UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

Shark gone nuts!

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
strawman1985
strawman1985

Favorite Fish: : Jack Dempsey...Red Tail Shark... Severum... Raphael Cat...Cardinals...Cory's... Hy511's There are many more as well

Shark gone nuts! Empty
PostSubject: Shark gone nuts!   Shark gone nuts! Icon_minitime5/2/2012, 2:13 pm

Well my redtail shark has grown a good bit, and the krib who picked on him a bit when he was little is now getting greatly harassed. Would rather not get rid of any of the 2. Any suggestions? If I have to get rid of one it will be him just because he harasses others too, but they are all very fast.
Back to top Go down
Kasshan
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Kasshan

Favorite Fish: : Kribensis

Shark gone nuts! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shark gone nuts!   Shark gone nuts! Icon_minitime5/2/2012, 4:12 pm

get the krib a mate. is your krib a male or female
Back to top Go down
S&FW_FishyFriend
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
S&FW_FishyFriend

Favorite Fish: : Currently so into Reef it's not even funny! Missed having saltwater, now that I've got it again---- STOKED!

Shark gone nuts! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shark gone nuts!   Shark gone nuts! Icon_minitime5/2/2012, 5:58 pm

What other fish are in there besides the krib & red tail? Also, how big is your tank? If you have enough room to add more fish, then you might think about adding "dither" fish. These would be schooling type fish that constantly swim back & forth distracting potential bullies to help alleviate tension between tankmates. You might also do well to add more plants to provide visual breaks. Like I said, let us know your tank size and other inhabitants and we can better troubleshoot.
Back to top Go down
Kasshan
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Kasshan

Shark gone nuts! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shark gone nuts!   Shark gone nuts! Icon_minitime5/2/2012, 8:31 pm

if recall correctly strawman has got a few tanks, off the top of my head hes got a 29 and 55. but im sure hes got more.
Back to top Go down
strawman1985
strawman1985

Favorite Fish: : Jack Dempsey...Red Tail Shark... Severum... Raphael Cat...Cardinals...Cory's... Hy511's There are many more as well

Shark gone nuts! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shark gone nuts!   Shark gone nuts! Icon_minitime5/2/2012, 8:40 pm

I have 4 tanks now...for the moment I moved her to my 29 gallon with cherry barbs neons a pearl paradise fish and an angel...
The 55 is where she was... In there I have the shark... 10 rainbows 9 black skirts 7 columbians 2 cory's 2 pearl gouramis and an angelfish.

Kasshan, I have a female...
Back to top Go down
strawman1985
strawman1985

Shark gone nuts! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shark gone nuts!   Shark gone nuts! Icon_minitime5/2/2012, 8:43 pm

Also any plants I add do not stay planted long and the leaves disappear..I think he is the culprit. I have 3 good sized pieces of driftwood in there too.
Back to top Go down
Kasshan
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Kasshan

Shark gone nuts! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shark gone nuts!   Shark gone nuts! Icon_minitime5/2/2012, 8:47 pm

strawman, i seem to recall that we talked about an exchange months ago. ive got an extra male Krib, hes good looking with some eye-spot on his dorsal and caudal fin. he a 3rd wheel in the tank now. almost full grown in size, he was spawned on April 1st, 2011.

i try to get him and take a pic of him for you. i wont charge you anything except for shipping if you want him. im leaving for AZ tomorrow so i wont be able to get back to you until next week tho.
Back to top Go down
strawman1985
strawman1985

Shark gone nuts! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shark gone nuts!   Shark gone nuts! Icon_minitime5/2/2012, 8:50 pm

Yes we did, with everything been going on here I had forgotten about that. That sounds cool to me. I appreciate that, hope you have a fun trip to AZ!
Back to top Go down
Kasshan
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Kasshan

Shark gone nuts! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shark gone nuts!   Shark gone nuts! Icon_minitime5/2/2012, 8:54 pm

having a mating couple should stop the bullying and the two should rally together in defense of the area. silly question, but you got caves for the Kribs right?

ill PM to discuss details
Back to top Go down
Kasshan
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Kasshan

Shark gone nuts! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shark gone nuts!   Shark gone nuts! Icon_minitime5/2/2012, 8:57 pm

and i want to give this Krib a happy home cuz hes alone right now as his siblings have paired off and shunned him away.
Back to top Go down
strawman1985
strawman1985

Shark gone nuts! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shark gone nuts!   Shark gone nuts! Icon_minitime5/2/2012, 8:59 pm

