UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

My Sea Horse adventure:)

Go down 
+15
KMX
tbarnwell
Meredith
Keelo
natikah
D'Claro
alkomist
Dr. Who
SeaWitch
Holey Rock of Texas
pillierox1
CajunGator
whisper
wildbeanerz
cwhip
19 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
cwhip
cwhip

Favorite Fish: : Maroon clownfish,Tangs,bluespot jaw fish,Bangaii,Mandarins etc.......I love all fish really.

My Sea Horse adventure:) - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: My Sea Horse adventure:)   My Sea Horse adventure:) - Page 3 Icon_minitime1/28/2011, 1:45 pm

First topic message reminder :

I have been wanting to setup a tank dedicated to sea horses and pipe fish for the last couple of years so I decided to just do it! I researched them a couple of years ago but I will need to take a refresher course:) but I am getting the tank its a Red Sea Max 130 plug and play. I plan to do the usual and have black and white CaribSea Ocean direct sand and 35 odd pounds of Tonga Branch live rock I will pick rock that doesn't have sharp edges to keep the ponies safe. I plan to have 2 pairs 2 female and 2 males. I am also going to pay more and buy captive bred sea horses that have already been raised on frozen foods so there wont be an issue with them not eating. I am getting tropical sea horses so I won't need an expensive chiller. so let the fun begin. I will update this thread with pics as things come together. I thought you all might be interested in ponies too:) wish me luck!
heres the tank. I am getting it off craigslist but its a 3 hour drive for me but the guy said he will hang onto it till I can make it down to pick it up. p.s I will paint the tank black and the Sea horses will be Hippocampus erectus I find them fascinating creatures they change color with their moods and environment.
My Sea Horse adventure:) - Page 3 3kd3pc3l25Y35Z55P5b1h2deee3e7bd9611f7redseaamax-1
My Sea Horse adventure:) - Page 3 3m43o83lc5T45X15R3b1hba9c9cd3f6271a07redseamax2
My Sea Horse adventure:) - Page 3 H-erectus
pipefish a close relative of the sea horse.
My Sea Horse adventure:) - Page 3 ImagesCA4281PMpipefish
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
cwhip

PostSubject: Re: My Sea Horse adventure:)   My Sea Horse adventure:) - Page 3 Icon_minitime4/4/2011, 2:57 pm

a DIY kreaisel tank for the seahorse babies.
http://www.ventralfins.com/diy_kreisel.html
Back to top Go down
cwhip
cwhip

Favorite Fish: : Maroon clownfish,Tangs,bluespot jaw fish,Bangaii,Mandarins etc.......I love all fish really.

PostSubject: Re: My Sea Horse adventure:)   My Sea Horse adventure:) - Page 3 Icon_minitime4/5/2011, 8:27 am

I have bad news. I found a spiney urchin HH in the pony tank they are a level 4 threat to seahorses and I have 0 experience with urchins, I am not sure how to remove him
without damaging him I wish him no harm but he cannot reside in this tank.... google here I come.
My Sea Horse adventure:) - Page 3 002-24
Back to top Go down
wildbeanerz
Captain
Captain
wildbeanerz

Favorite Fish: : Love my black ocellaris!

PostSubject: Re: My Sea Horse adventure:)   My Sea Horse adventure:) - Page 3 Icon_minitime4/5/2011, 9:45 am

Ohhhh.... he's pretty cool lookin, but no good for the horsies.
Back to top Go down
cwhip
cwhip

PostSubject: Re: My Sea Horse adventure:)   My Sea Horse adventure:) - Page 3 Icon_minitime4/5/2011, 12:33 pm

wildbeanerz wrote:
Ohhhh.... he's pretty cool lookin, but no good for the horsies.

I took him out and put in the sump under the 180 he'll live happily in there.
they eat algae including coralline so he can have at it down there:)
Back to top Go down
D'Claro
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
D'Claro

PostSubject: Re: My Sea Horse adventure:)   My Sea Horse adventure:) - Page 3 Icon_minitime4/5/2011, 5:51 pm

Everything is coming together for you! Imagine all the problems if you had not done your research so well! (I guess you DID imagine them and that's why you did so much work up front! :lol:)

Now, even the spiny urchin will have a good home because you took the trouble to study up on his needs. Way to go, Cindy! My Sea Horse adventure:) - Page 3 393849

I just took a look at the DIY Kreisel water jug project.
Are you going to build one of your own?

For coralline algae have you ever tried the product called Purple-Up?
Back to top Go down
cwhip
cwhip

PostSubject: Re: My Sea Horse adventure:)   My Sea Horse adventure:) - Page 3 Icon_minitime4/6/2011, 5:02 am

D'Claro wrote:
Everything is coming together for you! Imagine all the problems if you had not done your research so well! (I guess you DID imagine them and that's why you did so much work up front! :lol:)

Now, even the spiny urchin will have a good home because you took the trouble to study up on his needs. Way to go, Cindy! My Sea Horse adventure:) - Page 3 393849

I just took a look at the DIY Kreisel water jug project.
Are you going to build one of your own?

