UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

Sponge Filter for 100G Cichlid Tank

Go down 
+4
ornate12
MarkM
CajunGator
brokeashell
8 posters
AuthorMessage
brokeashell
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class
brokeashell

Favorite Fish: : Peacock Cichlids

Sponge Filter for 100G Cichlid Tank Empty
PostSubject: Sponge Filter for 100G Cichlid Tank   Sponge Filter for 100G Cichlid Tank Icon_minitime4/18/2011, 4:30 pm

I'm going to use sponge filters in my 100G Malawi Tank. I'm going to have around 40-50 cichlids in the tank, my question is...

How many 125G rated sponges should I use?

I'm thinking 3-4 sponges.

Hydro Sponge 5

BTW thats just a link to the sponge... I'm going to buy them from kensfish.com

Last edited by brokeashell on 4/19/2011, 8:09 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Made link more visible.)
Back to top Go down
CajunGator
CajunGator

Favorite Fish: : Cichlids, WC Syn Petricola, Shellies, Festae, Mbu Puffers, Koi Angels, ABN, Piranha, Mermaids

PostSubject: Re: Sponge Filter for 100G Cichlid Tank   Sponge Filter for 100G Cichlid Tank Icon_minitime4/18/2011, 4:32 pm

i would put five also.....
Back to top Go down
MarkM
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
MarkM

Favorite Fish: : If it swims and has fins and gills, I like it.

PostSubject: Re: Sponge Filter for 100G Cichlid Tank   Sponge Filter for 100G Cichlid Tank Icon_minitime4/18/2011, 4:52 pm

I would run at least 4 minimum with that many fish. I would also probably run a hob filter to help with mechanical filtration.
Back to top Go down
ornate12
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
ornate12

Favorite Fish: : Ornate Bichirs, Synodontis Angelicus, Filamentosus barb,
Aristochromis Christyi, Ptychochromis Grandidieri and all other Madagascar cichlids.

PostSubject: Re: Sponge Filter for 100G Cichlid Tank   Sponge Filter for 100G Cichlid Tank Icon_minitime4/18/2011, 5:19 pm

Sponge Filter for 100G Cichlid Tank 858205 4 or 5 plus a hob would give you added
water movement with that many fish
Back to top Go down
williemcd
Major
Major
williemcd

Favorite Fish: : Angels and hopefully soon Discus

PostSubject: Re: Sponge Filter for 100G Cichlid Tank   Sponge Filter for 100G Cichlid Tank Icon_minitime4/18/2011, 5:41 pm

Ok ok.. .now what is a Hob filter?.. I'm in the process of setting up a 15 for 1/2 dozen discus and about 10 angels plus some cards for distraction... I'd love to find an inexpensive filtration system... Bill
Back to top Go down
williemcd
Major
Major
williemcd

PostSubject: Re: Sponge Filter for 100G Cichlid Tank   Sponge Filter for 100G Cichlid Tank Icon_minitime4/18/2011, 5:41 pm

Oops.. Hang Off Back?
Back to top Go down
Ben
Ben

Favorite Fish: : Venustus and Catfish

PostSubject: Re: Sponge Filter for 100G Cichlid Tank   Sponge Filter for 100G Cichlid Tank Icon_minitime4/18/2011, 7:33 pm

Yes a hang on/off back filter.
Back to top Go down
jessecichlidguy
jessecichlidguy

Favorite Fish: : cichlids cichlids cichlids

PostSubject: Re: Sponge Filter for 100G Cichlid Tank   Sponge Filter for 100G Cichlid Tank Icon_minitime4/18/2011, 8:55 pm

broke
That tank is going to be overstocked

i run 2 sponge filters in my 125 and dont have any perimeter problems
Back to top Go down
williemcd
Major
Major
williemcd

PostSubject: Re: Sponge Filter for 100G Cichlid Tank   Sponge Filter for 100G Cichlid Tank Icon_minitime4/18/2011, 8:57 pm

just noticed my 2 key wasn't working.. it's for 6 discus, 10 or so angels and the cards in a 125 G....
Back to top Go down
brokeashell
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class
brokeashell

PostSubject: Re: Sponge Filter for 100G Cichlid Tank   Sponge Filter for 100G Cichlid Tank Icon_minitime4/19/2011, 8:06 am

jessecichlidguy wrote:
broke
That tank is going to be overstocked

i run 2 sponge filters in my 125 and dont have any perimeter problems

How many cichlids to you keep in your 125G?

I was told I could keep about 20-25 cichlids in a 55G. How many should I keep in a 100G then?
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

Favorite Fish: : African Cichlids of all kinds.

PostSubject: Re: Sponge Filter for 100G Cichlid Tank   Sponge Filter for 100G Cichlid Tank Icon_minitime4/19/2011, 8:11 am

Overstocking is good. Depends on what Cichlids you have though. YOu can't put 35 Frontosa in a 110G but you can put 35 Demasoni. Just depends on size and attitude.
Back to top Go down
jessecichlidguy
jessecichlidguy

PostSubject: Re: Sponge Filter for 100G Cichlid Tank   Sponge Filter for 100G Cichlid Tank Icon_minitime4/19/2011, 8:13 am

i have 22 but mine are from 4-6 inches
Back to top Go down
brokeashell
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class
brokeashell

PostSubject: Re: Sponge Filter for 100G Cichlid Tank   Sponge Filter for 100G Cichlid Tank Icon_minitime4/19/2011, 8:25 am

KMX wrote:
Overstocking is good. Depends on what Cichlids you have though. YOu can't put 35 Frontosa in a 110G but you can put 35 Demasoni. Just depends on size and attitude.

Peacocks mainly. 4-6 inches.

Since it is a community tank, only fry deemed worthy by mother nature will be allowed to live! boxer

I was thinking about using my 55G to breed lemon jakes. chicken dance
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

Favorite Fish: : African Cichlids of all kinds.

PostSubject: Re: Sponge Filter for 100G Cichlid Tank   Sponge Filter for 100G Cichlid Tank Icon_minitime4/19/2011, 8:38 am

Well if you are doing peacoks different species. Absoulty no need to put females in the tank. (hybrids could come about)

When you picture a 110G peacock tank I am sure you have a picture placed in your head of this big nice tank full of vibrant colors b/c of the peacock. Well actually some of the peacocks will lack in color and that will be b/c of the dominate peacock will not allow them to match him in color. Some will color up real nice but not all.

I would not put more then 15-20 Peacocks in, Over a few years time the males will be a very nice 6" and more aggresive. I would overstock with Mbuna and peacocks. For the Mbuna lots of low rock and nice sand to dig in.

Back to top Go down
jessecichlidguy
jessecichlidguy

PostSubject: Re: Sponge Filter for 100G Cichlid Tank   Sponge Filter for 100G Cichlid Tank Icon_minitime4/19/2011, 8:57 am

Excellent advice Kory
Back to top Go down
CajunGator
CajunGator

Favorite Fish: : Cichlids, WC Syn Petricola, Shellies, Festae, Mbu Puffers, Koi Angels, ABN, Piranha, Mermaids

PostSubject: Re: Sponge Filter for 100G Cichlid Tank   Sponge Filter for 100G Cichlid Tank Icon_minitime4/19/2011, 11:10 am

here is a couple of vids of my buddys 240g all male peacock and hap tank...
soon this is how your tank will look with your all Males:

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sponge Filter for 100G Cichlid Tank   Sponge Filter for 100G Cichlid Tank Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Sponge Filter for 100G Cichlid Tank
Page 1 of 1