UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

width of a tank, on a certin width of a stand question.

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
plantedtankdude
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
plantedtankdude

Favorite Fish: : all of them along with mermaids and me I'm a Pisces.

width of a tank, on a certin width of a stand question. Empty
PostSubject: width of a tank, on a certin width of a stand question.   width of a tank, on a certin width of a stand question. Icon_minitime5/16/2011, 11:50 am

I have a 58g 36x18x22 how would I go about using it on a stand that is 36x15? would it hanging over 3 inches with nothing to support those 3 inches put stress on the tank. would using 5/8 ply wood under the tank would, or using a sheet of ply would work. then build legs under the ply wood work?

Back to top Go down
Kasshan
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Kasshan

Favorite Fish: : Kribensis

PostSubject: Re: width of a tank, on a certin width of a stand question.   width of a tank, on a certin width of a stand question. Icon_minitime5/16/2011, 2:31 pm

most of the weight is obviosuly centralized, but even so letting it hang 1.5 inches on each side isnt something id feel comfortable with, but putting a strong piece of wood that can fully accomodate the base of the tank is ok. 5/8''plywood should be sufficiently strong. adding legs might make it wobbly, id go with solid carpentery and use brackets to attach the ply wood board the base of the stand. better safe than sorry
Back to top Go down
strikingthematch
Captain
Captain
strikingthematch

Favorite Fish: : Discus, Stingrays, Arowana, Rams, and Angels

PostSubject: Re: width of a tank, on a certin width of a stand question.   width of a tank, on a certin width of a stand question. Icon_minitime5/16/2011, 3:00 pm

I would not leave it unsupported though only because it would likely increase the amount of stress placed on another part of the tank.

Just use plywood like you said and if you don't feel comfortable with trying to make braces out of wood use heavy duty shelf braces at two/three points along the back.

With it being 18 inches wide I highly doubt that with the 3 inch overhang you will get any wobble out of it setting like this. Plywood that thick over such a short span will be extremely strong. The braces are just there for added support and if you counter sink some screws into the other 15 inches of top you will be set.

Back to top Go down
plantedtankdude
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
plantedtankdude

PostSubject: Re: width of a tank, on a certin width of a stand question.   width of a tank, on a certin width of a stand question. Icon_minitime5/16/2011, 5:02 pm

cool. I will think of something.. I have a whole bunch of tanks, and need to sell a few do to some medical stuff/bills. so I'm trying to figure out which tanks i want to keep and which ones i should sell...
Back to top Go down
strikingthematch
Captain
Captain
strikingthematch

Favorite Fish: : Discus, Stingrays, Arowana, Rams, and Angels

PostSubject: Re: width of a tank, on a certin width of a stand question.   width of a tank, on a certin width of a stand question. Icon_minitime5/16/2011, 5:19 pm

I hear ya! Good luck on selling you stuff and making out ok with the bills.
Back to top Go down
plantedtankdude
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
plantedtankdude

PostSubject: Re: width of a tank, on a certin width of a stand question.   width of a tank, on a certin width of a stand question. Icon_minitime5/16/2011, 10:00 pm

thanks... I think i might just slowly put a little by little money away till I can afford saltwater tank.. a guy traded me his 58g rr ready tank with a stand and canopy for my zoa plugs and red dart fish.... so i will put that a side till i got money to get rock and sand again.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: width of a tank, on a certin width of a stand question.   width of a tank, on a certin width of a stand question. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

width of a tank, on a certin width of a stand question.
Page 1 of 1