UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

tank size question? do they make this???

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
dcninja757
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class

Favorite Fish: : Fish

tank size question? do they make this??? Empty
PostSubject: tank size question? do they make this???   tank size question? do they make this??? Icon_minitime12/1/2010, 11:10 pm

do they make a 5ft tank?

i need a tank 5ft long by 14in wide by whatever height, bigger is better

do they make these? I'd love to get a bigger tank but due to the space in the house im kind of stuck using the stand I've got blah blah blah.

do they have this? can I get this somehow? etc etc...

*EDIT: my other question related to this is if I keep the 55 gallon, I'll have a 1ft space left for a tank. What's the largest tank they make for a 1 ft length by 14in wide?

Last edited by dcninja757 on 12/2/2010, 12:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Jeepluv77
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
Jeepluv77

Favorite Fish: : Species I've kept: Freshwater- Dwarf puffers and clown loaches. Saltwater- Volitans and Snowflake Moray

Species I'd love to keep one day- Freshwater- Rays. Saltwater- Bamboo/Cat Sharks

PostSubject: Re: tank size question? do they make this???   tank size question? do they make this??? Icon_minitime12/1/2010, 11:37 pm

I did a quick google search. Closest I came up with was 60 x 16, no 60 x14's. Where did you get the stand?
Back to top Go down
dcninja757
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class

PostSubject: Re: tank size question? do they make this???   tank size question? do they make this??? Icon_minitime12/1/2010, 11:50 pm

craigslist, guy custom built it to fit on his bar or something. it's 5ft long, but opnly 14in wide.
Back to top Go down
dcninja757
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class

PostSubject: Re: tank size question? do they make this???   tank size question? do they make this??? Icon_minitime12/1/2010, 11:51 pm

i wonder if i could run a 60x16 fishtank on the stand and just put ut on top it'll hang over an inch on each side, but that's not THAT bad right? lol

what size gallon did they call that tank?
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

Favorite Fish: : African Cichlids of all kinds.

PostSubject: Re: tank size question? do they make this???   tank size question? do they make this??? Icon_minitime12/2/2010, 12:14 am

That's a no no . If I were you I would build a stand and start stacking.
Back to top Go down
dcninja757
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class

PostSubject: Re: tank size question? do they make this???   tank size question? do they make this??? Icon_minitime12/2/2010, 12:16 am

i should probably leave my 55 alone, wife is against the stacking issue... my recourse at this point is to get the biggest saltwater setup she can live with LOL

I'm thinking I'd lke to use that last foot on my stand for a saltwater tank, but idunno what the biggest size is that I could get thats 12in x 14in x whatever height.
Back to top Go down
Jeepluv77
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
Jeepluv77

Favorite Fish: : Species I've kept: Freshwater- Dwarf puffers and clown loaches. Saltwater- Volitans and Snowflake Moray

Species I'd love to keep one day- Freshwater- Rays. Saltwater- Bamboo/Cat Sharks

PostSubject: Re: tank size question? do they make this???   tank size question? do they make this??? Icon_minitime12/2/2010, 12:26 am

It would be bad if it's resting on the glass that far in. I didn't catch the gallons on the 60 x 16 and can't find it again but there's a 60 x 18 x 20 and it's listed as 100 gallons. Keep in mind that a tank weighs about 10 pounds per gallon, give or take depending on setup variations. The water alone is approximately 8.5 pounds per gallon. Add one pound of sand and one pound of liverock per gallon as minimum desired amounts and you're quickly approaching half a ton for a 100 gallon tank. There's an equation to figure out the volume of any size tank but I can't remember what it is now.

Also, if you're working with a 12 in x 14 in maybe consider a 12 x 12 nano cube. You'll want that extra 2 inches between the tank anyway to be able to get rid of the inevitable salt creep. Also, don't bother with a very tall tank with that small a footprint. It'd be very difficult to stock. Keep in mind there are three levels to your water column. You'd be hard pressed to find itty bitty critters to occupy that upper level, anyway.
Back to top Go down
dcninja757
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class

PostSubject: Re: tank size question? do they make this???   tank size question? do they make this??? Icon_minitime12/2/2010, 12:37 am

what is salt creep? I want to get a smaller tank to try saltwater... trying to learn.

also as for the 12x12 nanocube that looks cool but why so expensive? why not a standard tank that will fit in that space?
Back to top Go down
Jeepluv77
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
Jeepluv77

