UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

NEED HELP!!! GSP PROBLEM!!!

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
ILIKEFISH
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
ILIKEFISH

Favorite Fish: : Freshwater- Gourami
Brackish- GSP
Saltwater- Blue Tang

NEED HELP!!! GSP PROBLEM!!! Empty
PostSubject: NEED HELP!!! GSP PROBLEM!!!   NEED HELP!!! GSP PROBLEM!!! Icon_minitime12/16/2010, 5:11 pm

just got a green spotted puffer 2 days ago, has been doing fine until today. He goes in and out of normal behavior and his colors are inverted! I've never had a puffer of mine do this before, and i've many over the years, any help will be much appreciated.

and yes he does eat, and he seems fine when doing so
Back to top Go down
ILIKEFISH
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
ILIKEFISH

Brackish- GSP
Saltwater- Blue Tang

PostSubject: Re: NEED HELP!!! GSP PROBLEM!!!   NEED HELP!!! GSP PROBLEM!!! Icon_minitime12/16/2010, 9:51 pm

anyone?
Back to top Go down
elfwolfe
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
elfwolfe

Favorite Fish: : graduating from community fish to aggressive fish (cichlids), but will always have a soft spot for my krbs and betta's.

PostSubject: Re: NEED HELP!!! GSP PROBLEM!!!   NEED HELP!!! GSP PROBLEM!!! Icon_minitime12/16/2010, 10:23 pm

I have never had GSP's so I cant help you. Have you checked the water chemistry? Are there any other fish in the tank? Those would be the first thing I would look at since normally color changes (to me) would indicate some sort of stresser.
Back to top Go down
ILIKEFISH
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
ILIKEFISH

Brackish- GSP
Saltwater- Blue Tang

PostSubject: Re: NEED HELP!!! GSP PROBLEM!!!   NEED HELP!!! GSP PROBLEM!!! Icon_minitime12/16/2010, 10:58 pm

water is at 1.010 on the hydrometer and there is only one other gsp, got them together and they never leave each other's side. water has only had the two in it for 3 days now, so waste levels are low
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: NEED HELP!!! GSP PROBLEM!!!   NEED HELP!!! GSP PROBLEM!!! Icon_minitime12/17/2010, 12:45 am

Color reversion usually if I'm not mistaken in brackish fish is a growth sign Sort of like the teenage years in humans, Don't quote me folks I haven't dealt with a brackish tank in over 25 years. lol!
Back to top Go down
Elrollo
Major
Major
Elrollo

Favorite Fish: : Blue Acaras...first fish I ever breed still have a soft spot for them

PostSubject: Re: NEED HELP!!! GSP PROBLEM!!!   NEED HELP!!! GSP PROBLEM!!! Icon_minitime12/17/2010, 12:47 am

what were the water conditions where you got him at???is pH the same did they add salt...3days you can spike ammonia unlikely but poassible. How long is the tank light on for. Is the water temp the same?? All of these factors can stress the fish out.

What do you mean by goes in and out of normal behavior..is he doing head/tail stands (bad sign)? Does he show rapid breathing? Is the other puffer nipping him?
Back to top Go down
ILIKEFISH
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
ILIKEFISH

Brackish- GSP
Saltwater- Blue Tang

PostSubject: Re: NEED HELP!!! GSP PROBLEM!!!   NEED HELP!!! GSP PROBLEM!!! Icon_minitime12/17/2010, 1:06 pm

I have heard that young puffers can have this color swap happen before as well, and as far as i can tell that must be it.

