UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

New Lighting for my tank... whatcha think?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
S&FW_FishyFriend
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
S&FW_FishyFriend

Favorite Fish: : Currently so into Reef it's not even funny! Missed having saltwater, now that I've got it again---- STOKED!

New Lighting for my tank... whatcha think? Empty
PostSubject: New Lighting for my tank... whatcha think?   New Lighting for my tank... whatcha think? Icon_minitime9/22/2009, 4:16 pm

This is my salt tank before:
New Lighting for my tank... whatcha think? 2yvq8p3
with regular florescent bulbs

My salt tank now:
New Lighting for my tank... whatcha think? 30n9pog
with Coral Sun Actnic 420 and Reef Sun 50/50 bulbs

*** Fixed pics... I think!***... I did, yay!

Last edited by S&FW_FishyFriend on 9/22/2009, 8:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

Favorite Fish: : African Cichlids of all kinds.

PostSubject: Re: New Lighting for my tank... whatcha think?   New Lighting for my tank... whatcha think? Icon_minitime9/22/2009, 4:23 pm

Pics are so big can you re size them?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New Lighting for my tank... whatcha think?   New Lighting for my tank... whatcha think? Icon_minitime9/22/2009, 6:12 pm

Looks better I think
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New Lighting for my tank... whatcha think?   New Lighting for my tank... whatcha think? Icon_minitime9/22/2009, 7:07 pm

KMX wrote:

Yeppers, 1600 x 1200 is too big for this post.
Resize them to 800 x 600.
Still a big size, but fits the page without any prob.
Back to top Go down
S&FW_FishyFriend
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
S&FW_FishyFriend

Favorite Fish: : Currently so into Reef it's not even funny! Missed having saltwater, now that I've got it again---- STOKED!

PostSubject: Re: New Lighting for my tank... whatcha think?   New Lighting for my tank... whatcha think? Icon_minitime9/22/2009, 8:41 pm

There, I fixed the picture size and learned how to do it for future posts! Alright!
Back to top Go down
juice28
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
juice28

Favorite Fish: : black false percula, spotted mandarin

PostSubject: Re: New Lighting for my tank... whatcha think?   New Lighting for my tank... whatcha think? Icon_minitime9/23/2009, 3:48 am

tank is looking good, what type of lights are you running( PC VHO and whats the wattage? I see you want a mandarin, they really are not as hard to keep as people say, you just need a good deal of pods and watch your condi with it, mandarins are slow swimmers and can easily be caught by anemone's I have a bubble tip and my mandarin has almost become a mean a few times..id recommend a spotted or psychedelic mandarin over a green, they are more prone to/ and easier to train to eat frozen foods along with the pods. you are going to need more rock for a mandarin also, id say got small pieces that you can make caves and things with so he can scoot all around your tank, keep it up! looking good
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New Lighting for my tank... whatcha think?   New Lighting for my tank... whatcha think? Icon_minitime9/23/2009, 4:08 am

You should get some of those things that look like shiny green/purple marbles. I think there a coral of some kind....idk but they look really cool.
Back to top Go down
juice28
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
juice28

PostSubject: Re: New Lighting for my tank... whatcha think?   New Lighting for my tank... whatcha think? Icon_minitime9/23/2009, 4:15 am

im not familiar with those...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New Lighting for my tank... whatcha think?   New Lighting for my tank... whatcha think? Icon_minitime9/23/2009, 4:20 am

I'm clueless what they are but I've seen them in the salt tanks at my LFS.
Can you tell I'm not a salt person lol!
Back to top Go down
juice28
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
juice28

PostSubject: Re: New Lighting for my tank... whatcha think?   New Lighting for my tank... whatcha think? Icon_minitime9/24/2009, 12:20 pm

lol its ok we all have to start at the same place, take a pic of the light ballast and the bulbs, cant tell the wats but it should be good enough to tell wither they are t5's or PC's, t5's are basically like regular florescent bulbs just thinner, PC(power compacts) are usually a "u" or two bulbs going together into one port
Back to top Go down
nitty
nitty

Favorite Fish: : Mine:
110gal. Eclectochromis Lobochilus Hertae
56gal. Neolamprologus Brichardi

PostSubject: Re: New Lighting for my tank... whatcha think?   New Lighting for my tank... whatcha think? Icon_minitime9/24/2009, 12:31 pm

Are these T5's or PC's ?