I have a plastic tunnel that looks like wood, I had a pair breed in it before. That's really the only cave I have right now... I have a big piece of driftwood in a corner that she had claimed since the shark was chasing her. She can get between the glass and it. What kinda caves should I get? Never really had caves before. Aww poor guy, I bet he is lonely.
Back to top Go down
Kasshan
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Kasshan

Shark gone nuts! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shark gone nuts!   Shark gone nuts! Icon_minitime5/2/2012, 9:07 pm

well a halved coconut is my favorite with a little door cut out. cheapest one you get is from the grocery store, and they are a decent size. if you go to petstore and get a half coconut its awful small and expensive.

good way to clean the coconut is to
1. scrape everything clean inside with a spoon
2. dry the shell out in the sun for a day
3. scrape the inside again to get any leftovers ___
4. cut a triangular entrance looks like this ----> (_/\_)
5. then use some coarse sand paper for the inside and out

rinse and there u go, every krib ive ever had has always chosen the coconut when given a choice with any other style of cave.

Back to top Go down
Kasshan
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Kasshan

Shark gone nuts! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shark gone nuts!   Shark gone nuts! Icon_minitime5/2/2012, 9:08 pm

Oh wait i forgot... ive got an extra coconut. ill toss that in there as well for you
Back to top Go down
strawman1985
strawman1985

Shark gone nuts! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shark gone nuts!   Shark gone nuts! Icon_minitime5/2/2012, 9:10 pm

Oh cool, and thanks! I really appreciate it greatly!! :D
Back to top Go down
James0816
Captain
Captain
James0816

Favorite Fish: : Stingrays
Otocinclus Catfish
Kuhli Loaches

Shark gone nuts! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shark gone nuts!   Shark gone nuts! Icon_minitime5/3/2012, 8:06 am

This is just typical Red Tail behavior.
Back to top Go down
strawman1985
strawman1985

Shark gone nuts! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shark gone nuts!   Shark gone nuts! Icon_minitime5/3/2012, 10:23 am

Yea, he had no issues with her till this week...the dithers get chased slightly but he will stop...he was relentless with her.
Back to top Go down
Kasshan
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Kasshan

Shark gone nuts! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shark gone nuts!   Shark gone nuts! Icon_minitime5/3/2012, 5:41 pm

dithers are dithers. its because she is now #2 in the tank and the redtail knows this well growing up with her. the redtail hopefully will be cowed into submission with a pair of kribs
Back to top Go down
James0816
Captain
Captain
James0816

Otocinclus Catfish
Kuhli Loaches

Shark gone nuts! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shark gone nuts!   Shark gone nuts! Icon_minitime5/3/2012, 7:33 pm

Kasshan wrote:
the redtail hopefully will be cowed into submission with a pair of kribs

Not gunna happen. :) He'll get bigger and be a bigger pain. Again, it's their nature. There is something in their wiring that just sets them off. The way to really keep them in check, is to add another of its kind (redtail, rainbow, black, etc). But....be advised....don't do that unless you have a big enough tank or one will wind up dead.
Back to top Go down
strawman1985
strawman1985

Shark gone nuts! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shark gone nuts!   Shark gone nuts! Icon_minitime5/3/2012, 7:36 pm

My aquarium is a 55 gallon...funny thing is he leaves the cory's alone... I figured he would torment them also?
Back to top Go down
James0816
Captain
Captain
James0816

Otocinclus Catfish
Kuhli Loaches

Shark gone nuts! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shark gone nuts!   Shark gone nuts! Icon_minitime5/3/2012, 7:52 pm

Cories are bottom dwellers. He shouldn't pay them any attention.
Back to top Go down
strawman1985
strawman1985

Shark gone nuts! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shark gone nuts!   Shark gone nuts! Icon_minitime5/3/2012, 7:54 pm

ahh, so bottom dwellers and larger fish are all he will not mess with...He leaves the pearls and my 3 largest rainbows alone also.
Back to top Go down
Kasshan
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Kasshan

Shark gone nuts! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shark gone nuts!   Shark gone nuts! Icon_minitime5/3/2012, 8:22 pm

well i did say "hopefully" lol
Back to top Go down
James0816
Captain
Captain
James0816

Otocinclus Catfish
Kuhli Loaches

Shark gone nuts! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shark gone nuts!   Shark gone nuts! Icon_minitime5/4/2012, 5:59 am

lol
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Shark gone nuts! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shark gone nuts!   Shark gone nuts! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Shark gone nuts!
Page 1 of 1