UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

Using the gravel vac

Go down 
+2
elfwolfe
wblueus
6 posters
AuthorMessage
wblueus
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Favorite Fish: : cichlids

Using the gravel vac Empty
PostSubject: Using the gravel vac   Using the gravel vac Icon_minitime1/31/2011, 12:44 am

Would like to hear everyones opinion on the best way to vacuum the gravel. I always go over the top lightly then go underneth all the way to the bottom. Some say not to go to the bottom but with gravel especially the larger kind fish waste and everything else can find its way to the very bottom of the aquarium. I have never had any prob with disturbing the bacteria by going to the bottom (since it sticks to the gravel anyways). I vac twice a month but only vac the bottom once out of those 2 times.......
Back to top Go down
elfwolfe
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
elfwolfe

Favorite Fish: : graduating from community fish to aggressive fish (cichlids), but will always have a soft spot for my krbs and betta's.

PostSubject: Re: Using the gravel vac   Using the gravel vac Icon_minitime1/31/2011, 1:34 am

I vac down to the bottom... but I only do about half the tank because by the time I get to halfway, I am already at 20% of the water (275 gal tank), then next time I do the other half.
Back to top Go down
lifeisgood
Captain
Captain
lifeisgood

Favorite Fish: : My Favorites are the Pleco's and Cory Cats . BUT , I have 44 running Tanks at this time . I keep 3 kinds of Shellies , several types of Pleco's ( mostly Ancistrus ), Cichlids , Crays , Angels , LB's , and some local species .

PostSubject: Re: Using the gravel vac   Using the gravel vac Icon_minitime1/31/2011, 5:28 am

We vacuum to the bottom . I do 25-30% water changes weekly . On my Pleco breeding tanks I do the water changes every 2 to 3 days . You will NOT disturb the Bacteria at all.
Back to top Go down
James0816
Captain
Captain
James0816

Favorite Fish: : Stingrays
Otocinclus Catfish
Kuhli Loaches

PostSubject: Re: Using the gravel vac   Using the gravel vac Icon_minitime1/31/2011, 6:45 am

Only do a vac when the TDS is high. At that point, I don't worry about hitting the top. I just plunge my DIY vac into the substrate and go from there. ;o)
Back to top Go down
MarkM
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
MarkM

Favorite Fish: : If it swims and has fins and gills, I like it.

PostSubject: Re: Using the gravel vac   Using the gravel vac Icon_minitime1/31/2011, 7:10 am

All the way to the bottom, except in my planted tank.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Using the gravel vac   Using the gravel vac Icon_minitime1/31/2011, 8:55 am

All the way to the bottom!
The planted tanks only get a hover.
Back to top Go down
Elrollo
Major
Major
Elrollo

Favorite Fish: : Blue Acaras...first fish I ever breed still have a soft spot for them

PostSubject: Re: Using the gravel vac   Using the gravel vac Icon_minitime1/31/2011, 8:57 am

Using the gravel vac 858205 with pretty much everyone above
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Using the gravel vac   Using the gravel vac Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Using the gravel vac
Page 1 of 1