UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

My Sea Horse adventure:)

Go down 
+15
KMX
tbarnwell
Meredith
Keelo
natikah
D'Claro
alkomist
Dr. Who
SeaWitch
Holey Rock of Texas
pillierox1
CajunGator
whisper
wildbeanerz
cwhip
19 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
AuthorMessage
cwhip
cwhip

Favorite Fish: : Maroon clownfish,Tangs,bluespot jaw fish,Bangaii,Mandarins etc.......I love all fish really.

My Sea Horse adventure:) - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: My Sea Horse adventure:)   My Sea Horse adventure:) - Page 5 Icon_minitime1/28/2011, 1:45 pm

First topic message reminder :

I have been wanting to setup a tank dedicated to sea horses and pipe fish for the last couple of years so I decided to just do it! I researched them a couple of years ago but I will need to take a refresher course:) but I am getting the tank its a Red Sea Max 130 plug and play. I plan to do the usual and have black and white CaribSea Ocean direct sand and 35 odd pounds of Tonga Branch live rock I will pick rock that doesn't have sharp edges to keep the ponies safe. I plan to have 2 pairs 2 female and 2 males. I am also going to pay more and buy captive bred sea horses that have already been raised on frozen foods so there wont be an issue with them not eating. I am getting tropical sea horses so I won't need an expensive chiller. so let the fun begin. I will update this thread with pics as things come together. I thought you all might be interested in ponies too:) wish me luck!
heres the tank. I am getting it off craigslist but its a 3 hour drive for me but the guy said he will hang onto it till I can make it down to pick it up. p.s I will paint the tank black and the Sea horses will be Hippocampus erectus I find them fascinating creatures they change color with their moods and environment.
My Sea Horse adventure:) - Page 5 3kd3pc3l25Y35Z55P5b1h2deee3e7bd9611f7redseaamax-1
My Sea Horse adventure:) - Page 5 3m43o83lc5T45X15R3b1hba9c9cd3f6271a07redseamax2
My Sea Horse adventure:) - Page 5 H-erectus
pipefish a close relative of the sea horse.
My Sea Horse adventure:) - Page 5 ImagesCA4281PMpipefish
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
cwhip

PostSubject: Re: My Sea Horse adventure:)   My Sea Horse adventure:) - Page 5 Icon_minitime10/10/2011, 9:22 am

Ok finally the ponies are ordered it's been a long 7 months, the tank has been up and running without any issues what so ever!!!! the chiller and heater are working together to keep the tank at an optimum 75 degrees.
PH 8.1
amm 0
trates 0
trites 0
salinity 1.025
here's the stocklist
1 purple firefish
3 red firefish
1 watchman goby
1 Bi color blenny
1 mated pair of Mustangs
1 mated pair of Sun bursts
2 red banded pipefish
I decided to go with all real corals like xenia,Gorg's,leathers,zoa's I am getting ready to place another order now for a couple more corals to finnish the look I'm after off.
they will be delivered this Saturday 10/15/11 pictures to follow:)
LOL I am sooooo nervous... you'd think I'm having a kid or something..
please wish me luck and break out the Cigars My Sea Horse adventure:) - Page 5 690297
Back to top Go down
popebosephus
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
popebosephus

PostSubject: Re: My Sea Horse adventure:)   My Sea Horse adventure:) - Page 5 Icon_minitime10/10/2011, 9:36 am

what no GSP?
Back to top Go down
cwhip
cwhip

Favorite Fish: : Maroon clownfish,Tangs,bluespot jaw fish,Bangaii,Mandarins etc.......I love all fish really.