PostSubject: Re: tank size question? do they make this???   tank size question? do they make this??? Icon_minitime12/2/2010, 12:52 am

Salt creep is when the salt from your tank slowly wanders over the surrounding area. It's easily kept in check if you stay on top of it, but if you let it go for awhile good luck! I'm really not sure why the cubes are so expensive. If it's acrylic that could be why. Is it seamless? Any bells and whistles? Could be a lot of things. Can't really know without looking at the one you're looking at.
Back to top Go down
dcninja757
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class

PostSubject: Re: tank size question? do they make this???   tank size question? do they make this??? Icon_minitime12/2/2010, 1:08 am

im going to try to get this one but i was hoping there would be a cheaper alternative...

http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3730+9017+21183&pcatid=21183
Back to top Go down
Jeepluv77
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
Jeepluv77

PostSubject: Re: tank size question? do they make this???   tank size question? do they make this??? Icon_minitime12/2/2010, 1:41 am

$300 is actually a really good price for that setup brand new. And it comes with the stand! Hmmmm...finish some of my ink...or buy a new tank? Decisions, decisions. Anywho, Dr. Foster and Smith is a decent place to buy from, at least in my experience. Pretty good pricing. One word of advice, however. If you're going to start out FOWLR I'd add some macroalgaes like culerpa to take up nutrients and chetamorpha wouldn't be a bad idea in the filteration. Both with use up the nitrates in the water before they can grow the bad algaes and diatoms. A lot of fish will nibble on the culerpa, too, to keep it's growth in check.
Back to top Go down
dcninja757
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class

PostSubject: Re: tank size question? do they make this???   tank size question? do they make this??? Icon_minitime12/2/2010, 1:53 am

I've got a really good tattoo guy if you need one in the area...
that's my fb if u wanna add me i've got my tattoo pics up there, he did my really awesome circuit board tattoo!

https://www.facebook.com/dreamcastninja

edit: oh yea fish stuff... currently i've got to save the money and then get the ok from the wife. we'll see. lol
Back to top Go down
Jeepluv77
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
Jeepluv77

PostSubject: Re: tank size question? do they make this???   tank size question? do they make this??? Icon_minitime12/2/2010, 1:56 am

I've got two guys at Ocean Mystique that have first dibs on some of my work because they started it. However, my husband and I will both be getting more so the reference would be much appreciated! My friend had given me a number for a guy that did his, which it turns out he's also the one that did my dad's 30+ years ago, but the guy never answered or called back.
Back to top Go down
dcninja757
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class

PostSubject: Re: tank size question? do they make this???   tank size question? do they make this??? Icon_minitime12/2/2010, 3:15 am

small world lol
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: tank size question? do they make this???   tank size question? do they make this??? Icon_minitime12/2/2010, 8:51 am

http://www.thekrib.com/TankHardware/size-chart.html
http://freshaquarium.about.com/od/aquariumsandstands/a/tanksizesweights.htm
http://alysta.com/books/fishtank.htm
http://www.repticzone.com/articles/tanksizes.html

All of those links show size weight and all sorts of characteristic's of different tank sizes.
Never ever put a tank on a stand that's too short, it will crack the tank over time.
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

Favorite Fish: : African Cichlids of all kinds.

PostSubject: Re: tank size question? do they make this???   tank size question? do they make this??? Icon_minitime12/2/2010, 9:17 am

Fosters and smith is good stuff.
Back to top Go down
alkomist
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
alkomist

Favorite Fish: :

┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘
┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘

PostSubject: Re: tank size question? do they make this???   tank size question? do they make this??? Icon_minitime12/2/2010, 10:04 am

dcninja757 wrote:
what is salt creep? I want to get a smaller tank to try saltwater... trying to learn.

also as for the 12x12 nanocube that looks cool but why so expensive? why not a standard tank that will fit in that space?

nano cubes are expemsive becuase they are AIO tanks!
AIO means All In One!
they have lil chambers in the back of the tank (sump)
they are reef ready tanks meaning they come with everything you need! (minus the sand rocks and water!
they have compact flourecent lights for corals! they have an overflow box and the return pump for flow! and all the filter media you need for the chambers!

that and the corners are rounded! not all are acrylic!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: tank size question? do they make this???   tank size question? do they make this??? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

tank size question? do they make this???
Page 1 of 1