UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

One more problem/Q

Go down 
+3
Keelo
SchutzhundJunkie
zeketaz
7 posters
AuthorMessage
zeketaz
Sergeant
Sergeant
zeketaz

Favorite Fish: : Don't have a favorite to many of them "catch my eye" lol.

One more problem/Q Empty
PostSubject: One more problem/Q   One more problem/Q Icon_minitime2/13/2011, 6:23 pm

Today when I got home I looked in my tank and saw like 1" long white see through things floating all over my tank. There was a bunch of it stuck to the filter. Then I saw one of my fish pooping the weird stuff. Could it be worms?
Back to top Go down

One more problem/Q Empty
PostSubject: Re: One more problem/Q   One more problem/Q Icon_minitime2/13/2011, 7:00 pm

yeap! internal parasite get a medicated food and start feedind asap.
Back to top Go down
zeketaz
Sergeant
Sergeant
zeketaz

One more problem/Q Empty
PostSubject: Re: One more problem/Q   One more problem/Q Icon_minitime2/13/2011, 7:30 pm

Man so not what I wanted to hear :( would general cure work for it or just do the medicated food?
Back to top Go down
SchutzhundJunkie
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
SchutzhundJunkie

Favorite Fish: : I really love the big boys, but I have a place in my heart for all fish. I guess my current favorite is my Chocolate (turning Orange) Oranda.

One more problem/Q Empty
PostSubject: Re: One more problem/Q   One more problem/Q Icon_minitime2/13/2011, 7:56 pm

This is a good thread actually. Nasty but good.

I want to de-worm all of our fish but I am unsure. My puffers are supposedly wild caught amd scaless and one of my daughters cichlids hasn't been growing right. I figured it would be good to do the goldfish as preventative. I am not in a hurry but would like to do it by the end of the month.

So I started reasrching online. I do have topical ivermectin (for my dogs but generally uesd for cattle) I read that some people use it. Other say medicated food... and yet other still use something else called metrodiazanole (vets prescribe) for intestinal and bacterial infections for dogs- ((I also have this on hand)) I am still researching and even more confused.

Feed back would be most welcome One more problem/Q 455499

Thanks,

Julie
Back to top Go down
Keelo
Major
Major
Keelo

Favorite Fish: : Mollys, BN plec, and Thoracochromis brauschi

One more problem/Q Empty
PostSubject: Re: One more problem/Q   One more problem/Q Icon_minitime2/13/2011, 8:02 pm

moved to disease and disaster for ya :)
Back to top Go down
zeketaz
Sergeant
Sergeant
zeketaz

One more problem/Q Empty
PostSubject: Re: One more problem/Q   One more problem/Q Icon_minitime2/13/2011, 8:13 pm

Thanks Keelo.

Schutz interesting info you're hearing about for worming.
Back to top Go down
zeketaz
Sergeant
Sergeant
zeketaz

One more problem/Q Empty
PostSubject: Re: One more problem/Q   One more problem/Q Icon_minitime2/23/2011, 8:04 am

Well I've been using General Cure and going the garlic food for a week or more now and my EBJD still has the white stuff coming out of it. What should I do next?
Back to top Go down

One more problem/Q Empty
PostSubject: Re: One more problem/Q   One more problem/Q Icon_minitime2/23/2011, 8:22 am

I've used this with some success.

http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=12788
Back to top Go down
zeketaz
Sergeant
Sergeant
zeketaz

One more problem/Q Empty
PostSubject: Re: One more problem/Q   One more problem/Q Icon_minitime2/23/2011, 9:07 am

Awesome will try it. Thank you
Back to top Go down
SchutzhundJunkie
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
SchutzhundJunkie

Favorite Fish: : I really love the big boys, but I have a place in my heart for all fish. I guess my current favorite is my Chocolate (turning Orange) Oranda.

One more problem/Q Empty
PostSubject: Re: One more problem/Q   One more problem/Q Icon_minitime2/23/2011, 12:38 pm

Did you consider that these white things could be nemotodes? Very common in new aquariums and can be caused by over feeding and or come in with live plants/gravel.

http://www.theaquariumwiki.com/Nematode

Julie

PS/ I still haven't de-wored the tank. I decided that the pills I have are not what I want. I will be looking for a medicated food/ or powder to soak the food in.

Back to top Go down
zeketaz
Sergeant
Sergeant
zeketaz

One more problem/Q Empty
PostSubject: Re: One more problem/Q   One more problem/Q Icon_minitime2/23/2011, 2:09 pm

Don't think it's nemotodes the things I see look different than what is in the pic from the link. Also whatever it is seems to be making only the jacks lethargic. I got 2 that sit at the bottom of the tank most of the time instead of hang with the group and the only peck at their food and before they would gobble it up. I'm also having a really bad algae outbreak. Not sure if it could be causing my probs. Plan on doing a blackout but want to make sure my fish will be ok.
Back to top Go down
zeketaz
Sergeant
Sergeant
zeketaz

One more problem/Q Empty
PostSubject: Re: One more problem/Q   One more problem/Q Icon_minitime2/24/2011, 12:17 pm

Alright another new discovery. Went to my LFS and the owner said the fish could have a blockage. To try and feed him blood worms and black mosquito larvae. Well I tried the blood worms and he wants to eat sooo bad poor thing. It gets them in it's mouth and just can't seem to swallow no matter how hard it tries and ends up just spitting it out. Any suggestions?
Back to top Go down
pillierox1
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
pillierox1

