UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

Delving into Neo Shrimp breeding

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
2SciCrazed
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
2SciCrazed

Favorite Fish: : Anything that's not belly up!

Delving into Neo Shrimp breeding Empty
PostSubject: Delving into Neo Shrimp breeding   Delving into Neo Shrimp breeding Icon_minitime11/26/2011, 9:16 am

Since I've had such good luck with Crystal Black shrimps, yellow shrimps and amano shrimps in one of my planted betta tanks (one male betta, LOTS of moss and rock cover - seen lots of baby shrimps)

[img]Delving into Neo Shrimp breeding 2011-110[/img]

And the cherries are doing well and breeding in both my daughter's unheated guppy tank and the two AP Chemistry research tanks at work....

[img]Delving into Neo Shrimp breeding 2011-016[/img]

And the amanos have proven to be more than able to breed and handle tanks that are unheated (low-mid 70's) or heated for betta breeding (80F) (granted, some of the crystal blacks even made it in the 'hot tank' when they shouldn't have)..... I'm now hooked on shrimps as companions in the heavily planted tanks that I keep solo male bettas in. I'm going to remove all the amanos/ghosts from my unheated living room tank. Since I've just won some snowballs and crystal reds. I'll put most of them in this tank - with others spread amongst my classroom tank and daughter's tank. (depending on compatibility)

[img]Delving into Neo Shrimp breeding 2011-111[/img]

Can't wait for them to arrive from TX and IL!

Last edited by 2SciCrazed on 12/28/2011, 10:36 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
jaiko1975
jaiko1975

PostSubject: Re: Delving into Neo Shrimp breeding   Delving into Neo Shrimp breeding Icon_minitime11/26/2011, 9:13 pm

nice..shrimp look like a marching army..lol
Back to top Go down
2SciCrazed
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
2SciCrazed

PostSubject: Re: Delving into Neo Shrimp breeding   Delving into Neo Shrimp breeding Icon_minitime11/27/2011, 8:52 am

Just won 30+ of these. The care fact sheets basically say they are as tough as cherries - so I'm planning on splitting them and putting some in the window 'hot tank' and the others in the cool 'volcano tank' pictured in my first post. I can't put them with my yellows or cherries - but they can go with the crystals and amanos.

I've also bid on some high quality CRS. These are some of the hardest to keep - but I have managed the CBS colony for a few months. I'm going to check parameters on my volcano tank tomorrow, may have to change out some of the water with distilled/spring water to dilute my area's natural hardwater.

[img]Delving into Neo Shrimp breeding Images10[/img]
Back to top Go down
2SciCrazed
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
2SciCrazed

PostSubject: Re: Delving into Neo Shrimp breeding   Delving into Neo Shrimp breeding Icon_minitime12/28/2011, 10:35 am

I ended up getting some Rilli shrimp as well. Took a few weeks for the youngsters to color up and now I see 3 berried females. Also noticed this black-tailed 'sport' show up. Hmmmm, should I pull him and a couple of females out and try to select breed for 'black rilli cherries'?

[img]Delving into Neo Shrimp breeding 2011-113[/img]

[img]Delving into Neo Shrimp breeding 2011-116[/img]

Normal Rilli - red/white

[img]Delving into Neo Shrimp breeding 2011-115[/img]

As for the standard cherries breeding in the Classroom research tanks. I checked on them yesterday, I've gone from 10 shrimps to well over 50 since August! I'm also noticing that many of the younger shrimps are of wild coloration. This indicates that the breeder did not send me pure cherry males. No problem, since we are breaking down the tanks next week and collecting our biomass production data - I have a local petstore owner who wants to purchase all the 'algae eating shrimp' I have. So a heavy cull is fixing to commence.

This said, should I purchase some new cherry stock from a reputable breeder - or take some of the bright red rilli males (also cherries) and use them with the red cherries that I keep?
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

Favorite Fish: : African Cichlids of all kinds.

PostSubject: Re: Delving into Neo Shrimp breeding   Delving into Neo Shrimp breeding Icon_minitime12/28/2011, 2:03 pm

Very nice. Yellows and ameno look great. Are the white ones snowball?
Back to top Go down
kumar
Private
Private

PostSubject: Re: Delving into Neo Shrimp breeding   Delving into Neo Shrimp breeding Icon_minitime12/28/2011, 2:06 pm

Are ghost shrimp and grass shrimp the same thing? and do people buy them?
Back to top Go down
jjgoodson
Private
Private

Favorite Fish: : Tropheus Purple and Red Rainbow, Lethrinops Intermedius.

PostSubject: Re: Delving into Neo Shrimp breeding   Delving into Neo Shrimp breeding Icon_minitime12/28/2011, 2:41 pm

Pretty cool. I wished I could have shrimp in my cichlid tank and they not be food.
Back to top Go down
2SciCrazed
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
2SciCrazed

PostSubject: Re: Delving into Neo Shrimp breeding   Delving into Neo Shrimp breeding Icon_minitime12/29/2011, 7:30 am

Ghost shrimp are grass shrimp. People buy them as their first starter shrimp because they're cheap. I put a handful of them in the special ed teacher's tank I set up a few months ago. She loves them -to but is too cheap to get into the other shrimps.

The white ones are snowballs. Have more males than females. But one of the females is berried. Figure it will take at least two generations to have enough to sell. (6-8 months)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Delving into Neo Shrimp breeding   Delving into Neo Shrimp breeding Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Delving into Neo Shrimp breeding
Page 1 of 1