UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLog inRegisterFAQ
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.

My BioCube Adventure! ~~~ <>< ~~~~

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
S&FW_FishyFriend
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
S&FW_FishyFriend

Favorite Fish: : Currently so into Reef it's not even funny! Missed having saltwater, now that I've got it again---- STOKED!

My BioCube Adventure! ~~~ <>< ~~~~ Empty
PostSubject: My BioCube Adventure! ~~~ <>< ~~~~   My BioCube Adventure! ~~~ <>< ~~~~ Icon_minitime2/3/2010, 12:14 pm

I bought a 29 gallon BioCube the other day and have 30 lbs of live sand, about 15-20 lbs of live rock (will add more shortly). My question to ya'll is: what all should I put in here? I know I want a pair of False-Perculas and a long-tentacled anemone. I was also thinking of maybe a flame angelfish, some sort of blenny, perhaps a firefish, I would like to do a little bit of reefing as well...

****UPDATE**** The current stock list is:
2 False Perculas
1 Flame Hawkfish
1 Bangaii Cardinalfish
1 Lawnmower Blenny
1 Mandarin Dragonet

1 Halloween Hermit Crab
5 Blueleg Hermit Crabs
4 Astrea Snails
3 Nassarius Snails

1 Sand Sifting Starfish

1 Branching Hammer
1 Pulsing Xenia

Also, my water pH is currently at about 7.6, but I need it to be between 8.2- 8.6 ish, what is the safest way to do that for this type of setup (saltwater, future reef?). Would the API pH up be ok? Or no...?

**** UPDATE**** I added Kent Marine Buffer and my pH is 8.3

Here's a pic of the setup as of this instant:
My BioCube Adventure! ~~~ <>< ~~~~ 2quls78

Now this is what I have going on in there! Yay!!!!!

My BioCube Adventure! ~~~ <>< ~~~~ 123nrs4

Here is the tank as of 2/16/2010, after the anemone died... cry $$$
My BioCube Adventure! ~~~ <>< ~~~~ 2vj6j2p

As of 2/23/10:
My BioCube Adventure! ~~~ <>< ~~~~ 2mez6lu

Last edited by S&FW_FishyFriend on 3/1/2010, 8:18 pm; edited 7 times in total (Reason for editing : Updating stock list...)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My BioCube Adventure! ~~~ <>< ~~~~   My BioCube Adventure! ~~~ <>< ~~~~ Icon_minitime2/3/2010, 1:20 pm

if you throw a dwarf angel in there, they have a 50-50 chance at nipping corals. if you do get one id put him in there last so he doesnt bully every thing else. everything i have read says a nano tank is PERFECT for a flaming goby.

man i cant wait till i get my nano
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My BioCube Adventure! ~~~ <>< ~~~~   My BioCube Adventure! ~~~ <>< ~~~~ Icon_minitime2/3/2010, 7:28 pm

S&FW_FishyFriend wrote:
I bought a 29 gallon BioCube the other day and have 30 lbs of live sand, about 15-20 lbs of live rock (will add more shortly). My question to ya'll is: what all should I put in here? I know I want a pair of False-Perculas and a long-tentacled anemone. I was also thinking of maybe a flame angelfish, some sort of blenny, perhaps a firefish, I would like to do a little bit of reefing as well...

Also, my water pH is currently at about 7.6, but I need it to be between 8.2- 8.6 ish, what is the safest way to do that for this type of setup (saltwater, future reef?). Would the API pH up be ok? Or no...?

Here's a pic of the setup as of this instant:
My BioCube Adventure! ~~~ <>< ~~~~ 2quls78

use seachem marine buffer or seachem reef buffer, they will raise you ph to the correct ph. as far as what to stock, dont overload it first off. i would say a pair opf clowns is ok, and a firefish and a blenny but i would not suggest a flame or any other angel . as far as a nem goes sure just get one that is small and be prepared for it to outgrow the tank in the future maybe it will plit and you can sell one off LOL but i tend to prefer bubbletips over long tentacle. reefing is fine just make sure you are on top of water parameters and waterchanges. adn also make sure you have good lighting
Back to top Go down
S&FW_FishyFriend
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
S&FW_FishyFriend

Favorite Fish: : Currently so into Reef it's not even funny! Missed having saltwater, now that I've got it again---- STOKED!