As stated before, the water levels are tested and right on, and they do not pick on each other whatsoever, the "in and out of normal behavior" i was talking about was the color changes and normal activity/ inactivity swimming around the tank. His buddy shares none of his symptoms and appears to be normal and healthy. The light is on 10 off for 14. water is the same in both the brackish as well as my freshwater as the shop which I buy all of my fish from. water temp is one degree warmer.
Back to top Go down
ILIKEFISH
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
ILIKEFISH

Brackish- GSP
Saltwater- Blue Tang

PostSubject: Re: NEED HELP!!! GSP PROBLEM!!!   NEED HELP!!! GSP PROBLEM!!! Icon_minitime12/17/2010, 3:00 pm

update:

so now he is swimming around, but his back fin is almost always curled to the right and his back fin seems to be turning a dark color. could he have internal parasites?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: NEED HELP!!! GSP PROBLEM!!!   NEED HELP!!! GSP PROBLEM!!! Icon_minitime12/17/2010, 3:32 pm

Oh not good! could be parasites. Sound more like disease than water conditions.
Back to top Go down
ILIKEFISH
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
ILIKEFISH

Brackish- GSP
Saltwater- Blue Tang

PostSubject: Re: NEED HELP!!! GSP PROBLEM!!!   NEED HELP!!! GSP PROBLEM!!! Icon_minitime12/17/2010, 3:40 pm

i hate buying sick fish.....
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: NEED HELP!!! GSP PROBLEM!!!   NEED HELP!!! GSP PROBLEM!!! Icon_minitime12/17/2010, 4:06 pm

I just googled green spotted puffer diseases and it sounds like stress related. Recommended treatment in most sites are tertacycline or maricyn-2 to prevent infections or treat infections already started from stress.
Back to top Go down
ILIKEFISH
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
ILIKEFISH

Brackish- GSP
Saltwater- Blue Tang

PostSubject: Re: NEED HELP!!! GSP PROBLEM!!!   NEED HELP!!! GSP PROBLEM!!! Icon_minitime12/17/2010, 4:16 pm

ya i've seen those but i feel like it may be internal since he seems normal otherwise and his buddy is totally fine
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: NEED HELP!!! GSP PROBLEM!!!   NEED HELP!!! GSP PROBLEM!!! Icon_minitime12/17/2010, 4:21 pm

His buddy may not be stressed. What are your parameter level (Ammonia, nitrite and nitrates)?
Back to top Go down
ILIKEFISH
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
ILIKEFISH

Brackish- GSP
Saltwater- Blue Tang

PostSubject: Re: NEED HELP!!! GSP PROBLEM!!!   NEED HELP!!! GSP PROBLEM!!! Icon_minitime12/17/2010, 5:17 pm

all are perfect with a ph of 6
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: NEED HELP!!! GSP PROBLEM!!!   NEED HELP!!! GSP PROBLEM!!! Icon_minitime12/17/2010, 5:55 pm

From my understand they like higher PH of 7.5 or above.
Back to top Go down
ILIKEFISH
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
ILIKEFISH

Brackish- GSP
Saltwater- Blue Tang

PostSubject: Re: NEED HELP!!! GSP PROBLEM!!!   NEED HELP!!! GSP PROBLEM!!! Icon_minitime12/17/2010, 8:05 pm

i'll bump it then and see if that helps
Back to top Go down
ILIKEFISH
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
ILIKEFISH

Brackish- GSP
Saltwater- Blue Tang

PostSubject: Re: NEED HELP!!! GSP PROBLEM!!!   NEED HELP!!! GSP PROBLEM!!! Icon_minitime12/17/2010, 11:01 pm

update:
observing him from a distance he is fine, great color and very active. it seem that only when i'm up close to the tank he shows these signs of stress or sickness. could it be me just being close to the tank that is stressing him? i don't do anything that would stress him other than looking at him. this is without a doubt the weirdest puffer i have ever had.
Back to top Go down
ILIKEFISH
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
ILIKEFISH

Brackish- GSP
Saltwater- Blue Tang

PostSubject: Re: NEED HELP!!! GSP PROBLEM!!!   NEED HELP!!! GSP PROBLEM!!! Icon_minitime12/20/2010, 1:19 pm

update: his tail fin is now turning black and he remains a grey-ish color. he doesn't have a caved belly or black-belly and he eats just fine. the rest of the time he just sits on the bottom of the tank. His friend is still doing just fine. Water is still spot on. what else besides stress/parasites could this mean?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: NEED HELP!!! GSP PROBLEM!!!   NEED HELP!!! GSP PROBLEM!!! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

NEED HELP!!! GSP PROBLEM!!!
Page 1 of 1