For coralline algae have you ever tried the product called Purple-Up?

Thank you for the kind words:)
yes I am planning on a DIY kreisel tank to house the seahorse fry.
yes I have used purple up in the past but I have found testing my calcium levels and keeping it at 480 the coralline grows just as well and the SPSs also benefit.
purple up is essentially calcium.
I am planning a hypersaline bath for my live rock this weekend to make sure I rid it of any HH
that maybe detrimental to seahorses.
Back to top Go down
cwhip
cwhip

PostSubject: Re: My Sea Horse adventure:)   My Sea Horse adventure:) - Page 3 Icon_minitime4/7/2011, 3:03 pm

just a lil update, I have diatoms so I bought Dwarf ceriths to eat the diatoms
and the cyano if I get it. I will do a water change this weekend using
water change water from the nem/softy tank to add more good bacteria.
I got a few more rocks so it totals 35 odd pounds so thats where I'll stop
the rest will be marine plants and pony safe corals. I had to rehome the mollies
they did a number on the orange sponge they really pigged out thats only 3 days of damage you can see it in the picture. those molly are horn dogs they were happy as h3ll in there breeding away crazy I will frag whats left and let it start over. I have a tiny cuc and a pepermint shrimp with 3 Bangaii,3 feather dusters. the bangaii will stay they are good tank mates for seahorses. the tank will be a week old this Saturday
heres pics
My Sea Horse adventure:) - Page 3 030-16-1
My Sea Horse adventure:) - Page 3 040-8-1
My Sea Horse adventure:) - Page 3 038-10-1
Back to top Go down
wildbeanerz
Captain
Captain
wildbeanerz

PostSubject: Re: My Sea Horse adventure:)   My Sea Horse adventure:) - Page 3 Icon_minitime4/8/2011, 7:00 am

I love the bangais! They are very pretty. The tank looks great. I love the corals that you are choosing for in there as well. The RSM tanks are nice because the veiwing area is about the same whether you view from the front or a side giving you more to enjoy of your tank. At least that is how they are at my LFS.
Back to top Go down
cwhip
cwhip

PostSubject: Re: My Sea Horse adventure:)   My Sea Horse adventure:) - Page 3 Icon_minitime4/8/2011, 8:35 am

I like them too, really sweet fish!
I love the RSM all in one and no hassles. they are coming out with an RSM 500
I believe its 110 gallons really super nice. its tempting to sell off the 180 and get
that because these are so easy to take care of the only problem is I'm attached
to my Tangs and other fish and I couldn't have that many in a 110 so I'll probably just stay with these 3 tanks lol I wish I was taller they 180 is hard to maintain.
Back to top Go down
cwhip
cwhip

PostSubject: Re: My Sea Horse adventure:)   My Sea Horse adventure:) - Page 3 Icon_minitime4/12/2011, 8:34 am

Bad news for the pony tank:( it got into the 80's here yesterday
and the tank heated up to 82 degrees. I figured that might be an issue being
and enclosed system. needless to say the pony tank is too HOT so it looks like I'm in the market for a chiller.. no chiller no Seahorses $$$ lol or I could freeze RO/DI water
and float them in the back of the tank as my daily top offs. lol!
Back to top Go down
wildbeanerz
Captain
Captain
wildbeanerz

PostSubject: Re: My Sea Horse adventure:)   My Sea Horse adventure:) - Page 3 Icon_minitime4/12/2011, 10:30 am

What temp should you keep it down to for the seahorses?
Back to top Go down
cwhip
cwhip

PostSubject: Re: My Sea Horse adventure:)   My Sea Horse adventure:) - Page 3 Icon_minitime4/12/2011, 10:34 am

72-76 I'd like it kept right in the middle, the warmer the water the more prone they are to disease..
my Husband just called he said he has a surprise for me and it will be here in 3-4 days so it may change everything with this pony tank.
I'll keep ya posted :)
Back to top Go down
wildbeanerz
Captain
Captain
wildbeanerz

PostSubject: Re: My Sea Horse adventure:)   My Sea Horse adventure:) - Page 3 Icon_minitime4/12/2011, 10:40 am

Ohhhh...I like surprises!!! My Sea Horse adventure:) - Page 3 393849
Back to top Go down
cwhip
cwhip

PostSubject: Re: My Sea Horse adventure:)   My Sea Horse adventure:) - Page 3 Icon_minitime4/12/2011, 12:46 pm

wildbeanerz wrote:
Ohhhh...I like surprises!!! My Sea Horse adventure:) - Page 3 393849

yes and I know what it is too, lets just say it will make a nicer pony tank:)
Back to top Go down
wildbeanerz
Captain
Captain
wildbeanerz

PostSubject: Re: My Sea Horse adventure:)   My Sea Horse adventure:) - Page 3 Icon_minitime4/12/2011, 1:49 pm