PostSubject: Re: My BioCube Adventure! ~~~ <>< ~~~~   My BioCube Adventure! ~~~ <>< ~~~~ Icon_minitime2/4/2010, 10:57 pm

Now I've got a lot more live rock int there! I bought a bunch from a guy for $3 a lb. and the best part is: No bristleworms!!! Yay, I hate those little guys, I know they're helpful, but man they hurt if they get ya!
Back to top Go down
nitty
nitty

Favorite Fish: : Mine:
110gal. Eclectochromis Lobochilus Hertae
56gal. Neolamprologus Brichardi

PostSubject: Re: My BioCube Adventure! ~~~ <>< ~~~~   My BioCube Adventure! ~~~ <>< ~~~~ Icon_minitime2/4/2010, 11:02 pm

S&FW_FishyFriend wrote:
Now I've got a lot more live rock int there! I bought a bunch from a guy for $3 a lb. and the best part is: No bristleworms!!! Yay, I hate those little guys, I know they're helpful, but man they hurt if they get ya!

Mine only come out at night. I've seen my dottyback eating them. I never see them when the lights come on.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My BioCube Adventure! ~~~ <>< ~~~~   My BioCube Adventure! ~~~ <>< ~~~~ Icon_minitime2/5/2010, 12:01 am

LOL you need to come check out my tank and the new hybrid anaconda bristleworms. they attack my fish when they are close to the sand or rocks.
Back to top Go down
nitty
nitty

PostSubject: Re: My BioCube Adventure! ~~~ <>< ~~~~   My BioCube Adventure! ~~~ <>< ~~~~ Icon_minitime2/5/2010, 12:05 am

I've seen one come out the sand before. Freaked me out affraid
Back to top Go down
CajunGator
CajunGator

Favorite Fish: : Cichlids, WC Syn Petricola, Shellies, Festae, Mbu Puffers, Koi Angels, ABN, Piranha, Mermaids

PostSubject: Re: My BioCube Adventure! ~~~ <>< ~~~~   My BioCube Adventure! ~~~ <>< ~~~~ Icon_minitime2/5/2010, 12:25 am

Can you get rid of the bristle wogms????

**********USAfishbox.com*************

My BioCube Adventure! ~~~ <>< ~~~~ LSU_CajunGator
My BioCube Adventure! ~~~ <>< ~~~~ CMSIG
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My BioCube Adventure! ~~~ <>< ~~~~   My BioCube Adventure! ~~~ <>< ~~~~ Icon_minitime2/5/2010, 12:54 am

yea, the only sure fire way i know is to leave the rock out for a couple days and every thing will die, which is almost fine with me. im tired of seeing these guys
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My BioCube Adventure! ~~~ <>< ~~~~   My BioCube Adventure! ~~~ <>< ~~~~ Icon_minitime2/7/2010, 2:29 pm

you dont want to get rid of bristleworms they are part of the natural order of things, the thing is to keep them in check and a wrasse does just that
Back to top Go down
S&FW_FishyFriend
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
S&FW_FishyFriend

PostSubject: Re: My BioCube Adventure! ~~~ <>< ~~~~   My BioCube Adventure! ~~~ <>< ~~~~ Icon_minitime2/11/2010, 3:37 pm

I have been thinking and I think this is going to be my stocking list for the 29 gallon BioCube:

2 False Percula Clownfish (Amphiprion ocellaris)—4.5” Reef Compatible
1 Geometric Pygmy Hawkfish (Plectranthias inermis)—2” Reef Compatible
1 Mandarin Dragonet (Synchiropus splendidus)—2.5” Reef Compatible
1 Fu Manchu Lionfish (Dendrochirus biocellatus)—5” Reef Compatible w/Caution

I'm going to start out with the 2 Ocellaris clowns and go from there. Anybody have any experience with the Geometric Pygmy Hawkfish? Do they behave the same way as Flame and Spotted Hawkfish? I'm going to leave the Mandarin dragonet for last to make sure I can provide for it's dietary needs, but I'm super excited about this! I really wanted to go buy fish today, but I think the weather is going to restrict that plan... mad crazy
Back to top Go down
nitty
nitty

PostSubject: Re: My BioCube Adventure! ~~~ <>< ~~~~   My BioCube Adventure! ~~~ <>< ~~~~ Icon_minitime2/11/2010, 4:05 pm

False perc's only get 3.5" and that be the female. Male's are like 2".
I had a Geometric Pygmy Hawk, I have no idea what he eat or when he eat.
I had him for maybe a year and a half before I sold that tank and I only seen him
once every 2 months in a 75gallon. He never came out.

Fu Manchu Lionfish
This is only my opinion, but I wouldn't keep anything vemonous in a tank smaller than a 55. Again, this is my opinion. ""PLUS"" He WILL eat shrimp and snails, so you can't keep a cleaner crew either.
Back to top Go down
S&FW_FishyFriend
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
S&FW_FishyFriend

PostSubject: Re: My BioCube Adventure! ~~~ <>< ~~~~   My BioCube Adventure! ~~~ <>< ~~~~ Icon_minitime2/11/2010, 4:11 pm

nitty wrote:
I had him for maybe a year and a half before I sold that tank and I only seen him

Fu Manchu Lionfish
This is only my opinion, but I wouldn't keep anything vemonous in a tank smaller than a 55. Again, this is my opinion. ""PLUS"" He WILL eat shrimp and snails, so you can't keep a cleaner crew either.

