UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.

Angels and blue rams in a 35gal hex??

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Barb Okla
Private First Class
Private First Class
Barb Okla

Favorite Fish: : FreshWater Cichlids of all regions! not picky.. yet..

Angels and blue rams in a 35gal hex?? Empty
PostSubject: Angels and blue rams in a 35gal hex??   Angels and blue rams in a 35gal hex?? Icon_minitime1/4/2010, 2:12 pm

Hey, I hve my 35 gal hex going but, I was wondering on the cichlids/others.. say some Blue Rams and Angels in this tank.

3 marbled angels and the 2 blue Rams Pair? not sure,, for the bottom of the tank. Also some neons, BIG ones for movement and color. Angels are fin pickers/eaters of small fish so the bigger neons would work better..

I do have an RO filter but would like to stay at at Ph 8.0 GH 214.8 KH 143.2 range if possible.. so the rams/neons might not work..

Any thoughts or better tank mates for the Angels that can stay in this tank?
Back to top Go down
CSnyder00
CSnyder00

Favorite Fish: : Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba, Ocellatus, Any bright-colored freshwater cichlid

PostSubject: Topic Reply   Angels and blue rams in a 35gal hex?? Icon_minitime1/4/2010, 2:51 pm

GBR's will not work. They need acidic water and pristine water quality. I tried some in a 55 gallon and they did not fair well. My pH was about 7.4. They need something like 6.8. As for the neons, you can try them, but as the angels grow, the neons may become bait, so you'll have to keep a close eye. Maybe some smaller Cory Cats? The other thing to think about is that any cichlid that breeds is going to want to clear the tank out to protect their young. My Jewels started killing or trying to kill anything in the tank when they had young. They even went as far as to kill a Jack Dempsey, which was bigger than them. Just a few things to chew on.

My choices would go as follows:

1) SMALLER Cory Cats. You want ones that will stay 1-2 inches. Not Albinos or Bronzes or Emerald Greens that get 3 inches or bigger. They will overstock your tank.

2) A Bristlenose Pleco. These are fun characters that keep the tank clean and add life!

3) A pair of Bolivian Rams. They would be the same as the GBR's as far as temperament, but would be less picky about water quality and may prove more compatible.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by CSnyder00 on 1/4/2010, 2:52 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Grammar)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Angels and blue rams in a 35gal hex??   Angels and blue rams in a 35gal hex?? Icon_minitime1/4/2010, 3:01 pm

angels get too big for that size tank. Plus if you did 3 1-2 of them would be killed. Either you would end up with a mated pair or 1 fish left.
Back to top Go down
CSnyder00
CSnyder00

Favorite Fish: : Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba, Ocellatus, Any bright-colored freshwater cichlid

PostSubject: Re: Angels and blue rams in a 35gal hex??   Angels and blue rams in a 35gal hex?? Icon_minitime1/4/2010, 3:08 pm

Angels and blue rams in a 35gal hex?? 858205
Back to top Go down
Barb Okla
Private First Class
Private First Class
Barb Okla

PostSubject: Re: Angels and blue rams in a 35gal hex??   Angels and blue rams in a 35gal hex?? Icon_minitime1/4/2010, 3:45 pm

I was not worried about the angels when they get bigger. I hve other tanks or trade for smaller ones.. AND I would move them if spawning/crowding/picking on became apparent..

figured on the rams and my water. I can do RO but even then the Ph only goes down to 7.2 but NO hardness..

I have a 2" albino bristle nose. he is cute and man can he eat the algea!! I might place him in later..

for now I wanted the Angels and some others just to get it going.. fish
Back to top Go down
CSnyder00
CSnyder00

PostSubject: Re: Angels and blue rams in a 35gal hex??   Angels and blue rams in a 35gal hex?? Icon_minitime1/4/2010, 3:57 pm

Sounds like a plan. Just know that you need an exit strategy. It's not easy to re-home once you become attached... I've tried...
Back to top Go down
Barb Okla
Private First Class
Private First Class
Barb Okla

PostSubject: Re: Angels and blue rams in a 35gal hex??   Angels and blue rams in a 35gal hex?? Icon_minitime1/4/2010, 4:31 pm

yes, that could be a problem! letting Go of a nice Angel! 8 other bigger tanks so MAYBE I can keep them in a 55 gal later on..
Back to top Go down
Barb Okla
Private First Class
Private First Class
Barb Okla

PostSubject: Re: Angels and blue rams in a 35gal hex??   Angels and blue rams in a 35gal hex?? Icon_minitime1/5/2010, 7:05 pm

Well I have placed in FOR NOW, 4 convicts to keep the bio going.. they wil be here for a week or so until I save UP for some Angels.. Stil doing them.. I am just going to have to LET them GO when the time comes,, IF I do not have a open tank for them.. lol!
Back to top Go down
dano
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
dano

PostSubject: Re: Angels and blue rams in a 35gal hex??   Angels and blue rams in a 35gal hex?? Icon_minitime1/5/2010, 10:10 pm

Most SA fish prefer pH less than 7.2 and moderately soft......I keep angels at 6.0 to 7.0 and they breed like crazy.......All the rams I have kept did better in soft water with pH 6.0 to 6.5.........Most SA fish can be kept in high pH and hard water, but they generally don't do well and most won't breed or show good color.....RODI and distilled water are not good for fish in the long run................................My 2 cents!
Back to top Go down
typicaltony
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

PostSubject: Re: Angels and blue rams in a 35gal hex??   Angels and blue rams in a 35gal hex?? Icon_minitime1/6/2010, 8:51 pm

using RODI water, you will have to add back the minerals and nutrients that is found in reg tap water or to simulate the water of SA.

Ive seen people house rams and angels together but most are 55g+, 35g is a bit small for all the livestocks you are thinking of.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Angels and blue rams in a 35gal hex??   Angels and blue rams in a 35gal hex?? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Angels and blue rams in a 35gal hex??
Page 1 of 1