UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.

Water looks green ???

Go down 
+4
Petersmonkey
wblueus
James0816
zeketaz
8 posters
AuthorMessage
zeketaz
Sergeant
Sergeant
zeketaz

Favorite Fish: : Don't have a favorite to many of them "catch my eye" lol.

Water looks green ??? Empty
PostSubject: Water looks green ???   Water looks green ??? Icon_minitime2/13/2011, 3:36 pm

I've been doing water changes and lately my water looks green. Right now it looks cloudy and green. I did a decent size water change yesterday and also rinsed my filter in old tank water. I did a test on water (don't have a phosphate kit though) and got following results:

Ph-6.4
Ammonia-0
Nitrite-0
Nitrate-20

Am I going through a cycle or what..totally lost and confused
Back to top Go down
James0816
Captain
Captain
James0816

Favorite Fish: : Stingrays
Otocinclus Catfish
Kuhli Loaches

PostSubject: Re: Water looks green ???   Water looks green ??? Icon_minitime2/13/2011, 3:52 pm

Sounds like an algae bloom to me. Draw a glass of water, if it's green...algae.

Three day complete black out will take care of that.
Back to top Go down
zeketaz
Sergeant
Sergeant
zeketaz

PostSubject: Re: Water looks green ???   Water looks green ??? Icon_minitime2/13/2011, 3:59 pm

Ok..if it is algae bloom will 3day blackout harm the fry?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Water looks green ???   Water looks green ??? Icon_minitime2/13/2011, 4:13 pm

Nope, Just keep the lights out and cover the tank in a blanket, Do not feed or peek during the 3 days. The fish will be fine.
Back to top Go down
wblueus
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Favorite Fish: : cichlids

PostSubject: Re: Water looks green ???   Water looks green ??? Icon_minitime2/13/2011, 4:53 pm

AA brands green killing machine a internal uv sterilizer will clear the green water in a hurry
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Water looks green ???   Water looks green ??? Icon_minitime2/13/2011, 5:16 pm

yes and the pocket book. Sometime LFS will rent the out you may want to check around.
Back to top Go down
wblueus
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

PostSubject: Re: Water looks green ???   Water looks green ??? Icon_minitime2/13/2011, 6:59 pm

lol my fish take allllllllllllll my money LOL
Back to top Go down
zeketaz
Sergeant
Sergeant
zeketaz

PostSubject: Re: Water looks green ???   Water looks green ??? Icon_minitime2/13/2011, 7:31 pm

LOL well green water seems the least of my probs now Water looks green ??? 196631
Back to top Go down
wblueus
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

PostSubject: Re: Water looks green ???   Water looks green ??? Icon_minitime2/13/2011, 7:50 pm

what size tank??
Back to top Go down
zeketaz
Sergeant
Sergeant
zeketaz

PostSubject: Re: Water looks green ???   Water looks green ??? Icon_minitime2/13/2011, 8:06 pm

75 gall
Back to top Go down
wblueus
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

PostSubject: Re: Water looks green ???   Water looks green ??? Icon_minitime2/13/2011, 8:13 pm

you would have to get the 24 watt one then its like $100.....Mines a 55gal I have never had green water though how many plants do you have?
Back to top Go down
zeketaz
Sergeant
Sergeant
zeketaz

PostSubject: Re: Water looks green ???   Water looks green ??? Icon_minitime2/13/2011, 8:15 pm

I have a few plants, but not enough. I started having probs after I tried fertz in the tank. I have never used them in the past and now I know why.
Back to top Go down
wblueus
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

PostSubject: Re: Water looks green ???   Water looks green ??? Icon_minitime2/13/2011, 8:21 pm

sometimes its best to use only half what the bottle says i think when it tells you how much to dose they have in mind that your tank is full of plants
Back to top Go down
Petersmonkey
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
Petersmonkey

Favorite Fish: : Angels

PostSubject: Re: Water looks green ???   Water looks green ??? Icon_minitime2/13/2011, 8:28 pm

Check ur lights..... If u use regular Light Bulbs the Alge will bloom fast...
Back to top Go down
plantedtankdude
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
plantedtankdude

Favorite Fish: : all of them along with mermaids and me I'm a Pisces.

PostSubject: Re: Water looks green ???   Water looks green ??? Icon_minitime2/13/2011, 9:02 pm

green water = algae bloom you have coming from some where in your tank.. also how old are your bulbs? also start of lightly on the ferts. also stuff the tank like crazy the plants will out compete the algae for nutrients. also how long are the lights on for? if they are on a timer. I would look in to one. not expesnive 5-10 dollars at wallmart/wally world, target, ace hardware, home depot, lowes etc..

lighting period at first only need to be 6-8 hours. 10 hours is plenty. I have mine from 10:00 - 8.
Back to top Go down
2SciCrazed
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
2SciCrazed

Favorite Fish: : Anything that's not belly up!

PostSubject: Re: Water looks green ???   Water looks green ??? Icon_minitime2/14/2011, 9:09 pm

New lighting will also cause a bloom. If it's green water, your best bet is a UV. You only have to plug it in when the water clouds - so the original bulb will last for years. Trying the darkness trick will work for a short period - but enough will survive to create another bloom down the road.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Water looks green ???   Water looks green ??? Icon_minitime2/14/2011, 9:48 pm

You can just let it be. It does no harm and will clear on its own. It takes a while and looks gross but does no harm whatsoever to the fish.

If you can deal with it leaving it be is the best thing to do.
Back to top Go down
Dr. Who
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

PostSubject: Re: Water looks green ???   Water looks green ??? Icon_minitime2/14/2011, 11:08 pm

You should not do large water changes AND clean your filter.
Back to top Go down
James0816
Captain
Captain
James0816

Favorite Fish: : Stingrays
Otocinclus Catfish
Kuhli Loaches

PostSubject: Re: Water looks green ???   Water looks green ??? Icon_minitime2/15/2011, 6:05 am

2SciCrazed wrote:
Trying the darkness trick will work for a short period - but enough will survive to create another bloom down the road.

All the tanks I have dealt with regarding algae blooms, have not had any reoccurances of it after a three black out. Turn the lights off and completely cover the tank with a large towel or sheet.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Water looks green ???   Water looks green ??? Icon_minitime2/15/2011, 10:10 am

I've never had a reorcurrance either from a 3 day total black out.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Water looks green ???   Water looks green ??? Icon_minitime2/15/2011, 10:11 am

I always let it be.... Looks bad for a while but the fish don't mind one bit.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Water looks green ???   Water looks green ??? Icon_minitime2/15/2011, 10:21 am

some fish actually thrive better during it and get plump. lol!
Back to top Go down
bigmckyfan
Private First Class
Private First Class
bigmckyfan

Favorite Fish: : Cichlids

PostSubject: Re: Water looks green ???   Water looks green ??? Icon_minitime2/17/2011, 7:52 pm

I just went through the exact same thing in my tank. I did a 50% water change for 7 days in a row and did not turn on the lights to the tank. I had crystal clear water by the time I was done. Hope this helps you!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Water looks green ???   Water looks green ??? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Water looks green ???
Page 1 of 1