UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

Need Filter Suggestions

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
SeaWitch
Sergeant
Sergeant
SeaWitch

Favorite Fish: : I love goldies of any type! I also love bettas. I hope to eventually get more tropical fish, though.

Need Filter Suggestions Empty
PostSubject: Need Filter Suggestions   Need Filter Suggestions Icon_minitime1/26/2011, 2:17 pm

I really want to set my 150g stock tank back up outside this spring for my goldies, but I want a filter that will be easy to clean and deal with in general. The last one I had was an internal pond filter with a fountain and the only thing I hated about it was it was SO hard to clean!!! Any suggestions? Also, what can you do for hair algae? Last summer, I finally conquered the green water by setting the 150g up on my porch, with a roof overhang. However, the hair algae took over and it was awful!!! Thanks!!!
Back to top Go down
sschult
Sergeant
Sergeant
sschult

PostSubject: Re: Need Filter Suggestions   Need Filter Suggestions Icon_minitime1/26/2011, 4:32 pm

Since you mentioned that it appears lots of sun its not an issue, either fl flag fish, they work pretty good on algae, or recently I found that astatotilapia Calliptera are like lawn mowers when it comes to algae, have a 55 gal that for some reason the algae grows there rather quickly since I put the callipteras in that tank its over, hope this helps. Need Filter Suggestions 772341
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Need Filter Suggestions   Need Filter Suggestions Icon_minitime1/26/2011, 4:35 pm

Mollys also eat hair algae.
Look into the cascade 1500 canister filter, takes me 15 minutes to clean mine.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Need Filter Suggestions   Need Filter Suggestions Icon_minitime1/26/2011, 7:02 pm

check cascades, fluvals, or renas, those are your best bet you should read up on each one and see what will best work for your needs.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Need Filter Suggestions   Need Filter Suggestions Icon_minitime1/26/2011, 7:04 pm

I had a fluval, it was a pain.... cascades are simple and easy IMO
Back to top Go down
SeaWitch
Sergeant
Sergeant
SeaWitch

Favorite Fish: : I love goldies of any type! I also love bettas. I hope to eventually get more tropical fish, though.

PostSubject: Re: Need Filter Suggestions   Need Filter Suggestions Icon_minitime1/26/2011, 7:42 pm

Thanks for the suggestions! Now, if I were to get mollys or callipteras, what can I do with them after summer is over? I usually put my GF back in the 125g. Can these types of trops live with GF? Also, will it be okay for my albino bn plecos to go outside for the summer, too?
Fern, I will look into the Cascades. I have a Fluval FX5 and it is a PIA to clean!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Need Filter Suggestions   Need Filter Suggestions Icon_minitime1/26/2011, 7:47 pm

Cover the back and sides with heavy black plastic sun block this will divert some of the sun rays that algae need to grow.
Back to top Go down
SeaWitch
Sergeant
Sergeant
SeaWitch

PostSubject: Re: Need Filter Suggestions   Need Filter Suggestions Icon_minitime1/26/2011, 7:50 pm

The whole tank is black. Also, it only gets the morning sun, too. When I had it on the shady side of the house, I didn't get hair algae, but I got green water. That is why I moved it last summer. I added Barley extract to it to try and make sure the green water didn't come back and I am wondering if this might have helped with the hair algae somehow?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Need Filter Suggestions   Need Filter Suggestions Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Need Filter Suggestions
Page 1 of 1