Last edited by nitty on 9/24/2009, 12:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
nitty
nitty

PostSubject: Re: New Lighting for my tank... whatcha think?   New Lighting for my tank... whatcha think? Icon_minitime9/24/2009, 12:34 pm

TangTango wrote:
KMX wrote:

Yeppers, 1600 x 1200 is too big for this post.
Resize them to 800 x 600.
Still a big size, but fits the page without any prob.

My pics are really big also.
How do I resize them?
Back to top Go down
S&FW_FishyFriend
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
S&FW_FishyFriend

PostSubject: Re: New Lighting for my tank... whatcha think?   New Lighting for my tank... whatcha think? Icon_minitime9/24/2009, 1:12 pm

Nitty: I resized the pics by uploading them at http://tinypic.com and selecting Message Board size from the drop down menu then copy pasted the code for forums and put it in my post. Let me know if that makes sense or not...

The bulbs are a strip light, the kind with the two pegs at either end that turn half way to screw in to place... they took the place of my florescent bulbs. They aren't powerful enough but will have to do until I can locate some better lighting. They're 15 watts each (I think, it was 15 something at any rate...) and they're on a 29 gallon tank. If anyone knows of a 24" long T5 fixture that is for sale used, let me know!
Back to top Go down
nitty
nitty

PostSubject: Re: New Lighting for my tank... whatcha think?   New Lighting for my tank... whatcha think? Icon_minitime9/24/2009, 2:10 pm

I use T5's and PC's, but only because both my tanks had lights with the purchase.
My nano came with PC lights built in. The 55 I purchase, the guy included some T5's
in with the sell.
Back to top Go down
juice28
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
juice28

PostSubject: Re: New Lighting for my tank... whatcha think?   New Lighting for my tank... whatcha think? Icon_minitime9/25/2009, 11:47 am

GOOD LIGHTING, YOU SHOULD BE PRETTY GOOD TO KEEP JUST ABOUT ANYTHING, i HAVE A BUBBLE TIP ANEMONE UNDER pc'S AND ITS DOING GREAT! THE ONLY THING i CANT REALLY KEEP IS CLAMS AND THATIS BECAUSE MY TANK IS SOOOO DEEP(THATS Y IM UPGRADING TO THE 90 LONG!)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New Lighting for my tank... whatcha think?   New Lighting for my tank... whatcha think? Icon_minitime9/25/2009, 12:45 pm

nitty wrote:
My pics are really big also. How do I resize them?

Yeh, when ya take pics with a digital camera that has 6, 7, 8, ect.. megapixels
ya pics will be a huge size. I use a photo editing program to re-size all the
ones I'm goin to post down to 800 x 600. Most editing programs will keep the
pics proportions (length & height) when ya re-size. Ya only re-size one side
and the other side will auto re-size to match.
New Lighting for my tank... whatcha think? 23_33_7
The way S&FWfishyfriend was say'n to do it works too.
tinypic re-sizes the pics for ya automatically but depending on the
original size of the pic and ya net speed, upload'n large pics could be slow.
Back to top Go down
juice28
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
juice28

PostSubject: Re: New Lighting for my tank... whatcha think?   New Lighting for my tank... whatcha think? Icon_minitime9/25/2009, 4:18 pm

you could go to photobucket.com (its free) and just link the picture to the post that way it wont be too big thats what I do
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New Lighting for my tank... whatcha think?   New Lighting for my tank... whatcha think? Icon_minitime9/27/2009, 1:19 am

i use only T5 HO, i have a 4 bulb fixture that has 2 10,000k bulbs and 2 420NM actinic bulbs. i am currently getting ready to replace my bulbs because i have no idea how old they REALLY are as they were in the fixture when i got it used and all i know is what i was told but they seem to have lost some of their brightness
Back to top Go down
juice28
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
juice28

PostSubject: Re: New Lighting for my tank... whatcha think?   New Lighting for my tank... whatcha think? Icon_minitime9/28/2009, 12:15 pm

for corals, and anem's you want bright light so you might want to replace the bulbs
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New Lighting for my tank... whatcha think?   New Lighting for my tank... whatcha think? Icon_minitime10/15/2009, 4:24 am

then there are T-12's that are available in NO (normal output) and VHO very high output or variable high output. they do have 10k and actinic bulbs in normal output ( i know because i hade some once and come to think of it my actinic bulb was a coral sun brand)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New Lighting for my tank... whatcha think?   New Lighting for my tank... whatcha think? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New Lighting for my tank... whatcha think?
Page 1 of 1