UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.

Wanting to change to sand

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Keelo
Major
Major
Keelo

Favorite Fish: : Mollys, BN plec, and Thoracochromis brauschi

Wanting to change to sand Empty
PostSubject: Wanting to change to sand   Wanting to change to sand Icon_minitime1/29/2011, 7:03 pm

Im wanting to change my gravel... to sand but i have a few questions.

1. is it safe to add sand with my fish in the tank?
2. what the best sand for my livebearer planted tank?
3. do i add fertilizer with the sand? if so do i put a layer of fertilizer down then the sand on top or do i mix it all?

Thanks in advance :)
Back to top Go down
MarkM
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
MarkM

Favorite Fish: : If it swims and has fins and gills, I like it.

PostSubject: Re: Wanting to change to sand   Wanting to change to sand Icon_minitime1/29/2011, 7:35 pm

1. yes
2. I use pool sand
3. talk to Fern or FishVixen, they both do plants well
Back to top Go down
Keelo
Major
Major
Keelo

PostSubject: Re: Wanting to change to sand   Wanting to change to sand Icon_minitime1/29/2011, 8:04 pm

is pool sand the same as play sand? the real fine sand you see in sandboxes???
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Wanting to change to sand   Wanting to change to sand Icon_minitime1/29/2011, 8:41 pm

I use silica sand from a pool shop, it is also pool filter sand, wash it well, I just feel play sand as unsanitary, this is just an opinion that i have, not a fact, I really don't know, just seems that way for me, I grow a few low light plants in my 55 gallon with sand, Anubis Nana, and Java fern to name a couple. I have never added sand with the fish in the tank, I was unsure so i took mine out. I have had it in there from about a month in and everything is doing fine, I also mixed a small bag of gravel into it to sorta break it up. but its a fun way to "naturalize" your tank!
Back to top Go down
MarkM
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
MarkM

Favorite Fish: : If it swims and has fins and gills, I like it.

PostSubject: Re: Wanting to change to sand   Wanting to change to sand Icon_minitime1/30/2011, 9:38 am

Pool sand is more uniform than play sand.
Back to top Go down
Keelo
Major
Major
Keelo

PostSubject: Re: Wanting to change to sand   Wanting to change to sand Icon_minitime1/30/2011, 9:39 am

Okay thanks for all the great answers! hopefully soon i can get some sand and start scooping out my gravel!
Back to top Go down
Cohazard
Sergeant
Sergeant
Cohazard

Favorite Fish: : I love the hobby as a whole and I like keeping all types of fish. I can narrow it down to Polypterus delhezi, Erpetoichthys clabaricus, Carinotetraodon irrubesco, angelfish and live bearers.

PostSubject: Re: Wanting to change to sand   Wanting to change to sand Icon_minitime1/30/2011, 11:21 am

I've used play sand and wish I had used pool sand for the uniform grain size.

to 'seed' the new sand, I pulled out my gravel using a fish net so that the fish waste was left behind.

After the waste settles, i gently added the thoroughly rinsed play sand on top so that the waste was kept at the bottom to fertilize plant roots.
Back to top Go down
Keelo
Major
Major
Keelo

PostSubject: Re: Wanting to change to sand   Wanting to change to sand Icon_minitime1/30/2011, 11:24 am

Cohazard wrote:
I've used play sand and wish I had used pool sand for the uniform grain size.

to 'seed' the new sand, I pulled out my gravel using a fish net so that the fish waste was left behind.

After the waste settles, i gently added the thoroughly rinsed play sand on top so that the waste was kept at the bottom to fertilize plant roots.

Good tip i didnt think about that i will for sure do that!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Wanting to change to sand   Wanting to change to sand Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Wanting to change to sand
Page 1 of 1