UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

breeding ghost shrimp

Go down 
+2
typicaltony
vgould
6 posters
AuthorMessage
vgould
Private First Class
Private First Class

Favorite Fish: : Fundulo Panchax Sjoestedti (Blue Gularis)

breeding ghost shrimp Empty
PostSubject: breeding ghost shrimp   breeding ghost shrimp Icon_minitime7/23/2010, 4:27 pm

I was thinking about setting up a 10 gal tank and buying some ghost shrimp to start breeding so I can feed them to my fish. Anyone know how fast they breed? I'm assuming the parents won't eat they babies.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: breeding ghost shrimp   breeding ghost shrimp Icon_minitime7/23/2010, 8:11 pm

I had them breed in a planted 75g community tank. I tried to breed them in a 10g with java moss and they would not do a thing.... If they are happy they breed well, if they are not happy they wont breed at all.... I know that wasn't much help but its the best I have...
Back to top Go down
typicaltony
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

PostSubject: Re: breeding ghost shrimp   breeding ghost shrimp Icon_minitime7/24/2010, 10:03 am

very difficult as the eggs need a certain amount of salinity in order to hatch into larveas and even harder to raise them from the larvae stage into juvie shrimps..it can be done but very hard
Back to top Go down
vgould
Private First Class
Private First Class

PostSubject: Re: breeding ghost shrimp   breeding ghost shrimp Icon_minitime7/24/2010, 11:27 pm

Thanks for the heads up. I'm looking for something that will breed quickly with minimal care (such as not having to separate parents from eggs or moving pregnant females into maternity tanks). Any ideas?
Back to top Go down
proyect01
Captain
Captain
proyect01

Favorite Fish: : Aulonocara species

PostSubject: Re: breeding ghost shrimp   breeding ghost shrimp Icon_minitime7/25/2010, 10:52 am

Ghost shrimp (Palaemonetes paludosus) is 100% fresh water but you need a least 55 gal or bigger
Back to top Go down
typicaltony
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

PostSubject: Re: breeding ghost shrimp   breeding ghost shrimp Icon_minitime7/25/2010, 10:57 am

Cherry shrimps are fairly easy, given a stable environment and a large aquarium to themselve..they will breed rapidly. Or another route you can go could be marbled crays...even easier than cherries
Back to top Go down
vgould
Private First Class
Private First Class

PostSubject: Re: breeding ghost shrimp   breeding ghost shrimp Icon_minitime7/25/2010, 8:24 pm

How big do the marbled crays get? I've wanted to get the cherry shrimp for awhile, but like them so much I'd have trouble using them as feeders.
Back to top Go down
typicaltony
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

PostSubject: Re: breeding ghost shrimp   breeding ghost shrimp Icon_minitime7/26/2010, 7:53 pm

Marbled crays can get upward to 4".. mine is peaking at ~3" right now.
Back to top Go down
vgould
Private First Class
Private First Class

PostSubject: Re: breeding ghost shrimp   breeding ghost shrimp Icon_minitime7/27/2010, 10:24 am

I guess I would need to feed my fish the cray babies as a 3 incher may be hard to swallow.
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

Favorite Fish: : African Cichlids of all kinds.

PostSubject: Re: breeding ghost shrimp   breeding ghost shrimp Icon_minitime7/27/2010, 10:31 am

typicaltony wrote:
Cherry shrimps are fairly easy, given a stable environment and a large aquarium to themselve..they will breed rapidly. Or another route you can go could be marbled crays...even easier than cherries

breeding ghost shrimp 858205 Both are simple and grow fast
Back to top Go down
eep115
Private First Class
Private First Class

Favorite Fish: : all time favorite,guppies,and to many others to list

PostSubject: Re: breeding ghost shrimp   breeding ghost shrimp Icon_minitime7/28/2010, 4:54 am

you are trying to hard to raise ghost shrimp .their far easier to raise than r.cherries or crawfish and not worth neer as much.a tub or barrel ,water ,grass through it outside add shrimp. and feed f.food . about 45 day laterand fish food. their also winter hardy.or buy them for me?$6.00 a hundred or $40.00 a thousand plus shipping$5.00 a hundred usps or $20 a thousand on the bus over night to fwd area
e-mailme at ephillips@gt.rr.com
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

Favorite Fish: : African Cichlids of all kinds.

PostSubject: Re: breeding ghost shrimp   breeding ghost shrimp Icon_minitime7/28/2010, 7:55 am

eep115 wrote:
you are trying to hard to raise ghost shrimp .their far easier to raise than r.cherries or crawfish and not worth neer as much.a tub or barrel ,water ,grass through it outside add shrimp. and feed f.food . about 45 day laterand fish food. their also winter hardy.or buy them for me?$6.00 a hundred or $40.00 a thousand plus shipping$5.00 a hundred usps or $20 a thousand on the bus over night to fwd area
e-mailme at ephillips@gt.rr.com

lol!
Back to top Go down
CajunGator
CajunGator

Favorite Fish: : Cichlids, WC Syn Petricola, Shellies, Festae, Mbu Puffers, Koi Angels, ABN, Piranha, Mermaids

PostSubject: Re: breeding ghost shrimp   breeding ghost shrimp Icon_minitime7/28/2010, 9:55 am

mmmm sounds easy enough... great source of more food!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: breeding ghost shrimp   breeding ghost shrimp Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

breeding ghost shrimp
Page 1 of 1