I am jealous....but in secret I may have something coming up in the works soon too! My Sea Horse adventure:) - Page 3 393849
Back to top Go down
cwhip
cwhip

PostSubject: Re: My Sea Horse adventure:)   My Sea Horse adventure:) - Page 3 Icon_minitime4/12/2011, 2:18 pm

wildbeanerz wrote:
I am jealous....but in secret I may have something coming up in the works soon too! My Sea Horse adventure:) - Page 3 393849

whooooo hooo you have to post your tank build!
I love watching all the twists and turns that happen:)
you just never really know even when you plan every detail there's
still surprises. I can't believe he bought it for me now thats a huge surprise.. lol!
Back to top Go down
wildbeanerz
Captain
Captain
wildbeanerz

PostSubject: Re: My Sea Horse adventure:)   My Sea Horse adventure:) - Page 3 Icon_minitime4/12/2011, 2:21 pm

I love when the hubby's know us well enough to know what we would really really want....and then surprise us with it!!!
Back to top Go down
cwhip
cwhip

PostSubject: Re: My Sea Horse adventure:)   My Sea Horse adventure:) - Page 3 Icon_minitime4/20/2011, 9:01 am

The RSM 250 was just delivered.:)
Back to top Go down
cwhip
cwhip

PostSubject: Re: My Sea Horse adventure:)   My Sea Horse adventure:) - Page 3 Icon_minitime4/25/2011, 7:44 am

My Sea Horse adventure:) - Page 3 050-6
My Sea Horse adventure:) - Page 3 079
Back to top Go down
cwhip
cwhip

PostSubject: Re: My Sea Horse adventure:)   My Sea Horse adventure:) - Page 3 Icon_minitime4/25/2011, 7:55 am

I added 70lbs of rock and decided to go with a shallow sandbed for easy cleaning.
it still needs to clear and the skimmer needs to break in, I will be adjusting the rock work in the next few days.
My Sea Horse adventure:) - Page 3 007-31
Back to top Go down
wildbeanerz
Captain
Captain
wildbeanerz

PostSubject: Re: My Sea Horse adventure:)   My Sea Horse adventure:) - Page 3 Icon_minitime4/25/2011, 8:22 am

Love it Cindy! It's coming together nicely. My Sea Horse adventure:) - Page 3 393849 Can't wait to see it with some corals & ponies in there!!
Back to top Go down
cwhip
cwhip

PostSubject: Re: My Sea Horse adventure:)   My Sea Horse adventure:) - Page 3 Icon_minitime4/25/2011, 8:58 am

I know me too:) I plan to add another 20# of super rock to the top but I also need to make sure I leave enough swimming space. I had Todd treat this rock with seltzer water before he brought it over, I need to find a store that sell lots of nice algaes and marine plants for the ponies to hitch to but I think thats gonna be a challenge and it gets pricey buying online all the time.
Back to top Go down
wildbeanerz
Captain
Captain
wildbeanerz

PostSubject: Re: My Sea Horse adventure:)   My Sea Horse adventure:) - Page 3 Icon_minitime4/25/2011, 11:17 am

Yeah, the place I just got my base rock from sells lots of different algaes with free shipping over $50 I think.

My LFS has a pretty nice selection too. Other than the flame algae! My Sea Horse adventure:) - Page 3 393849

Super rock will be sweet on top so you can watch what all develops on it! dance
Back to top Go down
cwhip
cwhip

PostSubject: Re: My Sea Horse adventure:)   My Sea Horse adventure:) - Page 3 Icon_minitime4/30/2011, 2:12 pm

update... I need a chiller and was able to find one on WAMAS for 220.00 so I will be picking it up next weekend. here is where this adventure is now the tank is 6 days old today my params are as follows.
ammo 0
nitrite 0
nitrate 0
ph 8.2
cal 450
phos 0
alk 9dkh
temp 76 even today and its cool the other day when it was HOT it went up to 80
optimum temp for seahorse is 75 I am aiming at no higher than 75...
My Sea Horse adventure:) - Page 3 003-40-1
My Sea Horse adventure:) - Page 3 010-26-1
My Sea Horse adventure:) - Page 3 012-27-1
My Sea Horse adventure:) - Page 3 015-24-1
My Sea Horse adventure:) - Page 3 017-21-1
Back to top Go down
cwhip
cwhip

PostSubject: Re: My Sea Horse adventure:)   My Sea Horse adventure:) - Page 3 Icon_minitime4/30/2011, 2:17 pm

new lil dude "watchman goby"
My Sea Horse adventure:) - Page 3 002-26-1

Back to top Go down
wildbeanerz
Captain
Captain
wildbeanerz

PostSubject: Re: My Sea Horse adventure:)   My Sea Horse adventure:) - Page 3 Icon_minitime4/30/2011, 2:31 pm

That goby is a cool lil dude. What is the orange in pic 4 called?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My Sea Horse adventure:)   My Sea Horse adventure:) - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

My Sea Horse adventure:)
Page 3 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next