UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

whatcha got

Go down 
    +7
    nitty
    fishyjoe27
    juice28
    tamu85 (Michael)
    Holey Rock of Texas
    MasRoberts9
    chevy350
    11 posters
    Go to page : Previous  1, 2
    AuthorMessage
    chevy350
    Second Lieutenant
    Second Lieutenant
    chevy350

whatcha got - Page 2 Empty
    PostSubject: whatcha got   whatcha got - Page 2 Icon_minitime7/23/2009, 9:07 pm

First topic message reminder :

lets hear what kind of light you have.
    Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage

PostSubject: Re: whatcha got   whatcha got - Page 2 Icon_minitime10/17/2009, 2:17 pm

philuponthepho wrote:
    Holy cow!, Mine was $10 48 in black light on clearance and the aquarium bulb is $10! Super cheap, all I needed was the cords that I've already had.

i am reffering to commercial units selling for 30.00 to 50.00 at online e-tailers, and the power supplies from radio shack being 23.00 (however psu's are not dificult to find in yard sales, etc. for cheap the only problem nowadays if finding a yard sale, etc that has good prices in the first place lol! )
    Back to top Go down
    philuponthepho
    Captain
    Captain
    philuponthepho

Favorite Fish: : Anything I can afford (which is $0)

PostSubject: Re: whatcha got   whatcha got - Page 2 Icon_minitime10/17/2009, 2:20 pm

Man, people are crazy with fish these days. Unless it's a shark or a whale, I won't be spending more than $15 on a fish.
    Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: whatcha got   whatcha got - Page 2 Icon_minitime10/17/2009, 8:11 pm

philuponthepho wrote:
    Man, people are crazy with fish these days. Unless it's a shark or a whale, I won't be spending more than $15 on a fish.

well there are reason saltwater fish cost more and the reasons are as follows:

color (freshwater fish do have color but saltwater fish beat them hands down)
    location (depending on what area the fish or coral came from for example fish from hawaii cost more than some from elsewhere)
    time of year (some fish can only be collected at certain times of year)
    quantity available (some species are limited to the number that can be collected)

i am sure there are more i just am drawing a blank right now, another thing to consider is tank raised or wild caught.

i prefer wild caught for the following reason:

wild caught seem to have more vibrant color than tank raised varieties

on a side note breding saltwater fish in captivity although it is possible IMHO is not very practical, in the case of clownfish (ocelleris) when the fry are born they require a special diet consisting of live rotifers and other special needs (more so than freshwater varieties of fish) and alot more delicate care and almost perfect water conditions which freshwater species dont have to have seeing as they are use to changes in temp, and water quality.
    Back to top Go down
    philuponthepho
    Captain
    Captain
    philuponthepho

PostSubject: Re: whatcha got   whatcha got - Page 2 Icon_minitime10/18/2009, 12:11 pm

yeah salt is a pain the butt
    Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: whatcha got   whatcha got - Page 2 Icon_minitime10/18/2009, 12:49 pm

philuponthepho wrote:
    yeah salt is a pain the butt

not really, you still check water parameters and do waterchanges in freshwater so the only real difference is with saltwater you also check salinity (of course if you plan to keep corals you need special lighting and a protein skimmer is used in saltwater and not on freshwater.

now some people find freshwater easier because they buy wally world fish, stick them in a tank and simply feed them and do nothing else (which is more than wal-mart does lol! )
    Back to top Go down
    philuponthepho
    Captain
    Captain
    philuponthepho

PostSubject: Re: whatcha got   whatcha got - Page 2 Icon_minitime10/18/2009, 3:01 pm

I've never tried salt water before but its just too expensive for someone whos super poor.
    Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: whatcha got   whatcha got - Page 2 Icon_minitime10/19/2009, 9:41 am

philuponthepho wrote:
    I've never tried salt water before but its just too expensive for someone whos super poor.

just FYI, i am super poor. i have been unemployed for about a month and am still looking for employment. if you want to try it start out with like a 30 gallon tank and a fish or 2. with a FO tank you will not need to go and get T5 or MH lighting as fish really dont require alot of light to grow, and as long as you do your waterchanges you can forgo the skimmer also. then when you are a little more comfortable and have some money saved you can get the better lighting as well as the protein skimmer and start getting corals then.
    Back to top Go down
    philuponthepho
    Captain
    Captain
    philuponthepho

PostSubject: Re: whatcha got   whatcha got - Page 2 Icon_minitime10/19/2009, 11:42 am

sweet tanks. I shall be craigslisting tonite!
    Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: whatcha got   whatcha got - Page 2 Icon_minitime10/19/2009, 1:23 pm

philuponthepho wrote:
    sweet tanks. I shall be craigslisting tonite!

craigslisting for what size tank?
    Back to top Go down
    philuponthepho
    Captain
    Captain
    philuponthepho

PostSubject: Re: whatcha got   whatcha got - Page 2 Icon_minitime10/19/2009, 6:53 pm

Probably a 29 gallon. My cousin is getting a 55 in addition to his 100 gallon so there will be no room for his 29. I'll probably take that and start my own salt water. I'm going to need ALOT of help with salt because I've never attempted this before. It'll probably be another couple of weeks or so, but I'll spam pm you with questions when it arrives.
    Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: whatcha got   whatcha got - Page 2 Icon_minitime10/19/2009, 8:26 pm

philuponthepho wrote:
    but I'll spam pm you with questions when it arrives.

spam away i will be more than happy to help you get going lol! , i still have my 55 up fs/ft because the interested party had to back out due to his transmission going out. i hope he gets it taken care of as i know how that is fortunately for me i have a 74 nova with a turbo 350 and it only cost me 600.00 to get it rebuilt here in ardmore, they took it for a test drive 3 days after i dropped it off. funny thing is the day i dropped it off to be done they told me it would take a week and they called 3 days later saying that it was finished and asked if they could take it for a test drive to test the tranny.
    Back to top Go down
    philuponthepho
    Captain
    Captain
    philuponthepho

PostSubject: Re: whatcha got   whatcha got - Page 2 Icon_minitime10/19/2009, 9:10 pm

wow, thats hilarious. My friend has a 74 nova too! Super fun to drive.
    Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: whatcha got   whatcha got - Page 2 Icon_minitime10/19/2009, 10:21 pm

philuponthepho wrote:
    wow, thats hilarious. My friend has a 74 nova too! Super fun to drive.

i am sure his is in better shape than mine, mine currently needs the engine rebuilt, i picked the engine up in a junkyard and drove it for like 3 years including a trip to arizona and back LOL
    Back to top Go down
    CajunGator
    CajunGator

Favorite Fish: : Cichlids, WC Syn Petricola, Shellies, Festae, Mbu Puffers, Koi Angels, ABN, Piranha, Mermaids

PostSubject: Re: whatcha got   whatcha got - Page 2 Icon_minitime10/19/2009, 10:41 pm

Dang. That car was built 2 yrs after I grad college. Lol. That's an antique lol
    Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: whatcha got   whatcha got - Page 2 Icon_minitime10/19/2009, 10:59 pm

cajun wrote:
    Dang. That car was built 2 yrs after I grad college. Lol. That's an antique lol

and they will outlast anything that has been produced in the last 30 years lol!
    Back to top Go down
    jexxica
    Private
    Private
    jexxica

Favorite Fish: : Green Mandrian Dragonet

PostSubject: Re: whatcha got   whatcha got - Page 2 Icon_minitime12/17/2009, 11:11 pm

4 HO T5 actenic

w/ 2 250W MH Geinser (sp?) bulbs

w/ 2 clusters of LED moonlighting

All in one fabulous fixture!
    Back to top Go down
    Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: whatcha got   whatcha got - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

whatcha got
    Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2