Favorite Fish: : okay i dont know wat my fav anymore just want more lol

One more problem/Q Empty
PostSubject: Re: One more problem/Q   One more problem/Q Icon_minitime2/24/2011, 12:28 pm

use fresh garlic mixed with bloodworms. i do that for my discus once a week
Back to top Go down
zeketaz
Sergeant
Sergeant
zeketaz

One more problem/Q Empty
PostSubject: Re: One more problem/Q   One more problem/Q Icon_minitime2/24/2011, 12:30 pm

Tried but it can't swallow the blood worms. I even tried blood worms with no garlic to see if it was the garlic it didn't like and still couldn't get any down
Back to top Go down

One more problem/Q Empty
PostSubject: Re: One more problem/Q   One more problem/Q Icon_minitime2/24/2011, 1:01 pm

If it's a blockage try frozen peas thawed out and smashed but if he cannot swallow it may be to late.
Back to top Go down
James0816
Captain
Captain
James0816

Favorite Fish: : Stingrays
Otocinclus Catfish
Kuhli Loaches

One more problem/Q Empty
PostSubject: Re: One more problem/Q   One more problem/Q Icon_minitime2/24/2011, 1:36 pm

FishVixen wrote:
If it's a blockage try frozen peas thawed out and smashed but if he cannot swallow it may be to late.

Doesn't sound good.

The question is ... is he pooing? Possible parasite as well by your description.
Back to top Go down
zeketaz
Sergeant
Sergeant
zeketaz

One more problem/Q Empty
PostSubject: Re: One more problem/Q   One more problem/Q Icon_minitime2/24/2011, 1:42 pm

He's pooping white stringy stuff and I have dosed 2 time with general cure and I've been putting garlic in the tank water and soaking the food. I never see any of my fish poo though
Back to top Go down
Elrollo
Major
Major
Elrollo

Favorite Fish: : Blue Acaras...first fish I ever breed still have a soft spot for them

One more problem/Q Empty
PostSubject: Re: One more problem/Q   One more problem/Q Icon_minitime2/25/2011, 3:00 am

1. Usually fish get blockages by feeding them too much meat try the peas see if that helps.
2. Whats your water chemistry look like. Bad water will cause fish to become lethargic and not eat.
3. Blood worms..Are these the little bettle larva worms or the ones people use to fish with. If it is the larger worm the jacks might be reacting to invader stimuli so it looks like they are trying to eat when all they are doing is protecting their territories. Jacks usually will eat what ever they get in their mouth ( I have seen them die with goldfish sticking out of their gills and two tails sticking out of its mouth) so he might just not like what the worm taste like.
4. Are your fish bloated swollen in the gut area this is one sign of blockages...what were you feeding your fish before all this happened? Are there any other fish in the tank with you jacks? Are they showing the same signs?
5. Is the general cure mlachite green or methenol blue or something along those lines? Or is it an antibiotic. If it is an antibiotic watch your water chemistry some will wipe out your benificial bacteria causing you to cycle all over again. Most medications will recomend doing water changes before during and after treatment...this usually does not hurt.
6. If you search disease on this website someone posted a chart a while back that walks you thru step by step which disease it could be just by asking yes/no questions( I will try to link it later...too lazy ATM)

These are just a few of the basic questions that need to be answered to give us a better Idea in what you are dealing with. It sucks when your fish get sick happens to all of us at one time or another. Hopefully we can get your jacks back up and around.

Back to top Go down
zeketaz
Sergeant
Sergeant
zeketaz

One more problem/Q Empty
PostSubject: Re: One more problem/Q   One more problem/Q Icon_minitime2/25/2011, 5:15 pm

I have yet to try the peas...worked today

My water chemistry was great last week haven't tested it this week. It is really green from an algae outbreak :(

Not sure what Blood worms I'm using. Got them from the petshop in the freezer over by the fish

None of my fish are bloated nt even the sick jack. I have 2 krib adults with fry, 3 kuhli loaches, 9 oddessa barbs, 4 red phantom tetras, and 4 total EBJD. Everyone but 2 EBJD are very active and healthy. I feed spirulina 20 and on occasion the bloodworms.

Not sure which General Cure it was either, but I did water change between and after treatment

Back to top Go down
James0816
Captain
Captain
James0816

Favorite Fish: : Stingrays
Otocinclus Catfish
Kuhli Loaches

One more problem/Q Empty
PostSubject: Re: One more problem/Q   One more problem/Q Icon_minitime2/25/2011, 5:20 pm

Jungle Labs makes a good parasite med from what I understand. If there are no signs of bloating and he is pooing (white stringy poo), sounding more like a parasite to me. I'm not a disease expert though so don't quote me on that.
Back to top Go down
2SciCrazed
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
2SciCrazed

Favorite Fish: : Anything that's not belly up!

One more problem/Q Empty
PostSubject: Re: One more problem/Q   One more problem/Q Icon_minitime2/27/2011, 3:13 pm

Use a good general anti-parasitic. Can't hurt - and might rule that out. I use the Jungle Fizz tab parasite clear. Just make sure to take the carbon out.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

One more problem/Q Empty
PostSubject: Re: One more problem/Q   One more problem/Q Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

One more problem/Q
Page 1 of 1