UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

has anyone used Liquid Gravel Vac?

Go down 
+4
wildbeanerz
unknown
Terry
wblueus
8 posters
AuthorMessage
wblueus
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Favorite Fish: : cichlids

has anyone used Liquid Gravel Vac? Empty
PostSubject: has anyone used Liquid Gravel Vac?   has anyone used Liquid Gravel Vac? Icon_minitime8/27/2010, 7:02 am

I bought some liquid gravel vac about a year ago cause the company has a really big claim that basically says if you use this product you will only have to vacuum your aquarium once or twice a year! Now thats pretty amazing since i vacuum twice a month or 24 times a year. Also it tells you how much of it to use but doesnt tell you how often to use it. I have used it every so often like every other month or so if anyone knows more about this product or if they think it really works I would love the info.
Back to top Go down
Terry
Captain
Captain
Terry

PostSubject: Re: has anyone used Liquid Gravel Vac?   has anyone used Liquid Gravel Vac? Icon_minitime8/27/2010, 7:35 am

I dont think you can replace a good ole gravel vac. Were does the waste go if its not removed but twice yearly?
Back to top Go down
wblueus
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

PostSubject: Re: has anyone used Liquid Gravel Vac?   has anyone used Liquid Gravel Vac? Icon_minitime8/27/2010, 8:02 am

Terry wrote:
I dont think you can replace a good ole gravel vac. Were does the waste go if its not removed but twice yearly?
I dont know says something like it (the liquid) eats it or removes it somehow LOL maybe like liquid plumber eats that cr@p off the walls of your pipes lol. I dont really think a person needs to use it but I bought it so im gonna keep using it till atleast i run out
Back to top Go down
unknown
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
unknown

Favorite Fish: : You mean I gotta have a favorite??

PostSubject: Re: has anyone used Liquid Gravel Vac?   has anyone used Liquid Gravel Vac? Icon_minitime8/27/2010, 8:17 am

It's probably just a bacteria additive. Not sure I would trust it. Vacuuming the gravel also has other benefits, and depending on your tank conditions (size, stocking, filtration, feeding, etc...), there may not be sufficient infusion of healthy bacteria to do the trick. Other benefits of vacuuming would include an infusion of fresh water (mimicikng rainfall), removing detritus, lowering nitrate, nitirite, and ammonia levels, and often will induce spawning.

Better living through chemistry is not something I would force upon my fish. Of course that statement is only opinion, the statement regarding the benefits is proven.

Good luck!!
Back to top Go down
wildbeanerz
Captain
Captain
wildbeanerz

Favorite Fish: : Love my black ocellaris!

PostSubject: Re: has anyone used Liquid Gravel Vac?   has anyone used Liquid Gravel Vac? Icon_minitime8/27/2010, 8:45 am

I haven't heard of this product but would hesitate to use it. I however go as natural as possible with all my projects. My current tank has never had anything added to it except the marine salt mix required.
Back to top Go down
Holey Rock of Texas
Admin
Admin
Holey Rock of Texas

Favorite Fish: : shellys

PostSubject: Re: has anyone used Liquid Gravel Vac?   has anyone used Liquid Gravel Vac? Icon_minitime8/27/2010, 9:31 am

man if it worked it would save me fromhaving to do water changes every month. i tried something called purigen but it does not work!!!
Back to top Go down
wblueus
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

PostSubject: Re: has anyone used Liquid Gravel Vac?   has anyone used Liquid Gravel Vac? Icon_minitime8/27/2010, 9:35 am

Holey Rock of Texas wrote:
man if it worked it would save me fromhaving to do water changes every month. i tried something called purigen but it does not work!!!
I believe it says it have been proven to work in lab test its just a thin red liquid and a little goes a long ways just a teaspoon for every 20 gallons
Back to top Go down
Holey Rock of Texas
Admin
Admin
Holey Rock of Texas

Favorite Fish: : shellys

PostSubject: Re: has anyone used Liquid Gravel Vac?   has anyone used Liquid Gravel Vac? Icon_minitime8/27/2010, 9:39 am

cool. my purigen said it was proven to remove all ammonia, nitrates, and nitrites but it did not work.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: has anyone used Liquid Gravel Vac?   has anyone used Liquid Gravel Vac? Icon_minitime8/27/2010, 10:24 am

Water changes, water changes, water changes and vac. Best preventative on the market!
Back to top Go down
alan j t
Major
Major
alan j t

Favorite Fish: : discus

PostSubject: Re: has anyone used Liquid Gravel Vac?   has anyone used Liquid Gravel Vac? Icon_minitime8/27/2010, 12:11 pm

FishVixen wrote:
Water changes, water changes, water changes and vac. Best preventative on the market!

i agree 100%. most of the stuuf sold on the market is cr@p anyway!
Back to top Go down
jetajockey
Private First Class
Private First Class

PostSubject: Re: has anyone used Liquid Gravel Vac?   has anyone used Liquid Gravel Vac? Icon_minitime8/27/2010, 2:10 pm

Honestly it sounds like some sort of denitrifyer. It's probably just some sort of heterotrophic bacteria (and possibly some autotrophs) that go into the anaerobic parts of the tank and help break down organic materials.

This occurs naturally in a well cycled tank, and with proper maintenance is totally unnecessary. I would use it in something like a 'set it and forget it' pond setting.

A better method of removing nitrates is through live plants.

The other problem is when cutting back on water changes, you cut back on the only method of introducing fresh water, nutrients and all, into the system.

Take care!
Back to top Go down
CajunGator
CajunGator

Favorite Fish: : Cichlids, WC Syn Petricola, Shellies, Festae, Mbu Puffers, Koi Angels, ABN, Piranha, Mermaids

PostSubject: Re: has anyone used Liquid Gravel Vac?   has anyone used Liquid Gravel Vac? Icon_minitime8/27/2010, 2:15 pm

I have never tried the liquid vac. solution. Always did it the hard way.. LOL
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: has anyone used Liquid Gravel Vac?   has anyone used Liquid Gravel Vac? Icon_minitime8/27/2010, 5:34 pm

Sounds a little bit too much like snake oil to me...
I only add prime to my water and that's it, nothing beats a good 'ol water change!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: has anyone used Liquid Gravel Vac?   has anyone used Liquid Gravel Vac? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

has anyone used Liquid Gravel Vac?
Page 1 of 1