UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

Your Opinion Wanted

Go down 
+2
KMX
Alton S
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Alton S
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Alton S

Favorite Fish: : Lake Malawi Haps and Peas

Your Opinion Wanted Empty
PostSubject: Your Opinion Wanted   Your Opinion Wanted Icon_minitime8/28/2011, 7:28 am

I recently got a trio of German Red's and have 2 F1 Ruby Red females. I read an article stating the two species are the same with the difference being one has been linebreed (German Red) and one is from the Lake Malawi naturally (Ruby Red). I would like to hear what others think if these are breed together would you consider them Hybrids?
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

Favorite Fish: : African Cichlids of all kinds.

PostSubject: Re: Your Opinion Wanted   Your Opinion Wanted Icon_minitime8/28/2011, 9:14 am

Yes it would be a hybrid.
Back to top Go down
khrister
USA Fishbox Sponsor
khrister

Favorite Fish: :
Cyphotilapia
Cyprichromis
Mbunas
Fancy PL*CO

PostSubject: Re: Your Opinion Wanted   Your Opinion Wanted Icon_minitime8/28/2011, 9:30 am

No, they are not hybrid they are line bred.
Here's a good article for them.

http://cichlid-forum.com/articles/red_peacocks.php

They are all line bred Chipoka.
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

PostSubject: Re: Your Opinion Wanted   Your Opinion Wanted Icon_minitime8/28/2011, 9:32 am

Sure, a few may be hybrids, but this is the exception and not the rule.

crazy
Back to top Go down
Alton S
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Alton S

PostSubject: Re: Your Opinion Wanted   Your Opinion Wanted Icon_minitime8/28/2011, 9:47 am

This is why I asked on here. I have been reading and thinking and can see both they would be Hybrids and it would be nothing more then breeding Linebred back to the original strain. Which happens all the time in Linebreeding to maintain the health of the offspring.

But all this means nothing if you have to refer to the offspring as Hybrid. I do not want to start a debate or get tempers flared. I just like to hear everyones opinion. So please do NOT turn this into a huge debate, Thanks for everyones input and please keep them coming.
Back to top Go down
Alton S
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Alton S

PostSubject: Re: Your Opinion Wanted   Your Opinion Wanted Icon_minitime8/28/2011, 9:49 am

Khrister, that is the exact article I read months ago and started me thinking about all of this.
Back to top Go down
proyect01
Captain
Captain
proyect01

Favorite Fish: : Aulonocara species

PostSubject: Re: Your Opinion Wanted   Your Opinion Wanted Icon_minitime8/28/2011, 4:26 pm

I dont try to add fresh genes becauese takes years to aisle a characteristic in the linebreed IMO
Back to top Go down
Alton S
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Alton S

PostSubject: Re: Your Opinion Wanted   Your Opinion Wanted Icon_minitime8/28/2011, 5:57 pm

Thanks Proyect01, I did not think of that aspect of it.
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

PostSubject: Re: Your Opinion Wanted   Your Opinion Wanted Icon_minitime8/28/2011, 5:59 pm

Nah no arguments here. All love baby! usafishbox
Back to top Go down
Alton S
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Alton S

PostSubject: Re: Your Opinion Wanted   Your Opinion Wanted Icon_minitime8/28/2011, 6:41 pm

Thanks Kory, I just have seen things like these explode and tempers flare. I am looking for honest opinions is all. I would hate to know I started anything more.
Back to top Go down
TheGodParticle
Sergeant
Sergeant
TheGodParticle

Favorite Fish: : Dats, Geo's, Fronts, Pikes. I collect the rare stuff!

PostSubject: Re: Your Opinion Wanted   Your Opinion Wanted Icon_minitime8/28/2011, 10:18 pm

Eventually if you line breed enough they are going to turn into hybrids down the line and have different colors, tempers, etc... Kinda like the Red Frontosas... This is just my opinion though, others may disagree.
Back to top Go down
proyect01
Captain
Captain
proyect01

Favorite Fish: : Aulonocara species

PostSubject: Re: Your Opinion Wanted   Your Opinion Wanted Icon_minitime8/28/2011, 10:53 pm

linebreed require control in all aspects 1Mx1F in a numered tank fry released in other numered tank etc
example male linebreed
male A0 female B0
fry A0B1
male A0 female A0B1
fry AA0B2
male A0 female AA0B2
fry AAA0B3
after these generation change male *(fresh LB genes)
male A1 female AAA0B3=C1
fry A1C1
Etc
and you can refresh genes with diferent LB male to avoid deformations
Back to top Go down
Alton S
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Alton S

PostSubject: Re: Your Opinion Wanted   Your Opinion Wanted Icon_minitime8/29/2011, 6:41 am

I have read a few articles on line breeding. Like everything on the internet you can find conflicting ways and ideas. I have heard to use 2 or 3 strains, cross the fry to parents and after 3 generations breed in another strain. The reasoning for this was to improve the immune system and keep the gene more pure. Plus I was told the original parents to breed the fry back to the mom not the dad.

Even still, my issue with both Hybridization and Linebreeding is this. Both techniques alter the natural species. How can one be acceptable and the other can not? Both ways humans have messed with Mother Nature.
Back to top Go down
nick a
Sergeant
Sergeant
nick a

PostSubject: Re: Your Opinion Wanted   Your Opinion Wanted Icon_minitime8/29/2011, 7:50 am

Every single one of us line breeds. These peacocks are just examples of the extreme end of the spectrum.

How many of us have unlimited tank space with massive quantities of males & females of each species we keep?

I would wager the overwhelming majority of us have chosen which male to keep based on our perception of what looks good.......messing with mother nature?
Back to top Go down
Alton S
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Alton S

PostSubject: Re: Your Opinion Wanted   Your Opinion Wanted Icon_minitime8/29/2011, 5:10 pm

Just my opinion Nicka. Never meant it as a standard or nothing more then MY opinion.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Your Opinion Wanted   Your Opinion Wanted Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Your Opinion Wanted
Page 1 of 1