UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.

wanting to convert

Go down 
+4
alkomist
cwhip
J*Hawk*83
KingBichir
8 posters
AuthorMessage
KingBichir
Admin
Admin
KingBichir

Favorite Fish: : all of them

wanting to convert Empty
PostSubject: wanting to convert   wanting to convert Icon_minitime3/31/2011, 1:15 pm

I have a couple of tanks and want to make my 30 gal bow front saltwater. I have no idea where to start, I have a skillter 250 on it now (don't know if its worth a dam) and some reef lights. I also already know i need live sand. A list of what I need to get started would very appreciated.

Thanks
Back to top Go down
J*Hawk*83
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
J*Hawk*83

Favorite Fish: : Venestus
Trigger
Lionfish
Wrasse

wanting to convert Empty
PostSubject: Re: wanting to convert   wanting to convert Icon_minitime3/31/2011, 2:21 pm

You plan on doing a reef or fish only?
Back to top Go down
cwhip
cwhip

Favorite Fish: : Maroon clownfish,Tangs,bluespot jaw fish,Bangaii,Mandarins etc.......I love all fish really.

wanting to convert Empty
PostSubject: Re: wanting to convert   wanting to convert Icon_minitime3/31/2011, 2:30 pm

KingBichir wrote:
I have a couple of tanks and want to make my 30 gal bow front saltwater. I have no idea where to start, I have a skillter 250 on it now (don't know if its worth a dam) and some reef lights. I also already know i need live sand. A list of what I need to get started would very appreciated.

Thanks
well 1st I would get rid of the skilter they are cr@p. look into a remora pro rated twice the size of the tank. have you ever treated the 30G with copper? as far as lights that all depends on what you want to keep. FO? FOWLR? Reef. I guarantee if you start you will
want some corals zoa's and softies are easy. so tell us what you want then we can talk list.
Back to top Go down
alkomist
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
alkomist

Favorite Fish: :

┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘
┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘

wanting to convert Empty
PostSubject: Re: wanting to convert   wanting to convert Icon_minitime3/31/2011, 3:38 pm

^^^
b4 any list is given you will need to decide what you want
Fish Only With Live Rock?
or Reef:)<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Back to top Go down
KingBichir
Admin
Admin
KingBichir

wanting to convert Empty
PostSubject: Re: wanting to convert   wanting to convert Icon_minitime4/1/2011, 12:57 pm

I was thinking a community reef. Clowns, gobies, some corals [u]
Back to top Go down
juice28
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
juice28

Favorite Fish: : black false percula, spotted mandarin

wanting to convert Empty
PostSubject: Re: wanting to convert   wanting to convert Icon_minitime4/8/2011, 3:14 pm

You can do a small reef. no prob.. you already know that you need the LS and LR, you say you have proper lighting already...so for the most part, you seem ready. just make sure the tank is clean before you start. as far as filtration goes, thats a debatable issue whether or not HOB filter or canister filters..some are better quality than others but hey,whatever works..ive heard alot of negative stories about emperor HOB filters, i use a 400 and it works great for me so to each is won IMO.
Back to top Go down
CajunGator
CajunGator

Favorite Fish: : Cichlids, WC Syn Petricola, Shellies, Festae, Mbu Puffers, Koi Angels, ABN, Piranha, Mermaids

wanting to convert Empty
PostSubject: Re: wanting to convert   wanting to convert Icon_minitime4/8/2011, 3:27 pm

now is the time.... LOL
Back to top Go down
juice28
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
juice28

wanting to convert Empty
PostSubject: Re: wanting to convert   wanting to convert Icon_minitime4/8/2011, 3:30 pm

CajunGator wrote:
now is the time.... LOL

I SECOND THAT!!!! wanting to convert 858205
Back to top Go down
KingBichir
Admin
Admin
KingBichir

wanting to convert Empty
PostSubject: Re: wanting to convert   wanting to convert Icon_minitime4/8/2011, 3:38 pm

I talked to a guy at a saltwater store about it and he told me to go with a refugium filter and he showed me what it looked like, I dont want to spend a bunch of money on the ones he was selling. Are they any good? Can I make one? How would I go about building it if I deside to go that route?

