UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

Bala shark question

Go down 
+3
Dr. Who
ornate12
Keelo
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Keelo
Major
Major
Keelo

Favorite Fish: : Mollys, BN plec, and Thoracochromis brauschi

Bala shark question Empty
PostSubject: Bala shark question   Bala shark question Icon_minitime6/19/2011, 8:52 pm

are bala sharks comunity fish? Can they go in with my molly and platys?
Back to top Go down
ornate12
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
ornate12

Favorite Fish: : Ornate Bichirs, Synodontis Angelicus, Filamentosus barb,
Aristochromis Christyi, Ptychochromis Grandidieri and all other Madagascar cichlids.

PostSubject: Re: Bala shark question   Bala shark question Icon_minitime6/19/2011, 8:59 pm

Keelo I would say" No ". They get huge !! I saw a tank once, they were all approx 12 inches!!
Back to top Go down
Keelo
Major
Major
Keelo

PostSubject: Re: Bala shark question   Bala shark question Icon_minitime6/19/2011, 9:02 pm

oh wow i thought they only got to like 5-6 inchs OOPS not a good idea for my 55 gal then :) ty!
Back to top Go down
ornate12
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
ornate12

Favorite Fish: : Ornate Bichirs, Synodontis Angelicus, Filamentosus barb,
Aristochromis Christyi, Ptychochromis Grandidieri and all other Madagascar cichlids.

PostSubject: Re: Bala shark question   Bala shark question Icon_minitime6/19/2011, 9:05 pm

Keelo I'm sure it will take years to get that large !!
Back to top Go down
Keelo
Major
Major
Keelo

PostSubject: Re: Bala shark question   Bala shark question Icon_minitime6/19/2011, 9:55 pm

the one i was going to adopt for free off CL is already 5 inchs though if it gets bigger it would start getting cramped i think since my tank is so heavly planted.
Back to top Go down
Dr. Who
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

PostSubject: Re: Bala shark question   Bala shark question Icon_minitime6/19/2011, 10:11 pm

Bala sharks are very skidish. Not agressive. Can reach 18 inchs. Need lots of O2 in the water. As far as with livebrears thats up to you. Also they like larger tank.
Back to top Go down
BobV
Sergeant
Sergeant
BobV

Favorite Fish: : african cichlids

PostSubject: Re: Bala shark question   Bala shark question Icon_minitime6/20/2011, 8:32 am

Dr. Who is correct, they get skiddish, Plus they like to be in groups.
Back to top Go down
Keelo
Major
Major
Keelo

PostSubject: Re: Bala shark question   Bala shark question Icon_minitime6/20/2011, 10:49 am

yeahhh not a good fit for sure :) i guess this ones been a single bala shark for a while but hopefully someone that knows more about them can take him!
Back to top Go down
plantedtankdude
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
plantedtankdude

Favorite Fish: : all of them along with mermaids and me I'm a Pisces.

PostSubject: Re: Bala shark question   Bala shark question Icon_minitime6/20/2011, 1:32 pm

they are not agressive but yes they are skiddish and can swim like crazy. had a group of them in my 225 tall and they got big. some where 16 inches long, and I had to buy a koi pond net to catch them.
Back to top Go down
Kasshan
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Kasshan

Favorite Fish: : Kribensis

PostSubject: Re: Bala shark question   Bala shark question Icon_minitime6/20/2011, 9:28 pm

bala sharks are a sad story, theyre practically wiped out in their native populations. and in the hobby they are often abused and poorly taken care of. they require large long tanks 4ft minimum and 100gals+. their name often puts them in tanks with aggressive fish like SA cichlids, but they arent suited for that. balas have small mouths and they should be fine in a large non/semi agressive tank with a bare minimum of 3 balas, but 5 is better. they get over 1ft long but they are slow growers. small tanks will make stunted and obese specimens. use your own discretion
Back to top Go down
2SciCrazed
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
2SciCrazed

Favorite Fish: : Anything that's not belly up!

PostSubject: Re: Bala shark question   Bala shark question Icon_minitime6/21/2011, 9:34 am

Yes, so far they haven't gotten them to tank breed, but they will pond breed in warm regions. They ARE jumpers and do best in schools of 3-5. Must have a long-type large volume tank for longevity. And do enjoy munching on aquatic vegetation. Also, a strong current and/or bubbler is necessary.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bala shark question   Bala shark question Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Bala shark question
Page 1 of 1