PostSubject: Re: My Sea Horse adventure:)   My Sea Horse adventure:) - Page 5 Icon_minitime10/10/2011, 9:38 am

no but I can always take some out of the 180:)
Back to top Go down
popebosephus
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
popebosephus

PostSubject: Re: My Sea Horse adventure:)   My Sea Horse adventure:) - Page 5 Icon_minitime10/10/2011, 9:40 am

Did you go bare bottom in this? I'm not reading back through to refresh my memory. I dream of an RSM with bare bottom to grow GSP across with xenia and ricordea everywhere.
Back to top Go down
cwhip
cwhip

PostSubject: Re: My Sea Horse adventure:)   My Sea Horse adventure:) - Page 5 Icon_minitime10/10/2011, 11:29 am

I thought long and hard on BB but chose to go with a shallow sand bed.
here's a few things I just ordered for the tank.
Purple Sea Fan (Gorgonia sp.) - Size: 9"-12"
Bali Blue Sea Fan (Acalycigorgia sp.) 5"-9"
Bluespotted Jawfish (Opistognathus rosenblatti) - Size: 3"- 4"
Red Tree Sponge (Ptilocaulis sp.) - Medium: 7”-10”
Orange Finger Sponge (Axinella sp.) - Medium: 6”-9”
Meteor Shower Cyphastrea (Cyphastrea sp.) - Frag: 3/4" this baby go's in the 180:)
My Sea Horse adventure:) - Page 5 ImagesCAFJI5DE

Back to top Go down
popebosephus
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
popebosephus

PostSubject: Re: My Sea Horse adventure:)   My Sea Horse adventure:) - Page 5 Icon_minitime10/10/2011, 11:34 am

I LOVE my cyphastrea

My Sea Horse adventure:) - Page 5 293631_10150327029404774_771159773_7833208_388047788_n

There's a guy in dallas sells these on 1.5" frag tiles for cheap cheap cheap. His are all colored down. I had to have it and a month later this thing is awesome. Makes me want to buy out all he has for what he's asking. Color them up in my tank, then flip them for double.

His collection of not yet sold cyphastrea. (egg crate squares are roughly 3/4")

My Sea Horse adventure:) - Page 5 296424_10150318223333031_157244743030_8107129_505248287_n
Back to top Go down
cwhip
cwhip

PostSubject: Re: My Sea Horse adventure:)   My Sea Horse adventure:) - Page 5 Icon_minitime10/10/2011, 11:38 am

really beautiful! I went to a friends house and he had a really nice one then while shopping this morning I came across it and had to have it:) the next on my list is Jedi Mind Trick love that one too although its a bit more pricey. you know you should buy all he's got!!! I would if I was close.
Back to top Go down
popebosephus
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
popebosephus

PostSubject: Re: My Sea Horse adventure:)   My Sea Horse adventure:) - Page 5 Icon_minitime10/10/2011, 11:43 am

You want pokerstars monti

My Sea Horse adventure:) - Page 5 298784_10150327033304774_771159773_7833221_2046097993_n Though the jedi mindtricks are sweet.

Have you seen the Jason Fox Cyphastrea with green skin and blue polyps?
Back to top Go down
Meredith
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4
Meredith

Favorite Fish: : As far as fresh water goes, it's Bettas!
For marine fish; Firefish, Cardinalfish, Gobies, Dragonets, and Sharks...

PostSubject: Re: My Sea Horse adventure:)   My Sea Horse adventure:) - Page 5 Icon_minitime10/10/2011, 12:46 pm

Can't wait to see everything when they arrive and you get them all settled! WOOOOOOT!
Back to top Go down
cwhip
cwhip

PostSubject: Re: My Sea Horse adventure:)   My Sea Horse adventure:) - Page 5 Icon_minitime10/10/2011, 1:24 pm

yes me too Meredith:)
yes pope I see alot of Jason Fox pieces he lives right down the road:)
Back to top Go down
cwhip
cwhip

PostSubject: their hererererrerrerer!!!!   My Sea Horse adventure:) - Page 5 Icon_minitime10/15/2011, 11:30 am

the ponies are here!!!! I am sooooooo nervous!!!! pics coming soon:)
Back to top Go down
cwhip
cwhip

PostSubject: Re: My Sea Horse adventure:)   My Sea Horse adventure:) - Page 5 Icon_minitime10/15/2011, 12:43 pm