Thanks
Justin
Back to top Go down
juice28
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
juice28

wanting to convert Empty
PostSubject: Re: wanting to convert   wanting to convert Icon_minitime4/8/2011, 3:52 pm

ya dont NEED A REF.. they do help but you dont need one, i have a 55 with an emperor 400 and my skimmer..thats it and my tank is fine
Back to top Go down
KingBichir
Admin
Admin
KingBichir

wanting to convert Empty
PostSubject: Re: wanting to convert   wanting to convert Icon_minitime4/8/2011, 4:56 pm

ok, i have a emperor 400 on my 55 gal too. so some like a emperor 250 for my 30 gal and a skimmer. whats a good skimmer, i dont need powerheads or any thing like that
Back to top Go down
majesticaquatic
USA Fishbox Sponsor
majesticaquatic

Favorite Fish: : Discus, Tangs, Clownfish

wanting to convert Empty
PostSubject: Re: wanting to convert   wanting to convert Icon_minitime4/8/2011, 5:45 pm

refugium, Skimmer, Live sand and live rock with a power head will do. let me know if you need any thing i have some stuff that would work for your set up.
Back to top Go down
KingBichir
Admin
Admin
KingBichir

wanting to convert Empty
PostSubject: Re: wanting to convert   wanting to convert Icon_minitime4/8/2011, 6:27 pm

how do i know what size skimmer? if i did go the refugium route what size? questions go on and on about saltwater. trying to get my sea legs
Back to top Go down
majesticaquatic
USA Fishbox Sponsor
majesticaquatic

wanting to convert Empty
PostSubject: Re: wanting to convert   wanting to convert Icon_minitime4/8/2011, 6:45 pm

KingBichir wrote:
how do i know what size skimmer? if i did go the refugium route what size? questions go on and on about saltwater. trying to get my sea legs

A good not so exspensive skimmer i have found that works good is the coralife super skimmer just get the one rated for the 65gallon and a 20gallon sump would be good.

you should have 1.5pounds of live rock and sand per gallon.
Back to top Go down
majesticaquatic
USA Fishbox Sponsor
majesticaquatic

wanting to convert Empty
PostSubject: Re: wanting to convert   wanting to convert Icon_minitime4/8/2011, 6:46 pm

ps and for corals a good light, what kind of corals are you thinking about housing?
Back to top Go down
KingBichir
Admin
Admin
KingBichir

wanting to convert Empty
PostSubject: Re: wanting to convert   wanting to convert Icon_minitime4/8/2011, 9:48 pm

i dont even have a clue about corals, i was probably just going to post another thread but if you can help me out on this one that would be cool. i know i want one of those things that clownfish like to live in( wow that really sounded like a noob)
Back to top Go down
wildbeanerz
Captain
Captain
wildbeanerz

Favorite Fish: : Love my black ocellaris!

wanting to convert Empty
PostSubject: Re: wanting to convert   wanting to convert Icon_minitime4/11/2011, 9:10 am

That thing clowns like to live in is called an anemone. I would not put one in a new tank. Wait at least six months.
Back to top Go down
cwhip
cwhip

Favorite Fish: : Maroon clownfish,Tangs,bluespot jaw fish,Bangaii,Mandarins etc.......I love all fish really.

wanting to convert Empty
PostSubject: Re: wanting to convert   wanting to convert Icon_minitime4/11/2011, 9:27 am

that thing "Anemone"also requires very Strong lighting and pristine water quality and like stated above needs an established tank. RBTA aka Rose Bubble tip Anemone do best under Metal Halides. GBTA aka Green Bubble tip Anemones will do fine under T5's. the darker the Anemone the stronger the light requirements.
these are not for the new reefer and if they do happen to die in your tank it very well can cause a crash"loss of everything"BTA' are among the easiest of anemone
to keep. Clowns will host anything including equipment in your tank lol why not get yourself a nice large frogspawn for them to host they are much easier to keep until you get the hang of things.
Back to top Go down
wildbeanerz
Captain
Captain
wildbeanerz

Favorite Fish: : Love my black ocellaris!

wanting to convert Empty
PostSubject: Re: wanting to convert   wanting to convert Icon_minitime4/11/2011, 9:47 am

LOL My black clown loves to host my green star polyps!
Back to top Go down
KingBichir
Admin
Admin
KingBichir

wanting to convert Empty
PostSubject: Re: wanting to convert   wanting to convert Icon_minitime4/11/2011, 8:43 pm

sounds good, yea some good starter corals would be the best. Im not just going to throw in some stuff until i learn more about it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

wanting to convert Empty
PostSubject: Re: wanting to convert   wanting to convert Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

wanting to convert
Page 1 of 1