UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

My cory saga

Go down 
+14
JACK D
tjb0408
nitty
audrey
zobofonian
Janie
Patty
Orthidox
Twin Dad
Fish_Love
MasRoberts9
R2 Ranch
KMX
Holey Rock of Texas
18 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage

My cory saga - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: My cory saga   My cory saga - Page 4 Icon_minitime7/31/2009, 12:50 pm

First topic message reminder :

My albino cories laying eggs on the side of the tank!
My cory saga - Page 4 265353
This is in my 10gal tank that I was using for my rescued cories to fatten them up. All of them but the 3 albinos had been moved over to my 75gal about a week ago. during the 2 week QT time that I had all 10 in there I had been doing massive water changes 20%-50% and feeding shrimp pellets and frozen bloodworm's. still on the same feeding regiment. They had a decent sized water change 2-3 days ago about 30% 2 helpings of frozen bloodworms yesterday.
I have pictures and 2 videos of it I will put them up later after their done.

How long should I leave them in the tank? Do the males have to fertilize the eggs or is that done prior to laying? I will move them to my 20gal for the time being I guess. I know they will eat the eggs and thats all I know :shock:

I think these cories are about 4-5yrs old.

Last edited by Fern on 8/25/2009, 10:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage

PostSubject: Re: My cory saga   My cory saga - Page 4 Icon_minitime8/23/2009, 4:11 pm

So I went and got a turkey baster to move them with. I couldn't find a gentler method That would work on them. I have been counting them as I move them by the cup full. I have moved so far 123 cory fry and I haven't made a dent in the density of the tank affraid You cant even tell that I've taken any out!
Oh and I'm culling them as I do the move. I can inspect them rather well in the baster tube. I've only had to cull 3 so far, They all had very crooked spines. But all in all that's not a bad ratio.
Back to top Go down
Patty
Private
Private

PostSubject: Re: My cory saga   My cory saga - Page 4 Icon_minitime8/24/2009, 10:14 am

Those babies are so cute.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My cory saga   My cory saga - Page 4 Icon_minitime8/24/2009, 10:28 am

Thank you fish I may be selling some on here soon. I have to grow them up and figure out how many of what I have. I think i have 4-5 different variety's now from what I can tell.
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

Favorite Fish: : African Cichlids of all kinds.

PostSubject: Re: My cory saga   My cory saga - Page 4 Icon_minitime8/24/2009, 10:53 am

The best time to ship them is when they are young! Double bag it air tight and you should be good.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My cory saga   My cory saga - Page 4 Icon_minitime8/24/2009, 11:34 am

They aren't even fully formed at this point! I'm sure it is far too early to ship them
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

PostSubject: Re: My cory saga   My cory saga - Page 4 Icon_minitime8/24/2009, 12:03 pm

If they are free swimmers then they are good to ship. The smaller the better
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My cory saga   My cory saga - Page 4 Icon_minitime8/24/2009, 3:53 pm

Hmmm. ok

Well I moved another 113 of them just now for a grand total of 236. There are probably a dozen or so that are evading me. I've culled a dozen or so as well.
Back to top Go down
Janie
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class
Janie

Favorite Fish: : Calvus & all Victorian Cichlids.

PostSubject: Re: My cory saga   My cory saga - Page 4 Icon_minitime8/24/2009, 4:42 pm

Tell Kory to buy me some I love them. rendeer
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My cory saga   My cory saga - Page 4 Icon_minitime8/24/2009, 4:53 pm

It looks like shipping is the most expensive part.... I've never shipped before
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My cory saga   My cory saga - Page 4 Icon_minitime8/24/2009, 5:32 pm

C. aeneus or C. paleatus seem to be the most common albinos. The bronzes are mostly of the lighter green coloration.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My cory saga   My cory saga - Page 4 Icon_minitime8/25/2009, 6:23 am

Well the bronzes are at it again. I'm putting the eggs in a Tupperware with tank water and methly blue. I am going to try to get some more tanks today and just make a wall of 10g's and 20's for the fry......
The albinos look like they may be starting today too. They both seem to be morning spawners.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My cory saga   My cory saga - Page 4 Icon_minitime8/25/2009, 10:44 am

