UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

Crystal Clear Water in Tank

Go down 
+2
jb1edlover
IbUdIDAHI
6 posters
AuthorMessage
IbUdIDAHI
Private
Private

Favorite Fish: : DATNOIDS!!

Crystal Clear Water in Tank Empty
PostSubject: Crystal Clear Water in Tank   Crystal Clear Water in Tank Icon_minitime8/17/2011, 3:31 pm

I'm just wondering why the water in my tank isn't clearstal clear yet?
I've had it running for about 3-4 months now and it still isn't clear to where I can say, "dang"! Maybe it's b/c I'm using sand rather than gravel? I also do regular water changes every week. It's a 135 gallon tank with a 8" Oscar, 8' Pacu, 3" Datnoid and a 5" Redtail Catfish. Oh, and I'm using a Fluval FX5 as my filter which is built for a 400 gallon tanks.

Any suggestions anyone?

Thanks,
Jimmy
Back to top Go down
jb1edlover
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
jb1edlover

Favorite Fish: : I have the fish in my avatar but the photo was taken by Nick Andreola of the HCCC. His photography skills are a little better than mine!

PostSubject: Re: Crystal Clear Water in Tank   Crystal Clear Water in Tank Icon_minitime8/17/2011, 4:34 pm

When you say regular water changes how much are you changing? If you're changing too much maybe you're not letting the tank actually cycle. Sand would actually make the water a little clearer than gravel in my experience. What do your water parameters look like? (ie amonia, Nitrates, nitrites etc..). If you really are bothered by the "clearness" of the water open the canister and throw a couple pouches or a bag of Charcoal in the filtration system. It will clear the water up a pretty good amount. Most only use charcoal to remove medicines out of the water but it is actually very good at making the water sparkle! The Fluval is definately enough filter for the tank but you might want to consider adding some type of hang on filter. If nothing they will help with water circulation and keeping the temeratures down in the tank. One last "big" thing is what is your outflow like on the FX-5. Do you have much sag in the hoses? If you have much sag it really effects the 'inflow and outflow' of water. You need to cut enough hose that its pretty much comes from the top of the tank and goes right to the intake valve. Also the outflow should go pretty direct to the tank. If you have sagging in the hoses (Excess) then you really put a damper on the flow rate.
JB

Last edited by jb1edlover on 8/17/2011, 4:35 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)
Back to top Go down
ornate12
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
ornate12

Favorite Fish: : Ornate Bichirs, Synodontis Angelicus, Filamentosus barb,
Aristochromis Christyi, Ptychochromis Grandidieri and all other Madagascar cichlids.

PostSubject: Re: Crystal Clear Water in Tank   Crystal Clear Water in Tank Icon_minitime8/17/2011, 5:58 pm

Without more information, I would say cut back on feedings!
Your tank will clear up shortly. You'll drive yourself crazy with everyone's
opinions.
Back to top Go down
jb1edlover
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
jb1edlover

Favorite Fish: : I have the fish in my avatar but the photo was taken by Nick Andreola of the HCCC. His photography skills are a little better than mine!

PostSubject: Re: Crystal Clear Water in Tank   Crystal Clear Water in Tank Icon_minitime8/17/2011, 6:12 pm

Ornate12 is probably right... sometimes we do over "think" and the problem could be as simple as over feeding!
Back to top Go down
ornate12
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
ornate12

Favorite Fish: : Ornate Bichirs, Synodontis Angelicus, Filamentosus barb,
Aristochromis Christyi, Ptychochromis Grandidieri and all other Madagascar cichlids.

PostSubject: Re: Crystal Clear Water in Tank   Crystal Clear Water in Tank Icon_minitime8/17/2011, 9:39 pm

Sorry for the quick answer. My opinion is too much food leads to water quality problems.
Heck we all do it lol
Back to top Go down
Yeti
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class

Favorite Fish: : Cichlids, Mbuna & Haps/Peacocks
Bitten by the saltbug

PostSubject: Re: Crystal Clear Water in Tank   Crystal Clear Water in Tank Icon_minitime8/18/2011, 10:11 am

I would agree with all the above, one other possibility is how often do you clean the glass?

I know it sounds simple, but sometimes, especially with a high flow filter I've found, the flow of water increases the slow build up of very fine particles on the inside of the glass.
Only happens on one of my tanks, but that's the one where I'm running a filet that's 3x capacity of the tank.
Back to top Go down
strikingthematch
Captain
Captain
strikingthematch

Favorite Fish: : Discus, Stingrays, Arowana, Rams, and Angels

PostSubject: Re: Crystal Clear Water in Tank   Crystal Clear Water in Tank Icon_minitime8/18/2011, 5:23 pm

With a tank full of messy eaters it is easy to see why over feeding leads to large clarity issues and also some likely water quality ones as well. It is not uncommon to feed fish every other day. I tend to feed adult fish only once a day and no more then they can eat in 3 minutes.

With that FX5 you should have no filtration issues. I know the three I own keep the tanks looking amazing but the polishing pads to get dirty quickly if not cleaned out. The thing I found worked the best was to put a pre filter sponge on the inlet pipe. This kept the pads and large stuff out of my filter. It makes a world of difference and since those pads are expensive, well worth it!

Outside of that you may have to play around with how often you do water changes and how large each one is. One thing that can cause problem with any substrate (sand or otherwise) is trapping leftover food or waste. So a good cleaning when doing water changes can help to keep toxic levels of muck from building up.

Good luck!!
Back to top Go down
IbUdIDAHI
Private
Private

Favorite Fish: : DATNOIDS!!

PostSubject: Re: Crystal Clear Water in Tank   Crystal Clear Water in Tank Icon_minitime8/19/2011, 3:04 pm

Thanks everyone for the great advise!! You guys really are the pros. I really don't feed my fishes a lot, only about 1-2 times a day and I def don't over feed. Water changes every week is about 15-20%. It could be the carbon now that you brought it up, it's been about 2 months since I've last changed it. I do have a few questions and I'm sure one of you guys will be able to answer it.

I have a 135 g tank with a Fluval FX5 so keep that in mind.

1) How often do I have change the barbon out?
2) Will a lot of carbon harm my fishes?
3) How often do I have to change the Fluval BIOMAX Filter Media(white rings)

Thanks,
Jimmy
Back to top Go down
montemike72
Private First Class
Private First Class

Favorite Fish: : oscars, green terrors

PostSubject: Re: Crystal Clear Water in Tank   Crystal Clear Water in Tank Icon_minitime8/25/2011, 7:16 am

have you ever noticed that some respondents have to say the same thing the person said before them, just in different words, its like they just want to hear themselves speak, it gets OLD people
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Crystal Clear Water in Tank   Crystal Clear Water in Tank Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Crystal Clear Water in Tank
Page 1 of 1