UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

Ghost Shrimp breeding

Go down 
+4
James0816
wildbeanerz
steves_kiki
2SciCrazed
8 posters
AuthorMessage
2SciCrazed
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
2SciCrazed

Favorite Fish: : Anything that's not belly up!

Ghost Shrimp breeding Empty
PostSubject: Ghost Shrimp breeding   Ghost Shrimp breeding Icon_minitime1/1/2011, 1:26 pm

Here's some pics of some very happy Ghosts - that weren't bought for feeders!

[img]Ghost Shrimp breeding Ghosts10[/img]

Last edited by 2SciCrazed on 1/15/2011, 9:24 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ghost Shrimp breeding   Ghost Shrimp breeding Icon_minitime1/1/2011, 4:11 pm

Very cute little guy
Back to top Go down
steves_kiki
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class
steves_kiki

Favorite Fish: : I love them all and snails!

PostSubject: Re: Ghost Shrimp breeding   Ghost Shrimp breeding Icon_minitime1/3/2011, 6:52 am

Man, I bought some of those things and they lived for 3 days, I was so bummed...but they are too cute!
Kin
Back to top Go down
2SciCrazed
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
2SciCrazed

PostSubject: Re: Ghost Shrimp breeding   Ghost Shrimp breeding Icon_minitime1/9/2011, 12:00 pm

More pics. These shrimps seem to like an unheated tank that's around 72F - and LOTS of moss! I'm going to try and catch the next female I see carrying eggs and put her in the snail breeder tank. Then I'll have a good supply of younger shrimp.

[img]Ghost Shrimp breeding Ghosts10[/img]
Back to top Go down
2SciCrazed
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
2SciCrazed

PostSubject: Re: Ghost Shrimp breeding   Ghost Shrimp breeding Icon_minitime1/10/2011, 9:48 am

The egg carrying GS that I moved to the fry tank w/the snails. Crossed fingers!

[img]Ghost Shrimp breeding Eggbou10[/img][img]Ghost Shrimp breeding Eggbou11[/img]
Back to top Go down
wildbeanerz
Captain
Captain
wildbeanerz

Favorite Fish: : Love my black ocellaris!

PostSubject: Re: Ghost Shrimp breeding   Ghost Shrimp breeding Icon_minitime1/10/2011, 11:43 am

Cool project! Hope they hatch out for ya!
Back to top Go down
James0816
Captain
Captain
James0816

Favorite Fish: : Stingrays
Otocinclus Catfish
Kuhli Loaches

PostSubject: Re: Ghost Shrimp breeding   Ghost Shrimp breeding Icon_minitime1/10/2011, 11:58 am

Just in case you didn't already know, Ghosties are low order breeders. This means that the young will hatch in a larva state. With Ghosties, this is generally short. I believe it is 24hrs if memory serves me right. Depending on the species of Ghost, it could require brackish or freshwater to morph.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Back to top Go down
ClarkeExotics
Sergeant
Sergeant

PostSubject: Re: Ghost Shrimp breeding   Ghost Shrimp breeding Icon_minitime1/12/2011, 9:30 am

Very cool! I've always found these guys to be very interesting! I can't wait to see what happens with the eggs! Definitely keep us posted.
Back to top Go down
alan j t
Major
Major
alan j t

Favorite Fish: : discus

PostSubject: Re: Ghost Shrimp breeding   Ghost Shrimp breeding Icon_minitime1/12/2011, 7:20 pm

i think those guys can kill fish.
Back to top Go down
James0816
Captain
Captain
James0816

Otocinclus Catfish
Kuhli Loaches

PostSubject: Re: Ghost Shrimp breeding   Ghost Shrimp breeding Icon_minitime1/12/2011, 7:36 pm

alan j t wrote:
i think those guys can kill fish.

Only the red claw variety is aggressive.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ghost Shrimp breeding   Ghost Shrimp breeding Icon_minitime1/12/2011, 9:04 pm

They are sold as feeders in most LFS.
Back to top Go down
lifeisgood
Captain
Captain
lifeisgood

Favorite Fish: : My Favorites are the Pleco's and Cory Cats . BUT , I have 44 running Tanks at this time . I keep 3 kinds of Shellies , several types of Pleco's ( mostly Ancistrus ), Cichlids , Crays , Angels , LB's , and some local species .