How many 10g's and 20g's do I need to get to do this right?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My cory saga   My cory saga - Page 4 Icon_minitime8/25/2009, 3:02 pm

And now there's 200 or so eggs in the albino's tank..... crazy
I will be picking up 2 10gals tonight for $20 from someone on CL and building a rack for 10 or so of them soon.....
Back to top Go down
Holey Rock of Texas
Admin
Admin
Holey Rock of Texas

Favorite Fish: : shellys

PostSubject: Re: My cory saga   My cory saga - Page 4 Icon_minitime8/25/2009, 3:04 pm

the 10's are good but you should consider getting some 20 longs.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My cory saga   My cory saga - Page 4 Icon_minitime8/25/2009, 3:36 pm

Yes I will get some kind of long short tanks for grow out.

Are the 20 longs the size of 2 10's lined up like - -? If so I have one.... I will just have to fight with my son for it lol!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My cory saga   My cory saga - Page 4 Icon_minitime8/26/2009, 3:27 pm

So here is a casualty that is on a dime for size reference.
My cory saga - Page 4 DSCN0460-1
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

PostSubject: Re: My cory saga   My cory saga - Page 4 Icon_minitime8/26/2009, 9:57 pm

Awwww, You will have some of these.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My cory saga   My cory saga - Page 4 Icon_minitime8/27/2009, 4:48 am

I didn't have too many. out of the 240 good fry I only pulled maybe a dozen deformed and dead. Not a bad percentage.
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

PostSubject: Re: My cory saga   My cory saga - Page 4 Icon_minitime8/27/2009, 8:32 am

yEAH thats not bad at all. Usually my Jags will have around 600-700 and only about 100 will survive. Its weird i cant figure them out.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My cory saga   My cory saga - Page 4 Icon_minitime8/27/2009, 8:37 am

I think I am going to get a group of panda corys next. They sell for more. I will probably work my way up from there.
Back to top Go down
zobofonian
Private First Class
Private First Class
zobofonian

Favorite Fish: : Freshwater - My angels, since I was a child they've been my favorite

Saltwater - I'd have to say my Humu Humu Picasso or my Gigantic Snowflake EEL

PostSubject: Re: My cory saga   My cory saga - Page 4 Icon_minitime8/27/2009, 1:19 pm

those have got to be some of the cutest fry I have ever seen. By the way my husband and I have gone on a cory kick for the past couple of weeks now so whenever you need to rehome a couple please let me know. Tanks (I meant to spell it that way)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My cory saga   My cory saga - Page 4 Icon_minitime8/27/2009, 1:26 pm

FL to TX is a bit of a ship.... But if you want to pay shipping.......
They have almost doubled in size since the last pics were taken. They are quite cute My cory saga - Page 4 165198 . These will be relatively cheep but once I upgrade to pandas then other fish I will need to charge more... And get my act together lol! . KMX will be in charge of TX group buys from me lol!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My cory saga   My cory saga - Page 4 Icon_minitime8/28/2009, 7:14 am

So I am working on building my wall of 10g's I think it will be 3 high and 4 wide. So 12 tanks. I have 7 now and I will be getting another 5 this weekend. Then I just need to build it. I figure once I have this setup it wont be too hard to move up on what I am breeding. Any requests? not cichlids!

Oh and my other batch of eggs are hatching.....
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

PostSubject: Re: My cory saga   My cory saga - Page 4 Icon_minitime8/28/2009, 7:26 am

African Cichlids! Do the rock or shell dwellers.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My cory saga   My cory saga - Page 4 Icon_minitime8/28/2009, 7:45 am

Eh.... Don't they require a lot of gallonage per fish? I need to start with the small stuff. Preferably not very aggressive.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My cory saga   My cory saga - Page 4 Icon_minitime8/29/2009, 8:30 am

Pics I took of the cory fry yesterday
My cory saga - Page 4 DSCN0570
My cory saga - Page 4 DSCN0571
My cory saga - Page 4 DSCN0578
My cory saga - Page 4 DSCN0580
My cory saga - Page 4 DSCN0584
My cory saga - Page 4 DSCN0585
I'm thinking bronze and peppered?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My cory saga   My cory saga - Page 4 Icon_minitime