My Sea Horse adventure:) - Page 5 048-5
My Sea Horse adventure:) - Page 5 042-13
My Sea Horse adventure:) - Page 5 041-10
My Sea Horse adventure:) - Page 5 034-12
My Sea Horse adventure:) - Page 5 034-12
My Sea Horse adventure:) - Page 5 027-14
My Sea Horse adventure:) - Page 5 025-37
My Sea Horse adventure:) - Page 5 020-20
Back to top Go down
cwhip
cwhip

PostSubject: Re: My Sea Horse adventure:)   My Sea Horse adventure:) - Page 5 Icon_minitime10/15/2011, 1:37 pm

they want they want whats in the bag lol
My Sea Horse adventure:) - Page 5 086
My Sea Horse adventure:) - Page 5 087-1
Back to top Go down
strikingthematch
Captain
Captain
strikingthematch

Favorite Fish: : Discus, Stingrays, Arowana, Rams, and Angels

PostSubject: Re: My Sea Horse adventure:)   My Sea Horse adventure:) - Page 5 Icon_minitime10/15/2011, 2:33 pm

That is amazing cwhip! Has to be a truly humbling sight to see.
Back to top Go down
cwhip
cwhip

PostSubject: Re: My Sea Horse adventure:)   My Sea Horse adventure:) - Page 5 Icon_minitime10/15/2011, 2:49 pm

yes t is! I'm in love:)
Back to top Go down
cwhip
cwhip

PostSubject: Re: My Sea Horse adventure:)   My Sea Horse adventure:) - Page 5 Icon_minitime10/15/2011, 6:02 pm

My Sea Horse adventure:) - Page 5 107
My Sea Horse adventure:) - Page 5 123-1
My Sea Horse adventure:) - Page 5 109
Back to top Go down
cwhip
cwhip

PostSubject: Re: My Sea Horse adventure:)   My Sea Horse adventure:) - Page 5 Icon_minitime10/15/2011, 6:24 pm

My Sea Horse adventure:) - Page 5 149-1
My Sea Horse adventure:) - Page 5 166
Back to top Go down
MarkM
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
MarkM

Favorite Fish: : If it swims and has fins and gills, I like it.

PostSubject: Re: My Sea Horse adventure:)   My Sea Horse adventure:) - Page 5 Icon_minitime10/15/2011, 6:29 pm

Awesome ponies!
Back to top Go down
D'Claro
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
D'Claro

PostSubject: Re: My Sea Horse adventure:)   My Sea Horse adventure:) - Page 5 Icon_minitime10/15/2011, 11:19 pm

Gorgeous! Did you get two mated pairs as planned? In the pic above, I see the gold one has its tail around the gray one. Is this mated pair behavior or just regular "hitching to a post" ? I'm very excited to finally see them! I can only imagine your joy!
My Sea Horse adventure:) - Page 5 165198
Back to top Go down
cwhip
cwhip

PostSubject: Re: My Sea Horse adventure:)   My Sea Horse adventure:) - Page 5 Icon_minitime10/16/2011, 4:02 am

yes I got two mated pairs, they like being near each other and wraping their tails around each other as well but thats not their mating dance, I will try taking video of them and when they do mate I hope to get video of that too along with the males giving birth:) my plan for now is to let them rest I'm sure they have jet lag. today will be their 1st feeding so that should be interesting. now I need to get back to planning a small Kreasel tank for future fry. they are so amazing so far they have change colors from lavender with pink dots to orange,yellow and grey with light grey saddde markings. I couldn't sleep last night all I could think about was the ponies:)
Back to top Go down
cwhip
cwhip

PostSubject: Re: My Sea Horse adventure:)   My Sea Horse adventure:) - Page 5 Icon_minitime10/16/2011, 8:01 am

feeding went great it took about 5 minutes. I use thawed and rinced mysis then soaked it in vibrance until the heads of the mysis shrimp turned red then offered to them with a turkey baster they gobbled it up and the firefish, goby and blenny,jawfish cleaned up what was left this means I will no longer be feeding the fish... right now they are swimming around having a good time, they love riding the current My Sea Horse adventure:) - Page 5 393849
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My Sea Horse adventure:)   My Sea Horse adventure:) - Page 5 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

My Sea Horse adventure:)
Page 5 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5