PostSubject: Re: Ghost Shrimp breeding   Ghost Shrimp breeding Icon_minitime1/13/2011, 6:26 am

I had a 10gallon with these once .There was alot of Java moss in it . They bred very well for me . BUT , do not put any fish that are not herbivores in with them . Even the juvie guppies will hunt down and consume the newborn shrimps . That is experience talking by the way . They did fine with BN Plecos and cory in with them.
Ray
Back to top Go down
2SciCrazed
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
2SciCrazed

PostSubject: Re: Ghost Shrimp breeding   Ghost Shrimp breeding Icon_minitime1/13/2011, 4:45 pm

That's why I moved the egg carrying female to the 'snail breeding' tank. My 10G has glofish which munch on anything tiny like fry/larvae. All I have in the snail breeding tank is a lone painted glass fish. Debating on if she needs to be moved.
Back to top Go down
James0816
Captain
Captain
James0816

Otocinclus Catfish
Kuhli Loaches

PostSubject: Re: Ghost Shrimp breeding   Ghost Shrimp breeding Icon_minitime1/13/2011, 7:10 pm

If you have any fish in there, the larvae and small shrimplets will be in danger.
Back to top Go down
2SciCrazed
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
2SciCrazed

PostSubject: Re: Ghost Shrimp breeding   Ghost Shrimp breeding Icon_minitime1/14/2011, 7:49 am

And we have tons of tiny white larvae in the snail tank this morning. So tiny that I thought at first they were nothing more than some bottom waste stirred up - until I saw them moving and darting. Will take pics in a couple days as they get bigger.

BTW did read somewhere that GS larvae need snails that generate slime because they feed on that slime. That's why I put them in with the apple snails.
Back to top Go down
James0816
Captain
Captain
James0816

Otocinclus Catfish
Kuhli Loaches

PostSubject: Re: Ghost Shrimp breeding   Ghost Shrimp breeding Icon_minitime1/14/2011, 7:59 am

Awesome! It's actually the snail poo that produces the micro critters that will help them. I do the same with the Oto fry in that I try to keep a couple Briggs in the tanks for just that purpose as well.

Good deal. Oh...and good luck getting pics of the zoea. Unless you have a very good camera, it will be very difficult. :o)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ghost Shrimp breeding   Ghost Shrimp breeding Icon_minitime1/14/2011, 9:06 am

WOW congrates! I love the knowledge of others. I never knew the correlation between snails and shrimp. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
James0816
Captain
Captain
James0816

Otocinclus Catfish
Kuhli Loaches

PostSubject: Re: Ghost Shrimp breeding   Ghost Shrimp breeding Icon_minitime1/14/2011, 9:20 am

FishVixen wrote:
I never knew the correlation between snails and shrimp

It's not just for shrimp for that matter. Any of your bottom feeding fry and algae eaters like Oto's and plecos.
Back to top Go down
2SciCrazed
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
2SciCrazed

PostSubject: Re: Ghost Shrimp breeding   Ghost Shrimp breeding Icon_minitime1/15/2011, 9:27 am

Pics of the larvae. They are the little white line looking things.

[img]Ghost Shrimp breeding Ghost_10[/img]
Back to top Go down
Mac Myers
Private
Private
Mac Myers

Favorite Fish: : Puffers, Oscars, Snails, Shrimp, Crayfish. Oh... and Fried Shrimp.

PostSubject: Re: Ghost Shrimp breeding   Ghost Shrimp breeding Icon_minitime1/20/2011, 6:56 am

Interesting. I've never been able to get the Freshwater Ghosts (Palaemonetes paludosus around here) to breed. Some says it's because they need a brackish stage for the Larvae.... but that isn't true as they are plentiful in many freshwater pond, ditches etc. I'd love to figure out the secret.
Back to top Go down
James0816
Captain
Captain
James0816

Otocinclus Catfish
Kuhli Loaches

PostSubject: Re: Ghost Shrimp breeding   Ghost Shrimp breeding Icon_minitime1/20/2011, 7:12 am

The best way to do it is to isolate the female right before she drops the eggs. This will give the larvae a better chance of survival. You can inject a little green water to help substain them for a couple of days.

The larval stage is very short for ghosties. You can start feeding a day or so after they morph. Let them grow a little before introducing them to the tank.

There are some varieties of ghosties that the larvae do require brackish conditions. Others are freshwater.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ghost Shrimp breeding   Ghost Shrimp breeding Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Ghost Shrimp breeding
Page 1 of 1