they are again, oh yea cichlids.

i like this fourm thaks guys its been a great day i got free fish and learned a bunch!
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

PostSubject: Re: what is a victorian   what is a victorian Icon_minitime8/7/2010, 3:57 pm

Just wait.... Same thing I thought about a year ago. You will see in time if you keep going over there.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: what is a victorian   what is a victorian Icon_minitime8/7/2010, 4:11 pm

That and he likes to bash people on other forums, as you all well know the sellers name was not mentioned when I wrote that. Yes he has very nice vics but is ultimately not worth dealing with

deadman wrote:
today after much concideration i decided to sell my group of lithochromis rupribipinnis. i recieved them from allen some time back.i have about 200 fry growing out and they have slowed down. as i understand it his came from the w/c 2007 shipment to old world.
any way i posted an add on the best local fish fourm.
i got a responce from a new fish keep to the hobbby, being new to the hobby didnt know what victorians were.
he said that he asked about victorians on another site and that he was told that any one selling f/-123 was more than likely not being honest.and they were most likely hybrids.

well ill just post the responce for you all to read.

"I highly doubt that they are true F1's. F1 is the offspring of wild caught fish. There hasn't been any new imports from that lake in quite some time, so them having F1 anything from lake Victoria is highly doubtful. That being said I would doubt the purity of his strain. There are some sloppy fish keepers out there that will mix Victorians and get hybrids and sell them as pure, most all Victorians can and will interbreed.
If you are new to Victorian cichlids I recommend you pass on those guys, they have a mean streak and a habit of killing each other. There are more docile vics out there that would be better for you to start out with."

here is my lesson learned, responces like this feed into folks shying away from lake victoria cichlids. the victorian community over the recent years had done an excellent job of educatingg folks about hybridization.
and now more that ever its easier to find pure strains. coupled with that, the ability to verify information and reputations on all the fish fourms has also helped hold thoes accountable that may practice questionable dealings. how many thread have we seen here asking if we know a cirtian seller?
so now there has been some one saying that the strain may not be pure. this dammages the hobby and the reputation of our fish and our integrity. speaking out of a lack of knowedlge,
also i have found them to a fairly docile fish much more than many victorians out there. also from a lack of knowledge concerning the lake itself and keeping up on shipmenets that come in.

so maybe in the future when we have the chance to respond on any given fourm seeking information on victorians that we make shure to do all of our home work first, rather than a blanket statement advise them to verify the authinticity of the strain and status. most up right vic keeper are more than happy to share that information.

i dont fault that individual. heck we may have all done this, but once we know we have made an error its vital to let the new victorian keep know that an error was made.

this also has reminded me of the progress that has been made and the work yet to be done concerning the victorians we love so much.

Back to top Go down
watermonkey
Private
Private

PostSubject: Re: what is a victorian   what is a victorian Icon_minitime8/7/2010, 4:36 pm

i read the entire post above and didnt see any bashing, stating that there was a lack of knowledge hardly qualifies as bashing. i dint see him mention any names and its seems that he even admited that he also has made that same mistake.

he does seem like a no nonsence guy, either way he hooked me up and was nice to me. i learned this when i was young it takes two sides to have a problem. usually neither party is innocent.
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

PostSubject: Re: what is a victorian   what is a victorian Icon_minitime8/7/2010, 4:52 pm

Hmmmmm..... I think all this is made up.... Dose anyone else follow?
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

PostSubject: Re: what is a victorian   what is a victorian Icon_minitime8/7/2010, 5:17 pm

I KNEW IT !!!! Watermonkey is Ross LMAO Pathetic ross!

To: KMX
Posted: Today at 6:13 pm
Subject: Watermonkey IS Ross
Hey Dude,

Just a heads up for ya. The user named watermonkey IS ross. He used that username on the HCCC site after he was banned there as well. Check his IP. He will likely use many many usernames attempting to get access here if you have banned him.

Back to top Go down
watermonkey
Private
Private

PostSubject: Re: what is a victorian   what is a victorian Icon_minitime8/7/2010, 5:49 pm

very good just wanted to see if there would be cr@p talking.
btw it was my step son that posted some not so kind things for that i appologise on his behalf kory, i do agree that was out of line and he no longer has acess to my computer.

ip address are easily tracked not to hard. i was suprised it took all day.

i could hardly dream that all up my self thanks for the help you guys.

im glad to hear you got a laugh out of it kory. for me it provided some interesting entertainment.
just having alittle fun. great to see some good vic info put out.

im an @$$ ill be the first to say it. but i do have great fish.
no hard feelings
lots of love and ill respect your wishes kory.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: what is a victorian   what is a victorian Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

what is a victorian
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next