Oh man! Well I guess the Fu Manchu is out! Well, if he's out then I can afford a larger hawkfish like a flame or spotted... Nitty, any personal preference between the two and why?
I know about the size on the False percs, I was just quickly copy & pasting form another source.... lol
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My BioCube Adventure! ~~~ <>< ~~~~   My BioCube Adventure! ~~~ <>< ~~~~ Icon_minitime2/11/2010, 4:15 pm

nitty wrote:

Fu Manchu Lionfish
My BioCube Adventure! ~~~ <>< ~~~~ 858205
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My BioCube Adventure! ~~~ <>< ~~~~   My BioCube Adventure! ~~~ <>< ~~~~ Icon_minitime2/11/2010, 4:17 pm

just my opinion but i wouldnt go with a hawkfish and instead would go for a lawnmower blenny. although they blend in you would see him alot more and he would actually graze on algae that grows on your rock.
Back to top Go down
nitty
nitty

PostSubject: Re: My BioCube Adventure! ~~~ <>< ~~~~   My BioCube Adventure! ~~~ <>< ~~~~ Icon_minitime2/11/2010, 7:25 pm

My BioCube Adventure! ~~~ <>< ~~~~ 858205

If you want to do reef, I'd stay away from hawks. They're about 50/50 to when it comes to snails and shrimp. If you doing the perc's, (again my opinion) check out
the:
fathead anthias
yellow watchmen goby w/ a pistol shrimp(mine just paired up)
yellow assessor
purple firefish
banggai & pajama cardinals

All of these are great for tanks under 30. I'm speaking from experience.
Back to top Go down
Rachael0805
Captain
Captain
Rachael0805

Favorite Fish: : Red Devil, Red Terror, Green Terror...

PostSubject: Re: My BioCube Adventure! ~~~ <>< ~~~~   My BioCube Adventure! ~~~ <>< ~~~~ Icon_minitime2/11/2010, 7:27 pm

This is the thread I am going to use when I start mine! Just a week to go!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My BioCube Adventure! ~~~ <>< ~~~~   My BioCube Adventure! ~~~ <>< ~~~~ Icon_minitime2/11/2010, 10:15 pm

hows the filtration with your cube?
Back to top Go down
Rachael0805
Captain
Captain
Rachael0805

PostSubject: Re: My BioCube Adventure! ~~~ <>< ~~~~   My BioCube Adventure! ~~~ <>< ~~~~ Icon_minitime2/11/2010, 10:30 pm

Oh thats right, tim is doing a cube too
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My BioCube Adventure! ~~~ <>< ~~~~   My BioCube Adventure! ~~~ <>< ~~~~ Icon_minitime2/11/2010, 11:12 pm

i thought tim gave up LOL
Back to top Go down
Rachael0805
Captain
Captain
Rachael0805

PostSubject: Re: My BioCube Adventure! ~~~ <>< ~~~~   My BioCube Adventure! ~~~ <>< ~~~~ Icon_minitime2/11/2010, 11:34 pm

NO I dont think so, he better not have
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My BioCube Adventure! ~~~ <>< ~~~~   My BioCube Adventure! ~~~ <>< ~~~~ Icon_minitime2/11/2010, 11:37 pm

i would like to get a 29 gallon biocube myself to put the room mates clowns in
Back to top Go down
Rachael0805
Captain
Captain
Rachael0805

PostSubject: Re: My BioCube Adventure! ~~~ <>< ~~~~   My BioCube Adventure! ~~~ <>< ~~~~ Icon_minitime2/11/2010, 11:38 pm

My cube is currently taken but it will be running soon. Dont know what to put in it though. Its a 16gl
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My BioCube Adventure! ~~~ <>< ~~~~   My BioCube Adventure! ~~~ <>< ~~~~ Icon_minitime2/11/2010, 11:52 pm

lordraptor1 wrote:
i thought tim gave up LOL

im not giving up lol ive told you 6 times im just downsizing since i cant keep fish alive in my 55
Back to top Go down
Rachael0805
Captain
Captain
Rachael0805

PostSubject: Re: My BioCube Adventure! ~~~ <>< ~~~~   My BioCube Adventure! ~~~ <>< ~~~~ Icon_minitime2/12/2010, 12:14 am

See I thought he didnt give up
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My BioCube Adventure! ~~~ <>< ~~~~   My BioCube Adventure! ~~~ <>< ~~~~ Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

My BioCube Adventure! ~~~ <>< ~~~~
Page 1 of 5Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
UsaFishBox :: :: SaltWater Aquaria :: Saltwater Setups-
Jump to: