UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

Plecos with Crayfish?

Go down 
+6
bristlenosedude
CajunGator
Holey Rock of Texas
KMX
ilicurtisili
CSnyder00
10 posters
AuthorMessage
CSnyder00
CSnyder00

Favorite Fish: : Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba, Ocellatus, Any bright-colored freshwater cichlid

Plecos with Crayfish? Empty
PostSubject: Plecos with Crayfish?   Plecos with Crayfish? Icon_minitime5/15/2010, 12:15 pm

Anyone ever kept the two together? Or tried? I have BN Plecos and would like to get a crayfish to two.

My concern is the plecos may become lunch, but then again, they are pretty big, and the crayfish moves pretty slow.

Ideas?
Back to top Go down
ilicurtisili
Admin
Admin
ilicurtisili

PostSubject: Re: Plecos with Crayfish?   Plecos with Crayfish? Icon_minitime5/15/2010, 12:19 pm

i think the crayfish would kill them slowly.
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

Favorite Fish: : African Cichlids of all kinds.

PostSubject: Re: Plecos with Crayfish?   Plecos with Crayfish? Icon_minitime5/15/2010, 12:32 pm

Never herd of such a thing together in the same tank But I bet it has been done b4.
Ask Bristelnosedude... He has them both Im sure he can answer this question.
Back to top Go down
CSnyder00
CSnyder00

Favorite Fish: : Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba, Ocellatus, Any bright-colored freshwater cichlid

PostSubject: Re: Plecos with Crayfish?   Plecos with Crayfish? Icon_minitime5/15/2010, 1:10 pm

I want one, but I'm not sure how they would do together.
Back to top Go down
ilicurtisili
Admin
Admin
ilicurtisili

PostSubject: Re: Plecos with Crayfish?   Plecos with Crayfish? Icon_minitime5/15/2010, 1:15 pm

well depending on the size of the crays u should be fine i would think. the plecos are usally on wall and objects. the crays run around on the grund most of the time. so as long as its not a big hungry cray it may work.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Plecos with Crayfish?   Plecos with Crayfish? Icon_minitime5/15/2010, 1:21 pm

Claws vs fins.......
Back to top Go down
CSnyder00
CSnyder00

PostSubject: Re: Plecos with Crayfish?   Plecos with Crayfish? Icon_minitime5/15/2010, 1:22 pm

Right. You both are thinking what I'm thinking. It's kinda questionable, but it may work. I can always toss the crayfish back into a stream, as they are native, so it's not a big issue.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Plecos with Crayfish?   Plecos with Crayfish? Icon_minitime5/15/2010, 1:25 pm

If you are catching your own QT him for 2-3 weeks
Back to top Go down
Holey Rock of Texas
Admin
Admin
Holey Rock of Texas

Favorite Fish: : shellys

PostSubject: Re: Plecos with Crayfish?   Plecos with Crayfish? Icon_minitime5/15/2010, 2:11 pm

the crayfish will eat the pl*cos. they catch them by the tail normally. if you are going to place to two together i would remove the bottom part of the pincher.
Back to top Go down
CSnyder00
CSnyder00

PostSubject: Re: Plecos with Crayfish?   Plecos with Crayfish? Icon_minitime5/16/2010, 10:53 am

I got them. So far everything is working very very well. The BN are actually running the crayfish around! They are defending their little homes and the crayfish are afraid of them. I think the fact that there are a lot of hiding spaces makes my tank a good candidate for this to work. Plus, the crayfish are smaller, so it works!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Plecos with Crayfish?   Plecos with Crayfish? Icon_minitime5/16/2010, 12:17 pm

Keep us posted, I would like to know how it goes!
Back to top Go down
CajunGator
CajunGator

Favorite Fish: : Cichlids, WC Syn Petricola, Shellies, Festae, Mbu Puffers, Koi Angels, ABN, Piranha, Mermaids

PostSubject: Re: Plecos with Crayfish?   Plecos with Crayfish? Icon_minitime5/16/2010, 2:49 pm

i think CRAWFISH rules !!!!

lol!
Back to top Go down
CSnyder00
CSnyder00

PostSubject: Re: Plecos with Crayfish?   Plecos with Crayfish? Icon_minitime5/20/2010, 9:25 pm

It's been almost a week now. No deaths and the crayfish are breeding already. My tanks must be hotels!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Plecos with Crayfish?   Plecos with Crayfish? Icon_minitime5/20/2010, 9:26 pm

cool!
Back to top Go down
Holey Rock of Texas
Admin
Admin
Holey Rock of Texas

Favorite Fish: : shellys

PostSubject: Re: Plecos with Crayfish?   Plecos with Crayfish? Icon_minitime5/21/2010, 10:21 am

cool. congratz.
Back to top Go down
bristlenosedude
Sergeant
Sergeant

Favorite Fish: : PLECOS AND AFRICAN RIFT LAKE CICHLIDS

PostSubject: Re: Plecos with Crayfish?   Plecos with Crayfish? Icon_minitime5/21/2010, 12:16 pm

I have a copule in with my adult marbled crays in a 15 gallon tank. There are 6 full grown crays and 20+ over an inch. No damage so far. I keep lots of pvc for them to hide in. I have lots of plecos so if one got chomped I wouldn't be too upset.
Back to top Go down
typicaltony
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

PostSubject: Re: Plecos with Crayfish?   Plecos with Crayfish? Icon_minitime5/21/2010, 8:07 pm

if the crays are well fed, theyll leave everything else alone... it's when theyre hungry and looking for food
Back to top Go down
CSnyder00
CSnyder00

PostSubject: Re: Plecos with Crayfish?   Plecos with Crayfish? Icon_minitime5/23/2010, 11:00 pm

My wife called yesterday to say that one of my crayfish was dead. Turns out, it had just shed its shell. The other followed the next day. Must be feeding them well!
Back to top Go down
CajunGator
CajunGator

Favorite Fish: : Cichlids, WC Syn Petricola, Shellies, Festae, Mbu Puffers, Koi Angels, ABN, Piranha, Mermaids

PostSubject: Re: Plecos with Crayfish?   Plecos with Crayfish? Icon_minitime5/23/2010, 11:11 pm

cool, really neat when they shed... my marbled ones are shedding often.. congratz..
Back to top Go down
Ghoulish_chaos
Major
Major
Ghoulish_chaos

PostSubject: Re: Plecos with Crayfish?   Plecos with Crayfish? Icon_minitime5/24/2010, 12:43 am

Awesome. I love crawfish in a tank.
Back to top Go down
plecoman
Private First Class
Private First Class
plecoman

Favorite Fish: : L134 leopard frog pleco

PostSubject: Re: Plecos with Crayfish?   Plecos with Crayfish? Icon_minitime8/10/2010, 10:32 pm

I haven't tried crayfish, but I have tried small crabs. It didn't work! I would come in to find one of the crabs attached to one of the pleco's tail fin with his pinchers. I got rid of the crabs! LOL... The pleco's would swim all over the tank trying to shake them off. Had a few tail fins tore up.
Back to top Go down
bcijoe
Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1
bcijoe

Favorite Fish: : Betta, Pacu, Clown Loach, Alfbn Pleco, Yellow Fin Barb (Lemon Barb), White Fin Rosy Tetra, Congo Tetra, more

PostSubject: Re: Plecos with Crayfish?   Plecos with Crayfish? Icon_minitime10/27/2010, 6:06 pm

Just my experience, i've kept crayfish and bottom dwellers together forever... well, for a good 15-17 years now. Never had an issue.

I've had the crays spawn in tanks with plecos and schools of corys.

Now I have a 125g with a white cray and atleast 15 different bottom dwellers - cats, loaches, botias, flounders and 4 plecos - a large normal, a medium flametip, and a small ABN and ALFBN pleco.

I have never seen the crayfish go after them. He tends to stay in his cave for most of the day and only comes out for feeding... combs the floor for food and that's it. The plecos are both on the glass and on the floors.

I even added the flounder recently because I found an LFS with three 3"'ers, as opposed to the tiny 1" size I usually see. They either stick to the glass or bury themselves under the sand. Again, no issues.

Not to say nothing can happen, just that I haven't experienced it yet!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Plecos with Crayfish?   Plecos with Crayfish? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Plecos with Crayfish?
Page 1 of 1